ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Would you buy an LS9?  (Read 18490 times)

Jacob Robinson

Would you buy an LS9?
« on: February 04, 2013, 07:58:26 PM »

It is pretty much a hypothetical question, but I'll ask anyways. 

Would you buy an LS9 today given the new competition that has came out since the LS9 was introduced?

It seems that the LS9 has stood the test of time and has been a great budget friendly option for a digital console.  But when you take a look at today's offerings from Midas, Allen-Heath, Roland and even Soundcraft, that the LS9 has seen its better days.

Scenario:
A contemporary, full band church needs a new console (32ch minimum), a budget of $16k but less is always better.

It seems that when looking at this it would be hard to beat the GLD80 from A&H, and even after that the offerings from Roland and Midas offer much more features and processing for the money than an LS9 especially when you factor the expensive digital snake options from Yamaha.

Please feel free to respond with how you choose and why.

-Jake
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 08:02:49 PM by Jacob Robinson »

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: Would you buy an LS9?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 08:01:12 PM »

I is pretty much a hypothetical question, but I'll ask anyways. 

Would you buy an LS9 today given the new competition that has came out since the LS9 was introduced?

It seems that the LS9 has stood the test of time and has been a great budget friendly option for a digital console.  But when you take a look at today's offerings from Midas, Allen-Heath, Roland and even Soundcraft, that the LS9 has seen its better days.

Scenario:
A contemporary, full band church needs a new console (32ch minimum), a budget of $16k but less is always better.

It seems that when looking at this it would be hard to beat the GLD80 from A&H, and even after that the offerings from Roland and Midas offer much more features and processing for the money than an LS9 especially when you factor the expensive digital snake options from Yamaha.

-Jake

Would I take one if it was given to me?  Only to sell it......

Arguably the least good sounding digital mixer out there.

Given all the other stuff available at that price or less, why would you consider one?  They're pretty much dead in the water as far as I can see.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 08:03:49 PM »

I is pretty much a hypothetical question, but I'll ask anyways. 

Scenario:

-Jake
i bought a GLD last year and haven't looked back. The digital snake is great and the new personal monitor mixer is cool too. The upcoming software update fixes the only two (IMO) major deficiencies of the console - the IPad app and better scene management.

chris harwood

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 08:16:44 PM »

Not having enough experience to answer my own question... is the X32 totally out of the LS9 league...even if you bought 5 of them  ;-D

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 08:42:52 PM »

Not having enough experience to answer my own question... is the X32 totally out of the LS9 league...even if you bought 5 of them  ;-D

OP said 32 channels minimum.  That would imply expandable.

I've looked at most of the offerings available but am waiting to see what the next couple of years bring.  As of now, the one that looks best to me is the GLD system from Allen & Heath.  I have seen TJ's in action and it is impressive.  The BE who was on it the day I stopped in gave it a big thumbs up.  Given that it borrows from the larger iLive, the feature set is what I would call primo.

Will do 48 inputs, has a nice sized touch screen which puts it way ahead in my book and is extremely intuitive and easy to run without sacrificing functionality.

Definitely worth looking at whether you decide on it or not.  Helps put all the other offerings in a nice perspective for features vs. cost vs. ease of use.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Teddy Murphy

Would you buy an LS9?
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 08:46:33 PM »

I was given the choice for my Company and decided to buy an SI Performer and a digital stage box.  Gives me 64 channels and sounds phenomenal.  I know this isn't for touring bands, but I recently had a touring engineer request it at FOH over our M7.  And talked about how great it sounded.

Jeff Carter

• Kitchener, ON, Canada
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2013, 10:03:42 PM »

i bought a GLD last year and haven't looked back. The digital snake is great and the new personal monitor mixer is cool too. The upcoming software update fixes the only two (IMO) major deficiencies of the console - the IPad app and better scene management.
My church bought a GLD in September. We've been quite happy with it so far--none of us are doing much (if any) scene switching during services so the scene management hasn't been an issue for us. It's quite a step up from analog world, that's for sure.

What I gripe about more than the iPad app and scene management is the lack of an off-line editor. This is not something that will be fixed in the upcoming software update as far as I've seen.

The personal mixing system looks pretty sweet, very nicely integrated with the console.
Mothers, don't let your babies grow up to be physics PhDs

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2013, 10:18:00 PM »

It is pretty much a hypothetical question, but I'll ask anyways. 

Scenario:

-Jake

Absolutely. The LS9 still does everything that current mixers do. And it is bulletproof, unlike the rash of Si desks have been.

There are not many desks out there that will mix 64 channels as easily as the LS9 does. In fact, many CAN'T run 64 channels at all.

The LS9 has 33 faders and 4 stereo knobs right there on the surface. What else under 10 grand has this?

I use an LS9 every weekend. The desk stays by the stage and runs monitors on channels 33-64. The Guitar tech tends to the monitor mixes. I run FOH on channels 1-31 via a laptop running Studio manager. We do 6 stereo IEM's plus Left, Right, Sub, and Front Fills out of this desk. I use multiband compression, 3 FX units, and 4 Graphics. The desk has never skipped a beat while doing any of this and the two engineers never get in each others' way while mixing.

Tell me, what would you buy that can do all of that for less than 10k?
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

chris harwood

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2013, 11:46:32 PM »

Absolutely. The LS9 still does everything that current mixers do. And it is bulletproof, unlike the rash of Si desks have been.

There are not many desks out there that will mix 64 channels as easily as the LS9 does. In fact, many CAN'T run 64 channels at all.

The LS9 has 33 faders and 4 stereo knobs right there on the surface. What else under 10 grand has this?

I use an LS9 every weekend. The desk stays by the stage and runs monitors on channels 33-64. The Guitar tech tends to the monitor mixes. I run FOH on channels 1-31 via a laptop running Studio manager. We do 6 stereo IEM's plus Left, Right, Sub, and Front Fills out of this desk. I use multiband compression, 3 FX units, and 4 Graphics. The desk has never skipped a beat while doing any of this and the two engineers never get in each others' way while mixing.

You can slap me for my answer, because I don't know with these two mixers...but would two X32 for < $7K come close with a 3rd for a spare to match the 10K?

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2013, 11:55:03 PM »

2 X32s.  For half that.  Which is exactly what I did given the same choice.

I'm a MAJOR Yamaha fanboy and absolutely swear by their reliability and longevity.  But in the cash strapped church world I find myself in now, the LS9 just didn't make sense.

When the LS9 came out, it defined the market point.  Now it's had quite a few consoles join the party, and they're all quite a bit prettier than the first girl at the dance.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2013, 11:55:03 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 22 queries.