ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Would you buy an LS9?  (Read 18505 times)

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
Re: Would you buy an LS9?
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2013, 12:05:14 AM »

2 X32s.  For half that.  Which is exactly what I did given the same choice.

I'm a MAJOR Yamaha fanboy and absolutely swear by their reliability and longevity.  But in the cash strapped church world I find myself in now, the LS9 just didn't make sense.

When the LS9 came out, it defined the market point.  Now it's had quite a few consoles join the party, and they're all quite a bit prettier than the first girl at the dance.

X32's don't have enough faders on top. Granted they do have DCA's Which I like. The biggest problem with the X32 is that it still says Behringer on it. Which may be OK for Church, but good luck trying to pass it off to visiting engineers.

I also don't care for the way the X32 does it's mix sends. A double tap on the LS9 brings up SOF for any mix available. It's much quicker than paging to the right bank and dialing a knob, or going to right master for SOF. Having the mix sends in 2 different places is a bit confusing. Not a deal breaker, I know, but it's still worth mentioning.

The LS9 is a proven workhorse. The X32 still has a long way to go to prove itself as a reliable performer. At it's price point I really don't see those faders surviving a bunch of rodeo gigs.....
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2013, 12:16:32 AM »

X32's don't have enough faders on top. Granted they do have DCA's Which I like. The biggest problem with the X32 is that it still says Behringer on it. Which may be OK for Church, but good luck trying to pass it off to visiting engineers.

I also don't care for the way the X32 does it's mix sends. A double tap on the LS9 brings up SOF for any mix available. It's much quicker than paging to the right bank and dialing a knob, or going to right master for SOF. Having the mix sends in 2 different places is a bit confusing. Not a deal breaker, I know, but it's still worth mentioning.

The LS9 is a proven workhorse. The X32 still has a long way to go to prove itself as a reliable performer. At it's price point I really don't see those faders surviving a bunch of rodeo gigs.....

All totally valid points.  In fact, I'm still a big fan of the M7 precisely because it DOESN'T have any layers.  Last of the breed I suspect.

I have to be honest though, I think the LS9 is actually my least favorite yamaha desk, and I've worked on every PM analog desk since the 1500 series and every digital desk they've ever made.  I can't put a finger on exactly why I don't like it, but I don't. 

...if i could only justify putting in that PM1d......
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Brian Larson

Would you buy an LS9?
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2013, 02:14:29 AM »

For a church? No, an LS9 wouldn't make sense. For a rental business? Yeah, it's about the only board in its market segment that's reliable and rentable.

Josh Daws

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2013, 12:30:24 PM »

All totally valid points.  In fact, I'm still a big fan of the M7 precisely because it DOESN'T have any layers.  Last of the breed I suspect.

I have to be honest though, I think the LS9 is actually my least favorite yamaha desk, and I've worked on every PM analog desk since the 1500 series and every digital desk they've ever made.  I can't put a finger on exactly why I don't like it, but I don't. 

...if i could only justify putting in that PM1d......

i just got 2 Yamaha CL5 consoles...its the M7 Platform, and it sound AMAZING!!!!!! way better than the M7 and LS9. and not much more than a M7...around 30Keach + the snake boxes....

Jacob Robinson

Would you buy an LS9?
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2013, 08:45:31 PM »

Well my thoughts were pretty much reinforced here.  I don't think anyone can deny the reliability of an LS9 and it had a great niche in it's day but for the most part it has seen its better days, Yamaha may even admit that.

It seems that if a church is looking for a mid range digital mixer to buy today that the GLD80 may be really hard to beat.  On the other hand if a church has $15k to spend and is really serious about spending the money they could probably stretch the budget a bit and get into a CL1 with digital snake for around $18k. (Just guessing here I don't really know the street prices for the CL series)

One thing I do know for sure is that once you have a console with with virtual soundcheck capabilities you will NEVER look back, to me that is a big selling point with mixers like the CL series that come ready for virtual soundcheck.

-Jake

jason misterka

Re: Re: Would you buy an LS9?
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2013, 09:53:47 PM »

i just got 2 Yamaha CL5 consoles...its the M7 Platform, and it sound AMAZING!!!!!! way better than the M7 and LS9. and not much more than a M7...around 30Keach + the snake boxes....

No disrespect to the CL5 but how in the world is it anywhere near the price of an M7CL-48?

New, the M7s are under $20K with 48x16.  Actually if you count stereos it is 56x16.

The CL5 is at $30k plus some of the most expensive stage boxes you can find.  That's at least another $8k or 9k to get 48 channels.

Anyway, not trying to do a topic swerve here.  But please, apples to apples. 

Jason
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 09:55:22 PM by jason misterka »

Josh Daws

Re: Re: Would you buy an LS9?
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2013, 10:32:13 PM »

No disrespect to the CL5 but how in the world is it anywhere near the price of an M7CL-48?

mate i don't ask questions i just buy...lol...it was all in all with 2 snake boxes just a little over 36k....Maybe yamaha finally figured out how to not overprice something...per console
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 10:48:50 PM by Josh Daws »

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2013, 06:08:57 PM »

I bought an LS9 just last year knowing that the desk series is probably on it's way out the door. It does have the best all around value I think. The GLD which had just released when I got the LS9 was still more expensive and did not have the features the LS9 has. The LS9 is still one of the only desks that can split channel for channel to use as monitor & FOH and have independent control for each minus HA settings. All the other desks in or around it's price point don't seem to have what the LS9 has. I don't think the LS9 sounds bad at all, although it may be the worst sounding of the digital desks? It sounds better than many desks I have used and it does it very easily.

The Soundcraft Si series was not in for me, due to it's lack of industry respect and overall features. The GLD was out due to a high price for 48 channel ability at roughly the cost of an M7 for 48 channel count. The next thing in my market was the Presonus SL and it didn't have what I wanted either.  Pound for pound the LS9 is the best value that can be had for it's 7.5k price tag. I don't find 36k to be affordable for a digital desk when some of the better ones out there are going for 10k less, or more ( ala SC-48 at around 23k retail with 48 channels ).

The X32 is yet to prove it'self and all the brands are offering downsized versions now of the BIG desks they recently offered. Allen & Heath just released a smaller version of the GLD which sells at 9k just for the surface. It has 20 faders and is about the size of a 16 channel mixer. Roland has a couple mixers as well that are also in the small format size for around 8k. Presonus just released the 32 channel SL with supposedly more CPU power and it is still no contender against the LS9. The LS9 is holding value well with people still offloading them for 6k in good condition. I got mine brand new for 7.8k a year ago. Not the lowest price, but I buy retail to keep things easy with taxes. I don't think you can find another digital desk at that price that will beat the LS9.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2013, 09:47:59 PM »

I bought an LS9 just last year knowing that the desk series is probably on it's way out the door. It does have the best all around value I think. The GLD which had just released when I got the LS9 was still more expensive and did not have the features the LS9 has. The LS9 is still one of the only desks that can split channel for channel to use as monitor & FOH and have independent control for each minus HA settings. All the other desks in or around it's price point don't seem to have what the LS9 has. I don't think the LS9 sounds bad at all, although it may be the worst sounding of the digital desks? It sounds better than many desks I have used and it does it very easily.

The Soundcraft Si series was not in for me, due to it's lack of industry respect and overall features. The GLD was out due to a high price for 48 channel ability at roughly the cost of an M7 for 48 channel count. The next thing in my market was the Presonus SL and it didn't have what I wanted either.  Pound for pound the LS9 is the best value that can be had for it's 7.5k price tag. I don't find 36k to be affordable for a digital desk when some of the better ones out there are going for 10k less, or more ( ala SC-48 at around 23k retail with 48 channels ).

The X32 is yet to prove it'self and all the brands are offering downsized versions now of the BIG desks they recently offered. Allen & Heath just released a smaller version of the GLD which sells at 9k just for the surface. It has 20 faders and is about the size of a 16 channel mixer. Roland has a couple mixers as well that are also in the small format size for around 8k. Presonus just released the 32 channel SL with supposedly more CPU power and it is still no contender against the LS9. The LS9 is holding value well with people still offloading them for 6k in good condition. I got mine brand new for 7.8k a year ago. Not the lowest price, but I buy retail to keep things easy with taxes. I don't think you can find another digital desk at that price that will beat the LS9.
Even a fully-expanded GLD is several thousand dollars cheaper than a USED M7. Not sure what prices you've gotten on the GLD

I  suppose the feature of the LS9 you're referring to is 64 channels so you can have two layers of 32 channels.  Indeed the GLD can't do this, however the GLD allows aux sends to be tapped post EQ but pre-dynamics, and as such has never bothered me for using the same channel for both FOH and monitors.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2013, 09:54:10 PM »

Even a fully-expanded GLD is several thousand dollars cheaper than a USED M7. Not sure what prices you've gotten on the GLD

I  suppose the feature of the LS9 you're referring to is 64 channels so you can have two layers of 32 channels.  Indeed the GLD can't do this, however the GLD allows aux sends to be tapped post EQ but pre-dynamics, and as such has never bothered me for using the same channel for both FOH and monitors.

Well, there's still the old trick of sub-mixing things.  I've had keyboardists using 2 or 3 keys, playback tracks and click track all sub-mixed on the stage and sent to me on 2 channels.  10 channels down to two.

I've also sub-mixed drum kits.  8-10 mics down to two channels.  That saves a lot of investment right there. 
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2013, 09:54:10 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 24 queries.