ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Microphone stand recommendations  (Read 28505 times)

Greg_Cameron

• Cameron Pro Audio
Re: Microphone stand recommendations
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2013, 12:39:39 PM »

The Beyer pieces were made by KM IIRC (or not ;-).

The AKG stands were also K&M. I don't get any thing else but K&M for boom stands. Not to swerve to far OT, but I'm a bit surprised after all these years that stand manufacturers haven't worked on producing/designing stands that are less resonant. On louder stages, it seems that most mic stands actually contribute to ringing and feedback since they transmit stage energy or just ring all by themselves. Seems like a good potential market to tap as well. There must be a better way!
"Procrastinators of the world - contemplate uniting!"

Cameron Pro Audio

Scott Wagner

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2013, 12:40:47 PM »

I have had good success with the Ultimate MC40B microphone stand. I had 12 of them go through an Iowa farmland basement  flood two years ago and have not had any problem with them at all. And I absolutely love the design. I use them at nearly full extension with SDC mics on them and have had no trouble in over 6 or more years. They get used approximately 3 times a year for three days at a time. They are about $40 each.
It's difficult to give a recommendation on quality with only 54 show days over 6 years.  I easily do 2-3x that in one year.  Stick to the K&M/Atlas (especially since everyone but one have recommended them).
Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2013, 12:47:32 PM »

The AKG stands were also K&M. I don't get any thing else but K&M for boom stands. Not to swerve to far OT, but I'm a bit surprised after all these years that stand manufacturers haven't worked on producing/designing stands that are less resonant. On louder stages, it seems that most mic stands actually contribute to ringing and feedback since they transmit stage energy or just ring all by themselves. Seems like a good potential market to tap as well. There must be a better way!

Well, I believe that's what shock mounts are for...... ;D

Seriously, I still have an original AKG mic stand I first bought for use back in the early 1970's.  It's been used, abused, thrown around and battered for 40 years.  I'll replace the washers in the boom clutch and tighten up the hex nuts on the three legs and it'll be ready for another season.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Brian Larson

Microphone stand recommendations
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2013, 02:47:22 PM »

I'm not advocating pulling knobs off of new stands, just the ones that are already broken sitting in a pile in the back of the store. They're going to toss them anyway, why shouldn't I grab parts off of them?

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2013, 02:49:23 PM »

I'm not advocating pulling knobs off of new stands, just the ones that are already broken sitting in a pile in the back of the store. They're going to toss them anyway, why shouldn't I grab parts off of them?

Because you didn't ask permission???  Pardon me if you did.....

Around here you have to ask permission to dumpster dive.  Otherwise, you're busted.

Edit:

A set of taps will let you use parts from your local hardware store if you don't want to order parts from Full Compass.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 02:53:00 PM by dick rees »
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Steve Milner

• DcSoundOp Audio Blog
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2013, 03:07:23 PM »

Plus the replacement parts are "free" (take your pick from the pile of cannibalized floor models at GC. I've gotten a lot of backup tightening knobs this way.)

I don't see at all how your above post was suggesting anything other then stealing parts from their Floor Model stock. I've never known a music store to keep floor models in a dumpster, out back in the parking lot or anywhere else that would would suggest that they are available too you free of charge.

The reason that Guitar Center & other stores have "cannibalized" floor models, is because of people like YOU who come in and STEAL parts. Just because you weren't the first guy, doesn't mean it's cool.

Tim Perry

• Utica-Rome NY
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2013, 06:39:38 PM »

>quietly raises hand: 

I wish to bring you your attention http://www.herculesstands.com/mics/micstands.html

I bought one for kick and have been thrilled with its durability and functionality.

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2013, 12:00:42 AM »

I haven't found a boom I've really been happy with, but then again I haven't tried K&M. As for the round base stands, Atlas is definitely the best I've found. And if you must use a dreaded gooseneck, get Atlas. That's the only brand of gooseneck I've found that doesn't sound like a goose.

One of my chief complaints with the folding and boom stands that I have tried is that the thumbscrews scratch the paint. Seems like it wouldn't be THAT hard for the manufacturers to put a hard plastic insert into tip of the thumbscrew (but that might cost an extra $0.02). The second complaint is that the threaded stud (that screws into the mic clip) comes loose from the tube it's attached to, making it difficult to securely attach and subsequently detach the mic clip. Look for a stand with a threaded tube, rather than an insert.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 12:04:16 AM by Jonathan Johnson »
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Brandon Wright

« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2013, 12:12:19 AM »

The second complaint is that the threaded stud (that screws into the mic clip) comes loose from the tube it's attached to, making it difficult to securely attach and subsequently detach the mic clip. Look for a stand with a threaded tube, rather than an insert.

When the K&M's do fail, this is how they do it. Although, it seems to take several hard years of use for this to happen. Not too hard to fix, though. I just drill a hole through the tube and insert and drive in a roll pin.

Steven Leonard

• Sands Productions
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2013, 10:27:16 PM »

What are some recommendations for boom microphone stands? We have gone through many cheap ones with our church plant and I am tired of them breaking. I guess you can call it a lesson learned the hard way.

I've been looking at something like the K&M 210/9. Am I headed in the right direction? Is there anything else I need to be looking at?

Thanks!

Atlas round base stands and Atlas or K&M booms. I really like the ones with the counterweights (Atlas PB11xe & PB21xe). Yes these are heavy, but durable and perfect for long extended applications (Over guitar pedals and Overhead mics).

The stands are not cheap but will last for years. Whenever I need parts Atlas is always great about getting them to me ASAP and for cheap.

Use what the pros use. ATLAS round base all the way!!!! Please no tripods! Tacky!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2013, 10:27:16 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 25 queries.