ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ElectroVoice ZX1i speakers  (Read 4493 times)

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
ElectroVoice ZX1i speakers
« on: February 22, 2013, 01:44:03 PM »

Anybody use the ElectroVoice ZX1i speakers (in the 90x50 configuration)? How do they sound? Do you have a power amp recommendation?

I'm considering specing them for an installed sound system in our banquet hall (about 64'x49'x15' with a carpeted floor). Looking at maybe 6 to 8 to be used for background music and lectures, etc... 

We have other solutions for real live music or performance types events in this space.

Edit: after looking at the specs, it appears that I may be more interested in the ZX1 (i.e. non i version)

Second edit: after looking more thoroughly at the specs, I am now only interested in the i version, as they have flying and mounting options that the non i version does not.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 01:55:51 PM by Justice C. Bigler »
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Joseph D. Macry

• Austin TX
Re: ElectroVoice ZX1i speakers
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 01:55:31 PM »

Anybody use the ElectroVoice ZX1i speakers (in the 90x50 configuration)? How do they sound? Do you have a power amp recommendation?

I'm considering specing them for an installed sound system in our banquet hall (about 64'x49'x15' with a carpeted floor). Looking at maybe 6 to 8 to be used for background music and lectures, etc... 

We have other solutions for real live music or performance types events in this space.

I use these all the time for Fine Arts classrooms, i.e. school band, choir, drama classes. Two per room, though I bet these rooms are somewhat smaller than yours. I like these speakers, they have big sound for the size. The rotatable horn is handy since I mount them sideways. And I like the included mount; very quick and easy for wall mounting.

Only problem I have had with them is sometimes the Phoenix connector has popped out, usually because some cleaning person with a Swiffer-on-a-pole hit the wire while dusting.

We matched these with QSC ISA280 power amp. I think it's rather underpowered for these speakers, but it provides plenty enough power for my purpose, and my boss wouldn't let me upgrade them. For background music, you may not need them to crank loud, but the amps of course should have enough power to accomplish the purpose without clipping, and preferably power to spare.
Joseph Macry,
Austin, TX

Tom Young

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 03:43:54 PM »

Edit: after looking at the specs, it appears that I may be more interested in the ZX1 (i.e. non i version)

Second edit: after looking more thoroughly at the specs, I am now only interested in the i version, as they have flying and mounting options that the non i version does not.

Hey Justice-

I have been using the ZX series since it debuted and, in particular, have found the Zx1 to be almost a stellar performer for it's size, weight and cost. I use them as mains, delay fills and stage monitors. Along with impressive LF resposne and power handling, they just plain sound good and typically need minimal EQ.

The mounting plate kit provided by EV for the Zx1 is sort of lame (klugey), although it does do the job. The mounting arm provided for the Zx1i, which is the same as used in the EVID series from EV, works fairly well as long as you don't over-tighten the pivot bolt. The coverage choices available for the Zx1i (90x50 or 100x100) may, or may not, be a factor for your intended use.

HTH-

Tom Young
Electroacoustic Design Services
Oxford CT
203-888-6217

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 10:23:59 PM »

Thanks guys, seems that the ZX1i will be a good choice, and I like the rotatable horn configuration and will probably get the 90x50 model for this room.
Justice C. Bigler
www.justicebigler.com

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 03:41:09 AM »

Thanks guys, seems that the ZX1i will be a good choice, and I like the rotatable horn configuration and will probably get the 90x50 model for this room.
I've found the zx1 to be one of the better sounding plastic install speakers available. 
It is expensive so keep that in mind when getting the "i" version with 70V, it's a real waste of money to install dozens of them for paging type work and using only the 25W (or less) tap!
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

Geoff Doane

• Halifax, NS
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 08:27:32 PM »

I own and use a dozen or so of both the passive and active (ZXA1) models, not the install version, and have been very pleased with them.

One or two boxes on each side of a PLX1804 (450-600W) seems about right.  As monitors, it keeps the musicians happy, and I haven't blown anything up yet.

They don't get really loud, so I only use them as mains for lighter duty jobs, or as delay speakers, where something else is doing most of the work.

GTD

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2013, 07:58:49 AM »

How and where do you plan on mounting them?  For background music and speech in a Banquet Hall I'd typically be looking more at some higher quality recessed ceiling speakers.  Possibly with some delay zones and maybe head table zones depending on the potential head table and seating arrangements..

Åke Holmlund

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2013, 05:44:54 PM »

I kind of like them BUT they are not indestructable! More than one year after I had some delivered I found out one of them was (probably) damaged in transit. Some of the connections between the front and the back of the enclosure was damaged. Also, if You look at the Vertical Off Axis Frequency Response its not perfect! On the other hand, show me something better at the same price point!

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2013, 12:34:37 AM »

How and where do you plan on mounting them?  For background music and speech in a Banquet Hall I'd typically be looking more at some higher quality recessed ceiling speakers.

Likely mounted to the wall at the top just under the ceiling. We have an ornamental drop ceiling with chandeliers built into it. Other than the fact that there is no way to access the crawl space above the ceiling, and there is no support for someone to work on it; I just don't want to mess with ceiling speakers because the aluminum that the ceiling is made out of has no spare parts, so if we fuck something up, it's going to cost a lot to fix it and probably  take a long time.
Justice C. Bigler
www.justicebigler.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2013, 12:34:37 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 22 queries.