ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Time to get some new headphones. What's out there?  (Read 16493 times)

kristianjohnsen

• Lillehammer, Norway
    • Lillehammer Lyd og Lys
Re: Time to get some new headphones. What's out there?
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2013, 06:32:36 PM »

Kristian.....

Ever try a set of these?

Should I feel insulted or flattered? :)

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
Re: Re: Time to get some new headphones. What's out there?
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2013, 07:21:19 PM »

Should I feel insulted or flattered? :)

Depends

If you can only afford two movers as spots on a show, are they pointed at foh instead of the stage?
Jay Barracato

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Re: Time to get some new headphones. What's out there?
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2013, 07:36:56 PM »

Depends

If you can only afford two movers as spots on a show, are they pointed at foh instead of the stage?

Trick question!

Everyone knows they should be pointed at the monitor guy!
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
Time to get some new headphones. What's out there?
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2013, 07:39:49 PM »

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the new Heil cans.  Void has a set and apparently is really enjoying them.

http://www.heilsound.com/pro/microphone-accessories/pro-set-3

I have pair and while I like the sound, I don't like the cords. They come with 3 sets ( if I remember right ) but none seemed to drape right.

My go to cans are the HD280s.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2013, 03:07:11 AM »

I also replaced my 7506's with the Shure 840's, though I'm not throwing my 7506's away.  If you have ones with worn-out ear cushions, go ahead and spend the $20 to replace the cushions.  Bad cushions will significantly affect the bass response.

Not to mention that you'll end up with black flaky crap all over your head and shirt.  Sony really needs a better formulation for the ear pads, they are junk and deteriorate rather quickly. I have about 6 pairs and it gets expensive to replace them every other year.  I went with some aftermarket velour pads last year (Pearlstone http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/645787-REG/Pearstone_9081860_Deluxe_Earpads_Pair.html), we'll see how they hold up.
Mark McFarlane

Merlijn van Veen

• www.merlijnvanveen.nl
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2013, 04:44:13 AM »

+1 Ultrasone & Denon

George Friedman-Jimenez

• NYC
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2013, 12:18:59 PM »

You need pretty small ears for the Ultrasone HFI680s to fit and sound as designed, and provide some isolation. I gave mine to my daughter to use for tracking, her ears are smaller than mine.

Mark Long

• Dayton, OH
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2013, 01:51:08 PM »

Not to mention that you'll end up with black flaky crap all over your head and shirt.  Sony really needs a better formulation for the ear pads, they are junk and deteriorate rather quickly. I have about 6 pairs and it gets expensive to replace them every other year.  I went with some aftermarket velour pads last year (Pearlstone http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/645787-REG/Pearstone_9081860_Deluxe_Earpads_Pair.html), we'll see how they hold up.
It will be interesting to see how those hold up. I have the Beyer replacement pads on my 7506 and they are so much nicer than the stock ones for all the reasons noted.

Steve Milner

• DcSoundOp Audio Blog
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2013, 08:00:44 PM »

It's wasn't just Sony... My old two pairs of Audio Technica ATH-M40fs cans both crapped the bed in similar fashion. Sticky clingy black fragments everywhere just like Sony... Disappointing.

The up side is that they seem to have it sorted out with the newer M50's which have much thicker leather type material on the pads. I've had mine since they came out and they've held up really well.

Cleaning out a storage closet the other day, I found a pair of 7506 replacement pads (NOS) in the original box. Excited, since we have a pair that need them, I pulled them out of the box only to find them in bits. Deteriorated and went to pieces, in the original package...never been touched... DOH!!

Dave Dermont

• Forum Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • From The Great Pocono Northeast
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2013, 11:59:14 PM »

Note: This is NOT a "What's the best kick drum mic?" topic.

I need to replace my ancient beat up headphones. I figure ~$125-$150 should be able to net me something decent. The 2 factors I am looking for besides budget are isolation and accurate reproduction, not necessarily in that order. I definitely DO NOT want some hyped-up low end dj-esque cans that tell you nothing.

I am also looking for a decent "budget" pair (~$50) with the same qualities, with isolation a key factor.

What's out there?

I find that my HD280 Sennheisers offer adequate isolation and acceptable audio quality.

For a budget $50-ish set of 'phones, I'd go with whatever model Audio-Technica ATH model falls into that category.

Dave Dermont

Warning: Dates on calendar may be closer than they appear

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2013, 11:59:14 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 24 queries.