ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Would you buy an LS9?  (Read 18489 times)

Jason Lucas

• Hillsboro, OR, USA
Re: Would you buy an LS9?
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2013, 09:07:12 PM »

Lol! Agreed. Not sure how they could haw dropped the ball any more.

Alright, color me curious. What do you guys dislike about the Presonus so much?

I've never mixed on one, so I only know what I've seen and read about them.
There are three things I hate: Harsh highs, hollow mids, and woofy bass.

Taylor Phillips

« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2013, 10:26:14 PM »

Heh, looking at the LS9 more closely now it appears that Roland was very "inspired" by it. From a distance the LS9 and M300 look almost like the same board.
Yeah, I thought the same thing when I saw one of the Roland boards for the first time.  Seemed like about the only difference was that the EQ knobs were to the left of the screen instead of the right.

As for buying one, I think the LS9 is overpriced compared to its current competition, but if you could get an LS9-32 for the price of 2 X32's, I think it might be good buy because of the known quality of the Yamaha and the unknown quality of the Behringer.  Not sure if it would be the best option for a church though, because it's really not very intuitive and user friendly to those who are unfamiliar with it.  I mixed on one for a church college and singles ministry for a couple years in Atlanta, and despite the fact that I knew how to EQ a channel on an analog board and why and how to use a compressor, it was some time before I figured out how to do either on their LS9.  After learning the board, my dislike for the board eventually turned to affection though,  since using all the features was pretty quick and effective once learned.

And random question that the M300 comparison made me think of: Why do most digital boards it seems, have their knobs to the left of their screens?  I learned digital mixing on an LS9 and an Innovason SY80, both of which have their knobs to the right of their screens.  I played around with an X32 at Guitar Center and found the knobs to left to be awkward to try and operate, because I either had to use my much less precise left hand, or block the screen with my right arm and contort myself to see the changes on the screen. 

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2013, 12:24:24 AM »

It's just limited. 10 auxes which are on a fixed busing structure and no motorized faders, which to some is a pain, others not so much. There are enough blinking lights on the thing to make someone go epileptic. Most all of the outputs are 1/4" and are non assignable, so it's for auxes, sub-groups and mains only ( hence the fixed busing structure ). No matrix's, which there is really no need with the recording capability? The new 32 channel version has a few more auxes ( 14 ) and some other features that are not really usable yet ( active integration ). The good thing is the price seems to have dropped on it a little. You can get the older 24.4.2 for under 2.5k now on the average website. I believe it used to be closer to 3k?

I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2013, 08:43:35 AM »

It's just limited. 10 auxes which are on a fixed busing structure and no motorized faders, which to some is a pain, others not so much. There are enough blinking lights on the thing to make someone go epileptic. Most all of the outputs are 1/4" and are non assignable, so it's for auxes, sub-groups and mains only ( hence the fixed busing structure ). No matrix's, which there is really no need with the recording capability? The new 32 channel version has a few more auxes ( 14 ) and some other features that are not really usable yet ( active integration ). The good thing is the price seems to have dropped on it a little. You can get the older 24.4.2 for under 2.5k now on the average website. I believe it used to be closer to 3k?

I think a lot of the comparisons between this mixer and that mixer really suffer from the assumption that the application is the same.  I like to divide the applications into two streams:  mixing music and running a "show".  If you're needing to simply mix some live music, there's no reason why a MixWizard won't suffice.  If you need to be an active part of the "event production", recalling instantly different settings and/or scenes, then you need a board with a lot of control function capability.  Finding fault with a particular piece of gear because it doesn't provide the needed functionality is as much of a reflection on the type of work to be done as it is the gear itself.

So your comment of "it's just limited" is relative to your needs.  I have many jobs where  the feature set of something like a StudioLive 24 fill the bill just fine.  The advantage it has over a MixWizard really lies in the ability to bring minimum outboard gear to the job.

As to the "flashing lights" comment, I assume you're referring to the "meter bridge" function of the flat channel and the highly visible metering LED's.  I find such visibility to be nicer than not being able to see the meters when you need to.

As to pricing, you take what you can get.  Certainly the advent of the X32 has shaken up the market a good bit, but I have purchased the StudioLive 24's NEW for less than $2600 prior to the release of the Behringer desk.  You just have to shop.

Buying something because it has more bells and whistles or for bragging rights makes little sense.  If a console has the features which allow you to do your job, you can stop right there and not have to go overboard.  There will always be a wide range of requirements and applications for gear.  Find something that works for your particular niche and get it.
There is not "one size fits all"........

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
Would you buy an LS9?
« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2013, 09:51:40 AM »

I suppose I found it disappointing because I expected Presonus to come out with something similarly groundbreaking as the original StudioLive. This was based on nothing but my own thoughts. This desk is a just a bit of an upgrade. So for people whom the 24 keeps very happy I understand why they might perfectly well like the new one, but I I can't join in. If they had released something a little bit more feature for feature with the X32, but built a simpler interface (like they've got some experience doing) I think that would have been a more competitive product. Who knows, though.

Brook Hovland

• DiA Events
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2013, 10:15:18 AM »

I guess I will jump in the middle of this pile with my 2 cents.
I am in the rental business and when a lower end console is required for A/V or band, the LS9 is requested and accepted more than any other console under $1500.00.
LS9s make money.

Just speaking for the small backwards market here...  oops gotta go boil some water, Ma wants a bath.

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
Re: Re: Would you buy an LS9?
« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2013, 10:44:29 AM »

I guess I will jump in the middle of this pile with my 2 cents.
I am in the rental business and when a lower end console is required for A/V or band, the LS9 is requested and accepted more than any other console under $1500.00.
LS9s make money.

Good point, the needs of a rental house vs a HoW install are often different.  We have a client that can't wait to dump their LS9 for a GLD, for their app (HoW) it just makes much more sense. 

Dick made a good point about essentially pushing faders compared to running a complex multi-scene show.  On the install side, the former has been pretty much overtaken by DSP, the latter by the better digital consoles.

For our market, the LS9, Presonus, baby Roland, DL1608, etc just aren't compelling options.  Thick skin is a must, I earned title of Presonus basher so far. :)
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Frank DeWitt

• LBP DI Box
« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2013, 11:28:35 AM »

My biggest problem with the  Presonus is scenes.  As I understand it, when a scene is changed the board goes silent for a short time.  Is this still true.  Of coarse after a scene change, you need to manually reset the faders before using them.

I am writing this from a church use perspective.  I use scenes a lot.  One for every part of the service. I don't use them like a play where you go in order.  I punch a button as I need it.  Example.  Pastor turns and faces the congregation as a song ends.  I think he is going to say something. Press the button labeled Pastor. The Worship Team is muted and his mic is up.  He finishes speaking and I press WT and they are right back where I left them.  (The settings for the WT change slightly between practice and the service so I will save there scene again near the end of the song.  BTW that button also saves all there IEM personal mixer settings.  There is another scene for the solo (saved at practice, another for the podium, Videos, ETC

For me, instant recall of scenes is the biggest advantage of a digital board.
Not to Code

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
Would you buy an LS9?
« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2013, 12:22:59 PM »

All these other companies are releasing board after board and somewhere far away the LS9 factory keeps going! I have to admit its impressive. As always... I wonder what they'll replace it with! A "CLS9" with Dante snake? Could be a killer product.

Jacob Robinson

« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2013, 01:08:52 PM »

My biggest problem with the  Presonus is scenes.  As I understand it, when a scene is changed the board goes silent for a short time.  Is this still true. 

If you change scenes from the computer or ipad app (the best way to do it anyhow) it does not go silent, however if recalling scenes from the board itself it does blink the audio for a split second. 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2013, 01:08:52 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 25 queries.