ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Line array upgrade: Sound Bridge - Xyon 7208 xy to replace my qrx 115/75  (Read 16460 times)

Conrad Muzoora

• Mbarara, Uganda. www.koolinvestments.co.ug
    • Kool Events Uganda

Ok, I have heard nice things and not so nice about line arrays. I have been using 4 qrx 115s (2 per side) and 4 qrx 218 either center clustered or 2 per side. This has been mostly for shows of about 1000 heads outdoors. I plan to get bigger, mostly to cover larger crowns for spoken speech(May be up to 10,000) I care more about clear vocals and speech intelligibility.

I Have now purchased another pair of qrx218 subs to make 6 total and this am sure is enough bottom for the occasional DJ or recorded music playback, i would love a small portable line array  of 4 boxes per side that would significantly outperform my qrx 115 and throw much further.

I came across the Sound Bridge - Xyon 7208 xy used and my budget is around 10K. I have enough amplification and processing (a bunch of qsc plx and rmx amps, dbx driveracks 260 and PA+)

Will 8 of these boxes do the job(4 per side) or are there others i should be looking at? Or am i better off with a delay stack of some more qrx115s at let say 200-300 feet?

Conrad
www.kooleventug.com

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
Re: Line array upgrade: Sound Bridge - Xyon 7208 xy to replace my qrx 115/75
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 02:27:41 AM »

I have heard mixed reviews of that brand although I have never heard them myself. I find that most of the time when you have a speaker that requires processing ( which these will ) it is best to run with the dedicated stuff made by the manufacturer for them. I'm certain they will sound just fine with some work, but it may not be the cure all you want. They don't get super loud and that small of an enclosure may not get directional control over enough frequencies to work for long throw? I too thought that going with a line array set up would be good for me, but am considering point source again for my next big purchase. I think fully horn loaded point source boxes ( designed for long throw ) would be a better way to go than line array systems shorter than 6 boxes.

My research has wound up showing that line array boxes as small as 4 per side can achieve line array characteristics. But the control of frequencies is only good down to the low mids which are located above the crossover point. That means that in long throw applications the back of the listening area may have a much different sound than the near field listeners. Prediction software is the only thing that can really tell. It may behoove you to try a few generations in some software to see the results and where control drops off with line array clusters that small.

With horn loaded point source boxes that are designed for full range, you can get full directional control over all frequencies for that boxes coverage area. The sound still drops at 6db per doubling of distance, but you will have a box that will control the sound better over a longer distance. This may or may not add up to more volume in the rear listening area, but it should add up to better sonic coverage there, with the volume you do have. Just food for thought.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 06:31:46 AM »

My research has wound up showing that line array boxes as small as 4 per side can achieve line array characteristics.
It is not the number of boxes-but rather the overall length of the array.

So when using "mini" boxes-it is going to take more of them to equal just a few of the larger boxes.

Something the advertising likes to forget----------------------------------------
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Vinny DAgostino

• Warwick, RI
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 09:08:31 AM »

I myself have never heard a Sound Bridge system but...
I also have never read one possitive review of any of their gear.

Here is some interesting reading:
http://soundforums.net/product-reviews/5705-soundbridge-xyon-good-lord.html

« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 09:44:48 AM by Vinny DAgostino »

gary makovsky

• Delmont (Pittsburgh) PA
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 10:21:48 AM »

The Xyons work in pairs so 4 boxes actually perform like 2 and given the short length I treat them as point source. The only processing for the 4 is crossover settings.  4 per side is what we do at a summer outdoor series for up to 5K.  Some EQ tweaking in the high mids and boosts in the low mid around 250 is all i do. I never have done more than 6 per side for larger events and never needed extra processing. I like the boxes outdoors but indoors takes a lot more EQing for mid size rooms.
Where are you located?

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 11:23:04 AM »

Don't do it. You'll never get happy with the way it sounds over what you are using now.

I would recommend buying more QRX and finding a way to fly it. If you get those boxes up in the air you won't have a problem doing a speech for a very large crowd. 4 per side should do it, flown 2 over 2.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Scott Wagner

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 12:31:22 PM »

The Xyons work in pairs so 4 boxes actually perform like 2 and given the short length I treat them as point source.
I'll never understand why people buy line array boxes to run them as point source.  Just get a decent point source box.  As for Sound Bridge:  one word, "don't."
Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2013, 01:25:15 PM »

Ok, I have heard nice things and not so nice about line arrays. I have been using 4 qrx 115s (2 per side) and 4 qrx 218 either center clustered or 2 per side. This has been mostly for shows of about 1000 heads outdoors. I plan to get bigger, mostly to cover larger crowns for spoken speech(May be up to 10,000) I care more about clear vocals and speech intelligibility.

Run, do not walk, away from Soundbridge.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Conrad Muzoora

• Mbarara, Uganda. www.koolinvestments.co.ug
    • Kool Events Uganda
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2013, 02:00:15 PM »

Attached some pictures to give an idea of what am talking about. I could only get about 1/4 of the crowd at the best view.
Conrad
www.kooleventug.com

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2013, 03:15:57 PM »

You should have bought the four SLS LS8695 columns that I had for sale recently. If you can find some used they would be a very good choice for what you are trying to do. Stacked 2 per side they can cover a VERY large room or open area for speech and moderate music application over subs.
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2013, 03:15:57 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 25 queries.