ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Mackie DL1608 problems, issues and gripes  (Read 23341 times)

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
Re: Mackie DL1608 problems, issues and gripes
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2013, 12:49:37 PM »

Mackie was once a decent company run by audio designers and managed by business folks with some passion for the industry.  That went away when Mackie was purchased by LOUD/Sun Capital Partners.  Mackie has been screwed, to varying degrees, ever since.

Look what LOUD did to EAW.  If corporations had been people a few years earlier, LOUD could have been charged with attempted murder....
It is interesting to lecture about a different company's history for a change. Since I was in the trenches as a competitor, during their meteoric rise and later stumbles, I have a slightly different impression.

If anything they pioneered "consumer style" marketing/merchandising into the MI business. Prior to their, serviceable but otherwise a yawner of a 16ch mixer with only 6 mic preamps, they upended the strong dealer system of MI product distribution, to a direct marketing model, where the customer was pre-sold on an obscure feature, so customers walked into the local dealer asking for that "xyz model" mixer, and leaving disappointed if they didn't have it. Even though 99% of that customer base didn't know was "solo" was, they had to have it, thanks to a larger ad spend for that one SKU, than I had to spend on thousands of SKUs.

While they threw barrels of ink proclaiming design advances they actually took advantage of the same general performance improvements in integrated circuit technology we all did. They went from $0 to $50M in mixer market share in only a few years thanks to agressive advertising and marketing. I know because some of those millions came out of my market share.  :'(

But live by the sword, die by the sword, they were hoist on their own petard, when "Made in USA" was abandoned by consumers en masse, as they purchased carbon copy Mackie replica products made in China instead. Anyone around back then remembers the lawsuits and even product changes made by the copy cat, to moot that major lawsuit (as I recall they changed the meter bridge on their mixer between two trade shows.).

But now Mackie was left with millions invested in a "made is USA by Mackoids" advertising investment into good will that evaporated into thin air overnight (well not exactly overnight). To add insult to injury there were missteps later after they moved manufacturing off-shore with at least one contract manufacturer going belly up on them..

Fortunes change and I don't blame Sun capital completely for the for the trajectory they ended up on, but there is no doubt that the sharp pencil crowd are soul-less.  A house built on a weak foundation will not stand... (Did I leave any cliches out?).

My viewpoint may be biased and a little snarky, but more true than not IMO.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2013, 12:56:20 PM »

All true, and yes, you left out "The rain in Spain falls mainly on the plain.".
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 08:56:22 PM by Bob Leonard »
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2013, 01:39:49 PM »

Good to see I stirred up some old memories. ;)  I appreciate your perspective from the design/marketing/manufacturing side.

After reading my post again, I probably should have included some kind of direct comparison between then and now.  Then, you could actually get a Mackoid on the phone for support, and parts could be had.  Now?  They can't keep a forum up and running and give the appearance they take cover when customers post about negative experiences.  Parts support?  It costs money.

Mackie honed the "make them think they need....." marketing in ways that hadn't been done on such a huge scale in non-consumer audio before.  I hate them for the word "unity" to this day.... 

It is interesting to lecture about a different company's history for a change. Since I was in the trenches as a competitor, during their meteoric rise and later stumbles, I have a slightly different impression.

If anything they pioneered "consumer style" marketing/merchandising into the MI business. Prior to their, serviceable but otherwise a yawner of a 16ch mixer with only 6 mic preamps, they upended the strong dealer system of MI product distribution, to a direct marketing model, where the customer was pre-sold on an obscure feature, so customers walked into the local dealer asking for that "xyz model" mixer, and leaving disappointed if they didn't have it. Even though 99% of that customer base didn't know was "solo" was, they had to have it, thanks to a larger ad spend for that one SKU, than I had to spend on thousands of SKUs.

While they threw barrels of ink proclaiming design advances they actually took advantage of the same general performance improvements in integrated circuit technology we all did. They went from $0 to $50M in mixer market share in only a few years thanks to agressive advertising and marketing. I know because some of those millions came out of my market share.  :'(

But live by the sword, die by the sword, they were hoist on their own petard, when "Made in USA" was abandoned by consumers en masse, as they purchased carbon copy Mackie replica products made in China instead. Anyone around back then remembers the lawsuits and even product changes made by the copy cat, to moot that major lawsuit (as I recall they changed the meter bridge on their mixer between two trade shows.).

But now Mackie was left with millions invested in a "made is USA by Mackoids" advertising investment into good will that evaporated into thin air overnight (well not exactly overnight). To add insult to injury there were missteps later after they moved manufacturing off-shore with at least one contract manufacturer going belly up on them..

Fortunes change and I don't blame Sun capital completely for the for the trajectory they ended up on, but there is no doubt that the sharp pencil crowd are soul-less.  A house built on a weak foundation will not stand... (Did I leave any cliches out?).

My viewpoint may be biased and a little snarky, but more true than not IMO.

JR
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2013, 03:53:31 PM »

I remember reading on another audio forum that the first pioneers (just like in mid west) where the ones with arrows in their backs.

I take serious exception to posting an analogy such as this.  Read what you wrote, think about it and consider an apology to the First American Community.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2013, 05:17:06 PM »

I take serious exception to posting an analogy such as this.  Read what you wrote, think about it and consider an apology to the First American Community.

---deleted to not offend ----  as usual read my mind

JR

« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 06:00:29 PM by John Roberts {JR} »
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Geoff Doane

• Halifax, NS
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2013, 05:39:07 PM »

After reading my post again, I probably should have included some kind of direct comparison between then and now.  Then, you could actually get a Mackoid on the phone for support, and parts could be had.  Now?  They can't keep a forum up and running and give the appearance they take cover when customers post about negative experiences.  Parts support?  It costs money.

Mackie honed the "make them think they need....." marketing in ways that hadn't been done on such a huge scale in non-consumer audio before.  I hate them for the word "unity" to this day....

Yeah there really was customer support at one time.  We had one of those SR40s (at the day job), and it had a few little noise issues.  Mackie came back with a mod to null out the noise, and console worked OK for a few years.  That's the same kind of service response I would expect from Studer or Ampex back in the day, although their products generally aged a little more gracefully.

As for things staying the same, Mackie (and almost everyone else) is still touting their preamps as the greatest thing since sliced bread, and the purchasing masses seem to lap it up.  In fact, the original CR1604 had preamps that could receive an AM radio station like nobody's business.  Maybe the reason Yamaha seems to get no respect is that they haven't resorted to BS advertising like the rest of them.  ::)

GTD

Marc Platt

• Classic LAB
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2013, 08:03:35 PM »

I respect yamaha, I currently own many of their products and have owned several other Yamaha products in the past.
 I own:
 Yamaha dualsport motorcycle, a yamaha grizzley atv, owned 2 yamaha banshee atvs and a raptor, a yamaha jetski, 2 acoustic gtrs, my 1st bass guitar which I learned to play on is a yamaha, first mixing console I owned was a yamaha, I own many yamaha fx units, power amps, speakers, and much more I am sure.
  All has always pleased me for the price....
As a child I had dreamed of becoming an engineer. Now all I want to know is, when do I get to drive the train?

Shawn Coleman

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2014, 10:55:53 PM »

Sorry guys Forum Noob here and I can't find a link to post a new topic ANYWHERE!!!! Does anyone else have a problem recording with the Master Fader App since the new IOS update? Every recording I make regardless of duration is only 8kb. Anyone else have this problem and a remedy???
-Shawn Coleman
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 11:03:42 PM by ibanfly »

Steve Garris

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2014, 04:36:38 PM »

Well they took the user forum down for about a month to "update forum software" and now its back only the software is exactly the same as before. They just flat out lied to us and pulled the only "support" down for the month they held their NAAM trade show and with no concern for those who just bought their product and seek help from other users since they ignore emails and dont return calls if you need product support.

What issues are you having?
Have you tried posting on this unofficial site?
http://cacophony.aspinock.com/index.php?board=26.0

FWIW, I had some minor issues when I first bought mine, and had no trouble getting a person on the like and finding my solution. I use mine 2 to 3 times monthly with no issues at all. I know of at least 6 local bands and one small club install using this board successfully. I've mixed 2 bands just this weekend on their DL1608's. I sold my Mixwiz last summer, and have not missed it a bit, as I can consistently get a better sounding mix with the Mackie. I do not use it to try recording the band, I just want a simple wireless iPad mixer for small clubs.

On the other hand, their new powered speakers just sound horrible to my ears.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2014, 04:43:35 PM »

Sorry guys Forum Noob here and I can't find a link to post a new topic ANYWHERE!!!!
-Shawn Coleman

It's on the page you get when you click on the sub-forum to view all topics in said section.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 04:47:17 PM by dick rees »
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2014, 04:43:35 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 25 queries.