ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Should I hire someone to help me with speaker setup or just go with this?  (Read 15945 times)

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: Should I hire someone to help me with speaker setup or just go with this?
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2013, 04:10:10 PM »

Need more? Get more (of the same) cabs...

Nope.  Just getting "more of the same" only works if they're designed to be arrayed.  None of the stuff discussed here works with more than 2/side and even then those two boxes properly splayed will be covering close to 180 degrees.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Jason Lucas

• Hillsboro, OR, USA
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2013, 04:23:59 PM »

Nope.  Just getting "more of the same" only works if they're designed to be arrayed.  None of the stuff discussed here works with more than 2/side and even then those two boxes properly splayed will be covering close to 180 degrees.

Sorry, misunderstanding on my part. Thanks for the clarification.
There are three things I hate: Harsh highs, hollow mids, and woofy bass.

Jason Lucas

• Hillsboro, OR, USA
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2013, 04:46:48 PM »

I don't think that is a conclusion follows. Not to say that anyone shouldn't get 12s or something else, but SRX725s and 718s/728s is pretty tried and true configuration and 725s obv. have 2x15"s. They should focus on things like coverage, SPL, genre, budget, amps / processing, and other factors instead of making a generic conclusion about 2x15s.

I thought 2x15"s were generally used for full range cabs? That's why I figured they were a poor match for 18s but I guess I was mistaken.

I agree that SPL, genre, budget, etc are more important.
There are three things I hate: Harsh highs, hollow mids, and woofy bass.

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2013, 10:03:00 PM »

Dual 15" 2-way is a cheap way to make noise.  The 15's sorta cover part of the sub bass region and sort of cover part of the upper mid range, the horn typically  doesn't cover up very high.  How many "pro" speakers do this vs  4 way?
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2013, 05:00:20 PM »

I am working with another gym similar setup.  Problem was the long reverb and still is. 

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2013, 05:10:04 PM »

I am working with another gym similar setup.  Problem was the long reverb and still is.

What "Room EQ Wizard" generates that screen shot?
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2013, 05:50:57 PM »

We are mounting a EV 2010 with 60 x 40 horn center stage ceiling aimed on center court and rear. 

With EQ wizard showing a reverb in the 300ms time on many of the frequencies it will be difficult to dry up and cut down on the active room this large. 

We also ran some pink noise and monitored with a Behringer ECM8000 mic and True Audio RTA software and found that the back half of the room from the center line between baskets was loosing highs from 3k to 20k.  When the maintenace crew gets the box mounted we should see a big change on some of the clarity. 

Then they also plan to build broad band absorbers from two inch OC703 and mount 4 to 6 absorbers along the back wall to help reduce any slap back echo from the horn.  We tested on stage floor and impressed the maintenance people with how powerful this horn is. 

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2013, 07:45:27 AM »

With EQ wizard showing a reverb in the 300ms time on many of the frequencies it will be difficult to dry up and cut down on the active room this large.
Nice graph, but I'm not sure how useful the information is for assessing the room acoustics.  Reverb in a gym is likely to be more in terms of seconds than milliseconds, the amplitude scale is less than 24dB from the peak level to the lowest level shown and I'd be much more concerned about the decay up in the speech frequencies. 

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2013, 09:09:52 AM »

Correct on that.  It was able to show the maintenance people that there was no decay as in the lower section on vlf like the 80 and 100 area.  Now they understand that we are moving them to a single source on the ceiling for the back of the room with the ability to reach the back.  Have the strong 3k to 15k will help the sound.  The next item is getting the OC703 into absorber pannels onto the rear walls with two large corner traps.   Also the purchase of two good subs with 1000 watt or 2000 watt amp.  The budget is the big problem, They have none.   The front of the gym along the stage is covered with some 12 inch Yamaha speakers and they are mounted on the left and right walls of the stage.  They cover the area in the front of the stage very nicely similar to the plot he has on the green.  They only reach the center line from basket to basket and start to loose the 3k to 15k range in the back that was why we added the medium reach horn center stage on ceiling with down angle to put the bottom 20 degrees of the 40 degree around the center and pointing to the rear. 

They were overheating the amp trying to get speakers to reproduce the 60 to 150 hz range and I told them and adjusted it because the 12's just are not meant to do sub duty in that size room.   

They were trying to use radio shack wireless lapel in the room and it would not work for them.  I found an ebay sale on AT T-27 50mw lapel and R11 receiver for 50 and purchased for them.   This now allows the people to walk around the gym from corner to corner full perimeter and allows us to locate vhf antenna's in the room. 

Bob L. Wilson

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2013, 10:44:19 AM »

What "Room EQ Wizard" generates that screen shot?

http://www.hometheatershack.com/roomeq/ it can't do everything a full seat of Smaart, TEF, etc can do but it does do enough to overwhelm most amateurs and it is free.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2013, 10:44:19 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 24 queries.