ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Line array upgrade: Sound Bridge - Xyon 7208 xy to replace my qrx 115/75  (Read 16599 times)

Mark McFarlane

Re: Line array upgrade: Sound Bridge - Xyon 7208 xy to replace my qrx 115/75
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2013, 03:11:13 AM »

Hi Mark,
Thanks for your input. I understand the reasoning behind the stage issue. The previous stage was down in the valley, better visual but without a good sound system and a good way to fly them, i guessed the best way to get the speakers over people's heads (And the tarpaulin tents) was to get the stage higher up! At this function, hearing is 100x more important than sight and i had to make the best out of what i had.

I can surely get volunteers to dig trenches for the cable runs to the delay stacks.

Conrad

I can see where tents are problematic, still the problem seems the same whether you are on top of or at the bottom of the hill: the speakers need to be high enough to get over obstructions, but pointing either up or down at the crowd. Best of luck with the event, sounds exciting.
Mark McFarlane

Mike Christy

• Southern Maine
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2013, 05:53:27 AM »

Does anyone have any support for 4 qrx 212/75 or 153/75? As i said i have enough subs, will have a total of 6 qrx 218s and a bunch of other stuff. The trouble i have with the 212/153 is the weight and the fact that they cant be used for the regular "speaker on stick" kind of work, but if they are what i need to do this kind of work i will consider them.

Conrad, Im assuming you are asking about getting these up in the air. Ive had good luck with scaffolding - purchased at a home improvement center, or maybe you can rent some from a construction house? If you can't place the boxes on top of the subs (although with 6 subs I would think they would be high enough), scaffold works well. Just strap the boxes down - looped through the piping... Ill send photos if needed.

Best,
Mike

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2013, 04:38:13 PM »

Another thing that comes to mind is the phenomenon where sound ( especially high frequencies ) actually rise up over distance from heat. This is why there is debate on whether mixing on risers is a good idea. It may be beneficial to place the stage back in the valley? It could be possible that lack of coverage is an issue from sound literally flying over peoples heads. I still think you will need the delay line, but just more food for thought to add to the mess.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Gabe Nahshon

• Delicate Productions, Inc.
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2013, 10:12:07 AM »

Spend the 10K on something that will actually make a difference to these people, like educating them, feeding them, or teaching them some sustainable agriculture techniques.

Ok, I have heard nice things and not so nice about line arrays. I have been using 4 qrx 115s (2 per side) and 4 qrx 218 either center clustered or 2 per side. This has been mostly for shows of about 1000 heads outdoors. I plan to get bigger, mostly to cover larger crowns for spoken speech(May be up to 10,000) I care more about clear vocals and speech intelligibility.

I Have now purchased another pair of qrx218 subs to make 6 total and this am sure is enough bottom for the occasional DJ or recorded music playback, i would love a small portable line array  of 4 boxes per side that would significantly outperform my qrx 115 and throw much further.

I came across the Sound Bridge - Xyon 7208 xy used and my budget is around 10K. I have enough amplification and processing (a bunch of qsc plx and rmx amps, dbx driveracks 260 and PA+)

Will 8 of these boxes do the job(4 per side) or are there others i should be looking at? Or am i better off with a delay stack of some more qrx115s at let say 200-300 feet?

Conrad
www.kooleventug.com

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2013, 01:08:34 PM »

Conrad, like so many things it audio, "it depends".  Will too-short of a line benefit the whole coverage of the area as pictures?  Probably not, but this is a non-traditional setup and the client expectations are very different than those most of us are used to, so it depends.  Will the same product benefit your company in other ways for other events?  We don't know and it's probably a guess for you as well.

From a business standpoint, I'd be inclined to purchase more of what makes you money now or will allow you to do new, more profitable work you can't get now.  Purchasing specifically to do a gig that is not profitable now and unlikely to be profitable anytime soon, is a bad business decision.

For that reason I suggest doing a delay ring with more QRX.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 01:10:27 PM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2013, 04:53:24 PM »

^^^^^^^^^^^^

That is my thought as well. Run with it......
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2013, 08:08:18 AM »

Spend the 10K on something that will actually make a difference to these people, like educating them, feeding them, or teaching them some sustainable agriculture techniques.
With respect, this is a fairly offensive thing to say. Firstly, the same could be said of any of us in America - that we should sell all our sound gear to feed the poor. Secondly, Mr. Muzoora seems to already be doing charitable work for these people, and is simply trying to do a better job with the resources he has.

Conrad Muzoora

• Mbarara, Uganda. www.koolinvestments.co.ug
    • Kool Events Uganda
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2013, 08:14:01 AM »

Conrad, like so many things it audio, "it depends".  Will too-short of a line benefit the whole coverage of the area as pictures?  Probably not, but this is a non-traditional setup and the client expectations are very different than those most of us are used to, so it depends.  Will the same product benefit your company in other ways for other events?  We don't know and it's probably a guess for you as well.

From a business standpoint, I'd be inclined to purchase more of what makes you money now or will allow you to do new, more profitable work you can't get now.  Purchasing specifically to do a gig that is not profitable now and unlikely to be profitable anytime soon, is a bad business decision.

For that reason I suggest doing a delay ring with more QRX.

Noted,
There is a growing need for sound coverage for bigger and bigger events in my small town but they usually have a small budget so cant justify spending on "Big" line arrays. I have had to stretch my qrx 115s to do for more than they are designed for.

Prior to this post in the launge, i was strongly considering a small line array thinking that it would improve my capacity in providing for these growing shows but i now know better!
I have now zeroed on buying another 4 qrx 115 or 112s because i have plenty of use for these in my wedding / Dj business.

Thank you everyone for the very useful input.
Conrad

www.kooleventug.com

Conrad Muzoora

• Kool Events Uganda
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2013, 08:19:53 AM »

With respect, this is a fairly offensive thing to say. Firstly, the same could be said of any of us in America - that we should sell all our sound gear to feed the poor. Secondly, Mr. Muzoora seems to already be doing charitable work for these people, and is simply trying to do a better job with the resources he has.
+1
These are not starving people, majority are some old folks coming to this church mission. Plenty of the young people in the pictures are in school but came to attend this annual event purely for spiritual reasons. Thanks everyone for objective input.

Conrad
www.kooleventug.com

Conrad Muzoora

• Kool Events Uganda
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2013, 08:23:14 AM »

Conrad, Im assuming you are asking about getting these up in the air. Ive had good luck with scaffolding - purchased at a home improvement center, or maybe you can rent some from a construction house? If you can't place the boxes on top of the subs (although with 6 subs I would think they would be high enough), scaffold works well. Just strap the boxes down - looped through the piping... Ill send photos if needed.

Best,
Mike

Thanks Mike,
I sure could use some pictures on how to improvise scafolding.
Conrad

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2013, 08:23:14 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 24 queries.