ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Time to get some new headphones. What's out there?  (Read 16267 times)

Dave Rickard

• SR Forums
Re: Time to get some new headphones. What's out there?
« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2013, 01:51:00 AM »

I also replaced my 7506's with the Shure 840's, though I'm not throwing my 7506's away.  If you have ones with worn-out ear cushions, go ahead and spend the $20 to replace the cushions.  Bad cushions will significantly affect the bass response.
Thanks for the tip. My pads are worn out. 
I'm not throwing them away, just moving them to 2nd chair.
The wrong piece of gear at the right price, is still the wrong piece of gear.

Scott Helmke

« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2013, 09:33:10 AM »

BTW, if you lose or break the 1/4" adapter from your Sony headphones, buy the Shure replacement.  Fits perfectly, is probably more durable, and is definitely cheaper.

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2013, 03:04:29 PM »

BTW, if you lose or break the 1/4" adapter from your Sony headphones, buy the Shure replacement.  Fits perfectly, is probably more durable, and is definitely cheaper.

Many thanks Scott, I just added a few to my wish list. The Sony ones do break, or mysteriously disappear...  Kind of like socks.
Mark McFarlane

Dave Rickard

• SR Forums
« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2013, 03:08:24 PM »

Besides the one on the cable, I keep a spare adapter in the bottom of each headphone pouch.  More than once, I've been happy to have that!
The wrong piece of gear at the right price, is still the wrong piece of gear.

Mario Maric

« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2013, 10:21:40 AM »

Some of you recommended the HD280's. They aren't the greatest sounding cans. The lows are faint, the mids are ok, and the highs are meh. There is no sound stage to speak of. Sound reproduction wise they aren't very good. They are also very uncomfortable after long use.

The good is that their isolation is in fact very good, but that's also because the headband is tight and squeezes the crap out of your head therefore making it uncomfortable.

ATH-M50's would be a better choice if you can find them for a good price. The bass on them seems a little muffled and boomy but it's definitely a nicer sound than the 280's.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2013, 11:34:54 AM »

is tight and squeezes the crap out of your head therefore making it uncomfortable.

What size hat do you wear?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 11:43:18 AM by dick rees »
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Kent Thompson

« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2013, 02:23:42 AM »

For cheap cheap we have several pairs of ath m30s. To me they sounded better than everything else the store had at the time up to the $100 level where the sennies took over. I use to use the hd280s. I now own some denons however, they were very pricy. I think the hd280s are in the sweet spot for me cheap enough but sound good enough.

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2013, 01:30:19 PM »

I use the Direct Sound EX29 Extreme Isolation Headphones, solely for the isolation.
As mentioned elsewhere in the thread, it seems nothing blocks low frequencies enough.

My question is "What is "accurate enough?"...

I've been toying with the idea of ear-canal plugs with isolation cans over.
Ear canal plugs - http://www.plugup.com/the_S_plug_earcanal_stereo_earbuds_p/s%2022-3.5-4.5.htm

Cans (for me) are terribly hot and uncomfortable - I can't wait to get them off either mixing, or shooting.  (wah!  :'()

The plugs are comfortable, and I'd still have decent protection even if I dump the cans.

Thoughts?  Since I already have a pair for riding, I guess I should just try them out...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2013, 01:30:19 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 24 queries.