ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: loaded horn systems  (Read 24356 times)

Nick Simon

• Dark Side of the Moon, MS
loaded horn systems
« on: February 08, 2013, 03:26:39 PM »

Does anybody remember or have pictures of a loaded horn PA from the 70's that were like fiberglass shells?  There were a couple of regional club bands that used them in the southern US.  Eli and Riverstreet were two bands that I remember that had them.  They were shaped kind of like North Drums.  I can't remember the name of them, but I can still see those big white dual 18 horn housings that latched on to the actual cabinet.  All of it had to be ratchet strapped together.

Rick Powell

Re: loaded horn systems
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 05:36:34 PM »

Does anybody remember or have pictures of a loaded horn PA from the 70's that were like fiberglass shells?  There were a couple of regional club bands that used them in the southern US.  Eli and Riverstreet were two bands that I remember that had them.  They were shaped kind of like North Drums.  I can't remember the name of them, but I can still see those big white dual 18 horn housings that latched on to the actual cabinet.  All of it had to be ratchet strapped together.

Sounds like the Community Leviathan that had a speaker pod that latched to the big horn.  i had a pair, and a pair of 12" mids in a Community fiberglass horn, and a pair of Community HF horns w/JBL 2440 drivers.  It was a pretty loud system in the day.  There was a system with a bunch of Levis mounted in boxes that went on one of Boston's early tours.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 05:55:58 PM »

Is that like a drunk boxer?
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 09:09:26 PM »

I think John Meyer made some cabinets that looked like what you describe.

There were a number of other small manufacturers making their own horns.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Tom Young

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 07:44:16 AM »

I also think you're referring to Community Leviathans with mouth extensions. Except the Leviathan was dual 15".

On a side note, Roger North Drums (RND) began to manufacture HF horns in the 1980's which were used by Northwest Sound, among others.

FWIW
Tom Young
Electroacoustic Design Services
Oxford CT
203-888-6217

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2013, 08:20:37 AM »

I also think you're referring to Community Leviathans with mouth extensions. Except the Leviathan was dual 15".

On a side note, Roger North Drums (RND) began to manufacture HF horns in the 1980's which were used by Northwest Sound, among others.

FWIW
I remember some Northwest cabinets that had a pair of Gauss 15" in a straight horn-with a 2" Gauss HF on top and for the "sizzle" they had 6 piezo tweeters in a "line array" down the middle of the LF horn.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

duane massey

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2013, 12:47:25 AM »

We were Community fans in the 70's. Had 6-8 Levis, 4 w/extensions, 4 M4's w/ large format horns + extensions, and 6-8 matching 2
horns. All TAD loaded, sounded incredibly clear (for that time period). Worst part was grinding the edge of the TAD 1601's to fit into the pods. Later added some SB80's w/ TAD 1201's. Sold off most of the system several years later when we quit doing live shows, but I still have a pair of M4's w/ large horns in my warehouse.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Nick Simon

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2013, 12:45:34 PM »

That was what I was looking for... not many pics available for them, but I did find a picture on Community's website in the history.  There's a pic of two of them in the middle of the page..

Thanks, guys..  I just remember having to help lug those behemoths into the club...

Nick Simon

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2013, 12:51:10 PM »

I remember some Northwest cabinets that had a pair of Gauss 15" in a straight horn-with a 2" Gauss HF on top and for the "sizzle" they had 6 piezo tweeters in a "line array" down the middle of the LF horn.

A band I worked with in my late teens had a pair of 15" Gauss "Scoops"....

Lee Brenkman

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2013, 02:27:57 AM »

I think John Meyer made some cabinets that looked like what you describe.

There were a number of other small manufacturers making their own horns.

The Meyer Glyph horns weren't ever "toured" or used by bar bands.  They were installed in a venue in San Rafael, California called Pepperland.

They were pretty good sounding by the standards of the day and led to John's hiring by McCune Sound in San Francisco to design a one box system to replace their Altec Voice of the Theater "horn on top of cabinets" rigs.  The JM3 was revolutionary with it's three way all in one box configuration and dedicated processor and amp rack.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2013, 02:27:57 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 23 queries.