ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chinese lab gruppens lol.  (Read 19908 times)

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
Re: Chinese lab gruppens lol.
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2013, 11:45:52 AM »

Well, we know they are trying to piggy back on the success of others, as Ivan said.
How rare in the music industry....   ::)

I guess one way of putting it is that people who buy these units lose their right to complain about jobs going overseas.
I am a little weary about explaining the quid pro quo about globalization. We gain the benefit of buying cheaper products which we do a lot, and their poor get less poor.

I don't begrudge people improving their standard of living just because they live in a difference country, I do dislike too simple to work remedies like restraining trade, which makes us all poorer.
The world cannot sustain 7 billion people who all think they need 4x2500W in 2U rack space.
Opinions vary about how many people the world will support (from as low as 4B, up to 16B), depending how you define their energy or resource consumption. I find such pronouncements unreliable since they suggest 16B people would waste energy and resources the same as we currently do. We waste less as these resources become more expensive, that's human nature.  The sustainable maximum population will be self correcting, so we don't need help from finger-waggers.... 

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

John Roberts {JR}

• Resotune
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2013, 12:14:41 PM »

I don't even know who it is I appear to be defending here. What does LG say about these? They have surely reviewed these for "borrowed" technology content. If the technology was not formally protected, or if that protection is not adequate, they may be free to use the technology. Patents must be in force in the country(s) where the products are being sold. And even with patents, the copy-cat can hire better lawyers, trust me I know. Even with a patent, at least one of mine got copied (FLS) that I know about.

The bottom line for the marketplace is do these products perform strong enough to justify their modest price. Brand image effects are intangible, but real value exists in support networks for repairs and maintenance.. So these may not be as cheap as they appear, or perhaps the LG cost more than they should?   

JR

PS I am REALLY sympathetic to the support for creators of original novel technology in this thread. LG is a good company that has contributed to the SOTA. It is the nature of markets maturing and evolving for good technology to filter down to the design by copying crowd. LG isn't the first, and won't be the last to suffer that indignity. It isn't right but, right now there is a public debate over IP protection being too restrictive for the greater good. A far too complex topic for simple conclusions here.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2013, 12:42:54 PM »

And the same site has dbx DR 260s for $499 that clearly state "Made in the USA" on the back.

Q: Is it possible that manufacturing product in the USA and sending that product to china lowers the price??

A: No, it's a knockoff made using cheap labor and low quality components.

Q: If "Made in the USA" didn't mean something to the purchaser then why put it on the back of the knockoff.

A: Because it does matter and in general implies a higher level of quality components and manufacturing processes.
http://www.chinesedepartmentstore.com.cn/osc/product_info.php/cPath/496/products_id/8425

BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Frederik Rosenkjær

« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2013, 01:57:48 PM »

How rare in the music industry....   ::)I am a little weary about explaining the quid pro quo about globalization. We gain the benefit of buying cheaper products which we do a lot, and their poor get less poor.

Sorry to be a finger wagger. Big and complex subject, to be sure.

I guess I'm just frustrated to see how much cheap crap is out there. Nowadays when people need to drill 5 holes in concrete it's become completely normal to just buy a cheap hammer drill at $50 and then throw it away afterwards, because it's become practically possible (for a short while, no doubt) to manufacture such a tool and have it shipped all the way over the oceans for less money than the effort to get off one's butt and find a friend who has a real one you can borrow for a bottle of wine.

Likewise, umbrellas at $2 ought to be illegal. Buy a real one, hang on to it, care about it - that's the right way as opposed to the wrong way.

These amps tickle that frustration.

/Frederik - grumpy at 35 years of age.
Affiliations: Danley Sound Labs, Yamaha (MI)

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2013, 02:32:20 PM »

And the same site has dbx DR 260s for $499 that clearly state "Made in the USA" on the back.

Q: Is it possible that manufacturing product in the USA and sending that product to china lowers the price??

A: No, it's a knockoff made using cheap labor and low quality components.

Q: If "Made in the USA" didn't mean something to the purchaser then why put it on the back of the knockoff.

A: Because it does matter and in general implies a higher level of quality components and manufacturing processes.
http://www.chinesedepartmentstore.com.cn/osc/product_info.php/cPath/496/products_id/8425
Bob-here's your QSC 5050
http://www.chinesedepartmentstore.com.cn/osc/product_info.php/cPath/565/products_id/9202

And you won't believe the deals you can get on "Shure" Sm58's  like 10 for $158.00  WOW are we being ripped off buying them here--------------------------------
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

John Roberts {JR}

• Resotune
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2013, 03:15:56 PM »

Sorry to be a finger wagger. Big and complex subject, to be sure.
Complex is almost an understatement, not to mention all the agenda based misinformation that adds noise to the topic.
I guess I'm just frustrated to see how much cheap crap is out there. Nowadays when people need to drill 5 holes in concrete it's become completely normal to just buy a cheap hammer drill at $50 and then throw it away afterwards, because it's become practically possible (for a short while, no doubt) to manufacture such a tool and have it shipped all the way over the oceans for less money than the effort to get off one's butt and find a friend who has a real one you can borrow for a bottle of wine.
Cheap is not necessarily bad...

From my personal experience I have benefitted greatly from cheaper tools. What I have been able to do with a PC and hundreds of dollars worth of software is remarkable. A few decades ago it would have cost millions of dollars to accomplish what I can now do cheaply on my desk top.

This technology driven cost reduction has rippled through the entire economy. I am guilty of considering buying a cheap tool for a one-off job, don't be angry because I am being practical.
Likewise, umbrellas at $2 ought to be illegal. Buy a real one, hang on to it, care about it - that's the right way as opposed to the wrong way.
Wouldn't know never owned an umbrella... I generally don't walk around a lot in the rain, and the few times I've been caught in a downpour while jogging, an umbrella would be more awkward than helpful. (Ever have your ears fill up with rain water? It can really rain in MS.)
These amps tickle that frustration.

/Frederik - grumpy at 35 years of age.
If you're grumpy now, I can only offer that it gets a lot worse, while I am grumpy about different things. Cheaper tools is not one of them, IMO.

JR

Mike Diack

• Auckland, New Zealand.
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2013, 06:53:54 PM »

I can only offer that it gets a lot worse, while I am grumpy about different things. Cheaper tools is not one of them, IMO.

JR
Ahhh, Chinese tools. After years of thinking I was a crap woodworker (given the dictum that a good tradesman never blames his tools) because I couldn't cut a straight cut to save myself on my (Chinese) table saw, I pulled the damn thing apart only to discover that the holes for the blade shaft bearings were decidedly unparallel to the holes for the pivot shaft. Sold it next day (as a firewood saw) and bought a good (Chinese) table saw.

Jack keaton

« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2013, 09:59:02 PM »

Once one of these fails and you have to replace it with another you just defeated its cheapness.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2013, 10:15:05 PM »

The chinese 4050;

"In this offer, you are buying obne unit at once. For more information please google this product. This is a chinese version product destined for the chinese domestic market. You can also use it in your country."
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2013, 10:19:01 PM »

I bought a generator Friday, 5000 watts, $650 at sears. It is a Briggs and Stratton, 3 year guarantee and made in the USA. I think that's a good price for the unit and an even better price than some of the units I looked at that were lesser watts and had chinese engines.

Not everything made in the USA costs more.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2013, 10:19:01 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 23 queries.