ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need help with finding a budget console bought one and didnt realize it sucks!!!  (Read 4873 times)

Jerome Casinger

• Castle Rock DJ and Sound

So I will start by saying, I am a sound guy but have basic knowledge of DMX lighting.

I am adding 8 LED par cans to my rental rig, and bought a cheap chauvet controller.  I have built some scenes and played around with it enough to learn, that you cannot "crossfade" between scenes, unless its in a chase.  I am not happy about this finding, I didnt realize fading from one scene to another is a added option for a lighting board.

I need a solution and pretty fast, I can get by on my next gig, but what is the cheapest board that will run LED's easy, and actually fade between scenes when I hit on and then the next instead of jumping.

Appreciate any help, im having a hard time deciphering what console would do it.  Like I said, 8 LED lights, im not expanding past that, cheap and simple.  Just really want that function so it doesnt look unprofessional going from one scene to another.

Thanks!

Josh Daws

So I will start by saying, I am a sound guy but have basic knowledge of DMX lighting.

I am adding 8 LED par cans to my rental rig, and bought a cheap chauvet controller.  I have built some scenes and played around with it enough to learn, that you cannot "crossfade" between scenes, unless its in a chase.  I am not happy about this finding, I didnt realize fading from one scene to another is a added option for a lighting board.

I need a solution and pretty fast, I can get by on my next gig, but what is the cheapest board that will run LED's easy, and actually fade between scenes when I hit on and then the next instead of jumping.

Appreciate any help, im having a hard time deciphering what console would do it.  Like I said, 8 LED lights, im not expanding past that, cheap and simple.  Just really want that function so it doesnt look unprofessional going from one scene to another.

Thanks!

i know you have the sads on Chauvet console you purchased, but try the chauvet Stage designer 50...sub $300...less than that you haven't got the features you are probably wanting.

if it is yourself that is operating, may i suggest Martin Universal USB Dongle (two universes) for around $500. you can also purchase the ENTTEC DMX USB (single universe only) dongle for around $150-$200. It utilises the Martin MPC Software. it will give you the flexibility to operate ANY fixture, with minimal learning curve. it has great FX and chases.

Just so you are aware my job is a lighting Designer. i work on large concerts and festivals. aside from the GrandMA series of consoles, (and there are many others that people prefer) the Martin M series is a super powerful software/console. The learning curve isn't that bad. i found that the AVOlites, Chamsys, HOG series, to have a bit of a steep curve if you don't have a great understanding of the whole lighting world. i have no issue with these consoles or brands, i have used the chamsys and HOG products and i like them. i am just letting you know that the learning curve is greater.

you can always look into the ADJ/CHAUVET/ELATATION MyDMX (or equivalent), and they are simple, but...and i could be overstating...you might want a greater degree of flexibility.

i should also state that the MP-C software will control all fixture types. probably is overkill. but its a one time purchase :)

Jerome Casinger

• Castle Rock DJ and Sound

i know you have the sads on Chauvet console you purchased, but try the chauvet Stage designer 50...sub $300...less than that you haven't got the features you are probably wanting.

if it is yourself that is operating, may i suggest Martin Universal USB Dongle (two universes) for around $500. you can also purchase the ENTTEC DMX USB (single universe only) dongle for around $150-$200. It utilises the Martin MPC Software. it will give you the flexibility to operate ANY fixture, with minimal learning curve. it has great FX and chases.

Just so you are aware my job is a lighting Designer. i work on large concerts and festivals. aside from the GrandMA series of consoles, (and there are many others that people prefer) the Martin M series is a super powerful software/console. The learning curve isn't that bad. i found that the AVOlites, Chamsys, HOG series, to have a bit of a steep curve if you don't have a great understanding of the whole lighting world. i have no issue with these consoles or brands, i have used the chamsys and HOG products and i like them. i am just letting you know that the learning curve is greater.

you can always look into the ADJ/CHAUVET/ELATATION MyDMX (or equivalent), and they are simple, but...and i could be overstating...you might want a greater degree of flexibility.

i should also state that the MP-C software will control all fixture types. probably is overkill. but its a one time purchase :)

I apprecaite that, I had (And still do have) the Elation Compulive system, but my laptop went out, and I dont feel like purchasing a new one since I am no longer doing any moving heads.  So I am going to sell it.  I record off my behringer X32, so I really dont want to have to buy another laptop since I would need two at that point.

The one thing I really liked about this cheapy is that on the side you hit a scanner button and easily then can program that "light". Made super fast scene setup, I am studying the Stage designer 50 and not seeing any buttons like that, so is it easy to grab a certain light and make adjustments.

Excuse my ignorance, on compulive I would just click the fixture and make changes.  Same thing on this cheapy, withough that feature would I have to go to channel 1-6, and then remember that channel 7-12 is the next light, so on and so forth or is there a jump feature.

Thanks again, is seems that lighting console might be up my alley.

Josh Daws

I apprecaite that, I had (And still do have) the Elation Compulive system, but my laptop went out, and I dont feel like purchasing a new one since I am no longer doing any moving heads.  So I am going to sell it.  I record off my behringer X32, so I really dont want to have to buy another laptop since I would need two at that point.

The one thing I really liked about this cheapy is that on the side you hit a scanner button and easily then can program that "light". Made super fast scene setup, I am studying the Stage designer 50 and not seeing any buttons like that, so is it easy to grab a certain light and make adjustments.

Excuse my ignorance, on compulive I would just click the fixture and make changes.  Same thing on this cheapy, withough that feature would I have to go to channel 1-6, and then remember that channel 7-12 is the next light, so on and so forth or is there a jump feature.

no there is no "fixture button" or palettes to select from. you as the user need to program XYZ channels to do X function. i honestly don't know of any other console that will have the fixture palette and the fade time on it...i can take a brief look around...but i think it may be slim pickings.....

duane massey

Used Showdesigner or Showdesigner 1. On ebay right now, several of them. One just got re-listed after failing to sell for $ 75. I regularly buy them for $100-200 and use them in installs where budget is small and used gear is preferred. Typically only need to be cleaned and updated, if desired.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography

Re you using the lights in 3 channel mode? If so the Behringer lighting console would work really well for you. It has 12 faders in two banks allowing you to cross fade from one bank to the other, There's no simpler way to run a lighting desk than that.

It also has subgroups and chases as well. If you don't expect to grow past 8 fixtures then it should do you well for a long time.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Dave Potter

I have built some scenes and played around with it enough to learn, that you cannot "crossfade" between scenes, unless its in a chase.
There seems to be a requirement for this feature.  Designers please note:- You don't need to be running a big rig to require slick transitions!

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA

The Magic 260 will fade between manually selected scenes.
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Paul G. OBrien

The Magic 260 will fade between manually selected scenes.

As will the Operator 192, and it will also fad between scenes in a bank with auto trigger activated, fade time is not programmable but it can be accessed in real time from the console slider. I just picked up one of these to offer as a basic controller for rentals systems, the main reason I selected this one was because it has USB I/O that can be used to save scenes and chases on a thumb drive or laptop, and that's because past experience has shown that the internal memory is not permanent.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/American-DJ-DMX-Operator-192-Intellisgent-Light-DMX-Lighting-Controller-New-/360575793691?pt=US_Stage_Lighting_Controllers_Dimmers&hash=item53f3fdfa1b

ProSoundWeb Community

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 26 queries.