ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Time to get some new headphones. What's out there?  (Read 16259 times)

Scott Wagner

• Richmond, VA
Re: Time to get some new headphones. What's out there?
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2013, 01:59:45 PM »

Here is the link to Dave's blog with quite a bit of info...

http://www.ratsound.com/cblog/archives/369-The-Mighty-Headphone-Quest-Part-7.html
Keep in mind that DR's criteria did not include price.  He was looking for the best cans for him at any cost.  Once you add a $150 cap, the choices get limited in a hurry.  My Ultrasone HFI-580 cans are great, but out of the OP's price range (around $200).  Standard choices in the OP's price range (besides the ones given already) are Sony 7506 (around $100).  The GK Ultraphones that Dick uses have the 7506 drivers mounted in true isolation muffs (around $230).
Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

Steve Milner

• DcSoundOp Audio Blog
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2013, 02:21:13 PM »

Keep in mind that DR's criteria did not include price.

I think the info is still useful and interesting, regardless of where in the price spectrum we individually feel comfortable committing. On a personal note, Ultrasone will be getting my money in the future... I have been using a few different models of their headphones at work for recording and ENG work, and am absolutely LOVING them. The older 650 model has been everything I have ever wanted in a set of cans... literally.

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2013, 02:42:09 PM »

Bruce,

I was on a similar search a few years ago, and I decided to go with EquationAudio's RP-21 headphones.  After some listening tests using my own iPod and familiar songs, tones, and sweeps, I felt they offered a level of accuracy that I wouldn't find in a similar price range.  They isolate well enough for line checks and occasional critical listening to dial-in settings.

I got mine for $80 from 8th Street Music.  They let me demo them before I bought them…definitely a nice perk to have.  I replaced my "venerable" Sony MDR-7506 cans, and whenever I listen to them now, they are very shrill to my ears.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2013, 03:52:31 PM »

I have been using the Sennheiser HD-280 pro's for about 9 years and really like them. They are not too pricey and offer a good blend of both isolation and sonic performance. They are not a DJ can and are more aimed at studio monitoring while tracking. That said they have a bass response that is not over emphasized ( almost not enough bass ) but the mid and high end detail is good. they are the best cans in the 100-120 price point I have used anyway.

I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2013, 04:01:49 PM »

I have been using the Sennheiser HD-280 pro's for about 9 years and really like them. They are not too pricey and offer a good blend of both isolation and sonic performance. They are not a DJ can and are more aimed at studio monitoring while tracking. That said they have a bass response that is not over emphasized ( almost not enough bass ) but the mid and high end detail is good. they are the best cans in the 100-120 price point I have used anyway.

Again, I must say that I really like my 280's.  Do they offer isolation?  No.  Here's a clarification:

With non-isolation headphones like the 280's, you have to turn them up 10dB above ambient sound to get to a difference in level sufficient for discernment.  My 280's measure out at an average of about 15 dB down from ambient.  So if the ambient sound level at the listening position is 95 dB, I'm running the headphones at 95 minus 15 plus 10 or approximately 90 dB.  If the ambient SPL is 105, you're listening at around 100dB in the cans

With isolation headphones capable of an honest (averaged) 25 dB attenuation, it figures to 95 minus 25 plus 10 for a listening level of 80 dB with house sound at 95 and at 90 with house at 105.

That 10 dB difference in listening level is significant......even more so over time.

I like my hearing.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 04:03:52 PM by dick rees »
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2013, 04:48:39 PM »

And now for something completely different.

I have a pair of Shure 440 headphones that have been just great. I've abused them for about 2 years now and they still look and work like new. Also, every part is replaceable, so if anything does break you don't have to throw them away.

They sound pretty dang good too. Much better than the 7506's they replaced...
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Steve Garris

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2013, 07:28:16 PM »

I love my Sennheiser HD280's!  I've been using them for about 6-7 years now. Just bought 2 new pairs for my kids.

Robert Weston

• Power is cheap, reputation is not.
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2013, 07:46:04 PM »

My best bet in sonic quality for the money would be the Sennheiser 280's for just under $100.

As far as "isolation" and "cheap"......pick one.

+1

Marlow Wilson

• Ottawa/Montreal CAN
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2013, 12:24:08 AM »

As far as "isolation" and "cheap"......pick one.

http://www.amazon.com/Vic-Firth-Stereo-Isolation-Headphones/dp/B0002F519I/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

No direct experience, and a few amazon reviews (a small minority) suggest they break easily.  They are 'cheap' isolation cans however.

Other examples:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/753988-REG/CAD_DH100_DH100_Drummer_Isolation_Headphones.html

http://www.amazon.com/Direct-Sound-EX-25-Each/dp/B0010HHEEM

http://www.amazon.com/Direct-Sound-Extreme-Isolation-Headphones/dp/B0002GZLY2

I still agree DR's general observation and would be inclined to get the Ultraphones if I wanted iso cans.

Mark Gensman

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2013, 02:09:57 AM »

This comes up every time the question gets asked.

While I recommend the 280's for sonic pleasure, they can in no way be considered "isolation phones".  Any headset will offer some "isolation", but that does not classify them as "isolation" units.

The true isolation sets will give 10+db over regular cans.  The Vic Firth models rate at around 25db down from outside sound.  The GK Ultraphones (which I use) rate a bit higher at 27-29db below ambient.

Of course, these measurements are frequency dependent.  Nothing's going to stop the LF when you're mixing seated just behind a stack of subs.......

Dick, I have six HD 280's in my studio and find that the isolation is quite good. They advertise 32db down from outside noise and I believe them. For live mixing, I like the isolation they provide. Not as good as Grado's, but still quite good for the money.

Just my .02.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2013, 02:09:57 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 23 queries.