ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Would you buy an LS9?  (Read 18480 times)

Jason Lucas

• Hillsboro, OR, USA
Re: Would you buy an LS9?
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2013, 12:29:08 PM »

I think one reason, besides all the great information, that we all love forums is all the great and varying opinions that get expressed.

I didn't really want this to turn into a "mine is better than yours" discussion, but I can't say I am surprised.  ;D

On forums I learned quickly that you need to have a little thick skin.  Sometimes, especially with gear, a certain product may fit a specific need perfectly, but when looked at from a general view, and compared overall on features and the total cost to utilize all of its features it may not be the best choice.

Specifically looking at this.  If you already have a copper snake that fits your needs, multi-track recording and virtual sound check are not vital to your situations, then maybe the LS9 makes good sense.  It does have some great features, no one is denying that.

My original question was based on a contemporary church setting and when you compare apples to apples and street price to street price.  Really the LS9 doesn't compare that well, if you want digital I/O and virtual sound check.  In fact I think the new Roland M200i is really going to become an LS9 killer,  I'm guessing street price on that with a REAC box will be less than $4500

Unfortunately M200i also can't do virtual sound check, not without purchasing the $5000 R-1000 recording unit.
There are three things I hate: Harsh highs, hollow mids, and woofy bass.

Jacob Robinson

« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2013, 12:46:05 PM »

Unfortunately M200i also can't do virtual sound check, not without purchasing the $5000 R-1000 recording unit.

Good point and thanks for clarifying that fact.  And I guess you can do it with the LS9 with expansion cards, albeit pricy and cumbersome.

That is one MAJOR feature of the Presonus StudioLive boards.  Their virtual soundcheck and multi-track recording is SUPER easy and integrated well.

Jason Lucas

• Hillsboro, OR, USA
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2013, 12:49:52 PM »

Good point and thanks for clarifying that fact.  And I guess you can do it with the LS9 with expansion cards, albeit pricy and cumbersome.

That is one MAJOR feature of the Presonus StudioLive boards.  Their virtual soundcheck and multi-track recording is SUPER easy and integrated well.

Speaking of the Presonus, has anyone looked at the new 32 channel one? It looks killer!

Jacob Robinson

« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2013, 01:06:08 PM »

Speaking of the Presonus, has anyone looked at the new 32 channel one? It looks killer!

I agree.  I have used a 24ch extensively and the mute groups and extra DSP on the new 32ch would be awesome!  Now if they would figure out how to put moving faders on it and still keep price reasonable it would be a "game-changer" for budget Digital desks.  I also like how Presonus integrates their software so well with it also.

Jason Lucas

• Hillsboro, OR, USA
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2013, 01:08:31 PM »

I agree.  I have used a 24ch extensively and the mute groups and extra DSP on the new 32ch would be awesome!  Now if they would figure out how to put moving faders on it and still keep price reasonable it would be a "game-changer" for budget Digital desks.  I also like how Presonus integrates their software so well with it also.

Honestly with the lack of layers I don't think flying faders are necessary. Convenient? Absolutely. But not necessary, IMO. Besides, it helps keep cost down.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 01:13:23 PM by Jason Lucas »

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2013, 04:31:16 PM »

My only issue with the Pre-Sonus and it's lack of motorized faders is when you switch scenes. You have to watch a little light blink till your back in line with the saved setting. Can you imagine sitting there to adjust 32 faders back to the saved setting!!!!!
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Jason Lucas

• Hillsboro, OR, USA
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2013, 05:07:30 PM »

My only issue with the Pre-Sonus and it's lack of motorized faders is when you switch scenes. You have to watch a little light blink till your back in line with the saved setting. Can you imagine sitting there to adjust 32 faders back to the saved setting!!!!!

I use scenes for storing routing, send levels, EQ/dynamics and head amp settings, where the faders are really doesn't matter because I'm just going to move them to where they need to be anyway, and I use a mixer that actually has motorized faders.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2013, 06:37:23 PM »

No it doesn't!

Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Jason Lucas

• Hillsboro, OR, USA
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2013, 08:37:13 PM »

Heh, looking at the LS9 more closely now it appears that Roland was very "inspired" by it. From a distance the LS9 and M300 look almost like the same board.

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
Would you buy an LS9?
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2013, 09:04:14 PM »

No it doesn't!

Lol! Agreed. Not sure how they could haw dropped the ball any more.

ProSoundWeb Community

Would you buy an LS9?
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2013, 09:04:14 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 25 queries.