ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Would you buy an LS9?  (Read 18476 times)

chris harwood

Re: Would you buy an LS9?
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2013, 11:00:26 PM »

10 channels on keys...sheeshh...
I'll never have a pair of dynamics on a speaker cab, condenser for good looks and a couple of stereo sends on an AxeFX II or even a mortal XT-live with separate outputs on the FX in the S/R loop...  naw...not in church....
Strum an acoustic....  ha!

Dang...my "professionals" that came in to help in the other thread, kept having intermittent issues on just my simple stereo send on one side... so it would jerk yer head around to that side every time it cut in and out... Forget the stereo delay based effects...

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2013, 01:57:27 AM »

If I'm not mistaken the GLD goes for about 9k desk only. Then the primary stage box is 2.3K and it's 1.2k for each additional stage box ( 8 channel ) with two needed for full expansion. That adds up to around 13.5K for a fully expanded GLD. This does not include a case for the mixer, a series of CAT5 runs and a rack for the stage boxes. Probably another 1k or more? So close to 14.5K for a fully expanded GLD with racks and cases? You can find M7's for around 10k used and about 18k with the xlr's built in new. The M7 ES version can be had new for around 14K. Of course the stage boxes are extra. So yes several thousand cheaper new for new, but the GLD is 2/3rds more than an LS9. Remember I paid under 8k for mine ( new ) and after a case and router I was only in 8.5k for the thing. That is still cheaper than just the surface of the GLD. The GLD is the only other desk that really comes close in that market. The M7-32 channel desk is priced nearly as high as the 48 channel version and doesn't have the same functionality as the LS9. The 32 channel version works just like the 48 channel and there are no layers, so no expansion on input channels beyond the stereo inputs ( 8 channels which are line level inputs only ). The LS9 is of course expandable to 64 channels.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
Would you buy an LS9?
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2013, 03:31:39 AM »

You are talking all MSRP prices for the GLD, but real world for the M7. Pro dealers are offering the surface and primary stagebox for way less. Don't quite me here, but I seem to remember Chuck Levin's quoting me $8.5k for the desk and primary stagebox. Sounds like you could slide in around $11k with all the stageboxes, the brand name snake, and a case to me.

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2013, 07:21:47 AM »

If I'm not mistaken the GLD goes for about 9k desk only. Then the primary stage box is 2.3K and it's 1.2k for each additional stage box ( 8 channel ) with two needed for full expansion. That adds up to around 13.5K for a fully expanded GLD. This does not include a case for the mixer, a series of CAT5 runs and a rack for the stage boxes. Probably another 1k or more? So close to 14.5K for a fully expanded GLD with racks and cases? You can find M7's for around 10k used and about 18k with the xlr's built in new. The M7 ES version can be had new for around 14K. Of course the stage boxes are extra. So yes several thousand cheaper new for new, but the GLD is 2/3rds more than an LS9. Remember I paid under 8k for mine ( new ) and after a case and router I was only in 8.5k for the thing. That is still cheaper than just the surface of the GLD. The GLD is the only other desk that really comes close in that market. The M7-32 channel desk is priced nearly as high as the 48 channel version and doesn't have the same functionality as the LS9. The 32 channel version works just like the 48 channel and there are no layers, so no expansion on input channels beyond the stereo inputs ( 8 channels which are line level inputs only ). The LS9 is of course expandable to 64 channels.
You are mistaken. 

A fully-expanded GLD with snake should be under $11K NEW from a good dealer.  If you see an M7-48 that's not trashed for sale for $10K, you should buy it - that's a heck of a deal.  I've seen $13,500 with no case, $14,500 with case, and once again, these are USED prices.  New they're definitely more.

With the (inexplicable) price increase of the LS9, it's close to parity to a GLD, and while you can do 64 channels, that requires thousands of dollars more expansion cards, IO boxes, and goofing around to kludge it together.  I agree that using 32 inputs on two layers for mains and monitors can be cool, but in my fairly extensive experience using M7's, the only reason I'd want to do that is because you can't tap post-EQ but pre-dynamics for the auxes; something that the GLD does do.

I'm glad you're happy with your LS9.  I was interested in a used one last year before I bought my GLD, but the seller wanted too much for it, and since I'm mostly a portable guy, the digital snake was no small thing.  The M7 was never a consideration for me due to the size of the surface and the case required.  I could never manage it myself, and it would have filled half my van.  That being said, I enjoy using it at my church where I don't have to move it.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 07:23:59 AM by TJ (Tom) Cornish »

Luke Geis

« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2013, 03:20:38 PM »

To be honest I haven't really dug in deep on pricing out a GLD. I look at the prices found on EBAY and some discount vendors, I only quoted the prices I have seen. But I was also able to get a much better price on my LS9 than could be found in most of the online places too, so there you have it. I didn't notice a price increase on the LS9 recently, but then again I haven't been looking? I do know that there are several people trying to get about the same price used as I did new for their desks, but that is only from happenstance internet surfing.

Each and every desk out there in the mid range market has it's caveats. None do it all basically. I choose the LS9 because I could have a one guy running monitors independently of another guy running FOH via the SM on a laptop. Two birds one stone, more or less. I imagine that the GLD can do that too, but at the time ( I was desk shopping ) there wasn't a management software yet for it. I had been shopping for a desk for several months and couldn't wait to see how the GLD would pan out.

I really really wanted the remote stage box setup to!!!! This was the biggest reason I was considering the GLD, but at the time the pricing  ( that I saw ) was a bit out of my range. The other side of the coin was that the LS9 was an easier sell to my clients. It's easy to sell something that everyone already knows. My next set up is going to be a SAC style system for the high end wedding and corporate events I do. Around where I live they never want to see the sound guy and his stuff, so they usually stuff you in some odd corner with no line of site to the event area. With a SAC style system I can pretty much be amongst the people and run the show. I'm kicking around getting the A&H IDR stage box, but now that Behringer is releasing the X-32 core, I may go that route? I have not had any issues running the LS9 fully off of the computer and having a system that literally can disappear would be cool. The LS9 still really gives a lot of bang for the buck.

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2013, 03:48:10 PM »

Remember I paid under 8k for mine ( new ) and after a case and router I was only in 8.5k for the thing. That is still cheaper than just the surface of the GLD.
The LS9 is of course expandable to 64 channels.

To be honest I haven't really dug in deep on pricing out a GLD.

Not much point in making comparisons if you have only dug into pricing on one of the desks! :)

LS9 does have 64 inputs to mix and some rider friendliness, but you've written off some clear GLD advantages. Digital snake included! I know you mentioned it, but you have to include at LEAST a 1000+ difference between a single STP snake and an analog multicore and case, which you still need to purchase with an LS9 even if you get some stage boxes. If you get those, you give up expansion slots, which also only have 16i/o and the GLD has 64 I think? GLD has 8 FX processors, dedicated GEQs, and built in Aviom which LS9 would need a card for (but you might not have space for). Its a bit more expensive than the LS9 but the price is well paid for in features. Obviously those features might not make sense for you personally, but its hardly an unaccounted for step up in price.

Luke Geis

« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2013, 12:49:25 AM »

I dug into the pricing of the GLD 8-9 months ago when all you could see was MSRP pricing, I.E. the 8.9k price seen in most places. I bought the Ls9 about 2 weeks before the GLD actually shipped out to stores. Pricing has obviously changed for the GLD, but most vendors list it at 8.9k. I didn't factor the snake part because it's not a requirement to use the LS9. I can still stick my desk back stage and run a show if desired ( which I have done ) and use stage breaks. The GLD requires a stage box to even use it beyond the 4 channels on the surface. Which to me is weird that it just doesn't sell with the stage box as standard? However I see your point with the snakes assuming that you were to start from scratch. That would in fact even the pricing up a little.

I would say it is cool that the GLD can have all the features of the LS9 all at once, but it still costs more. The GLD does have 30 mix buses and 20 mix outputs which is pretty cool, but the average company probably won't touch all of them. I do prefer the busing structure of the GLD and find it more usable than the LS9. But again, it still costs more. And it's the more that it offers that I don't need, or want as you mentioned. The desks are pretty well priced for what they offer, but my guess is that most people don't need all the features either of the desk offer. If they have needs beyond what the LS9 can provide, then the GLD is the only other choice.

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
Would you buy an LS9?
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2013, 10:20:50 AM »

Fair enough, but 'sweetwater listing price' on big items is nearly a useless # because pro dealers will usually quote you much less without even a haggle.

Jacob Robinson

« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2013, 11:12:21 AM »

I think one reason, besides all the great information, that we all love forums is all the great and varying opinions that get expressed.

I didn't really want this to turn into a "mine is better than yours" discussion, but I can't say I am surprised.  ;D

On forums I learned quickly that you need to have a little thick skin.  Sometimes, especially with gear, a certain product may fit a specific need perfectly, but when looked at from a general view, and compared overall on features and the total cost to utilize all of its features it may not be the best choice.

Specifically looking at this.  If you already have a copper snake that fits your needs, multi-track recording and virtual sound check are not vital to your situations, then maybe the LS9 makes good sense.  It does have some great features, no one is denying that.

My original question was based on a contemporary church setting and when you compare apples to apples and street price to street price.  Really the LS9 doesn't compare that well, if you want digital I/O and virtual sound check.  In fact I think the new Roland M200i is really going to become an LS9 killer,  I'm guessing street price on that with a REAC box will be less than $4500

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
Would you buy an LS9?
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2013, 12:04:13 PM »

I can't ever rag on the LS9 too hard, I got my feet wet on it and the know how I got working on it has served me well!

ProSoundWeb Community

Would you buy an LS9?
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2013, 12:04:13 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 24 queries.