ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Microphone stand recommendations  (Read 28503 times)

Kirby Yarbrough

• SR Forums
  • Reston, Virginia
Re: Microphone stand recommendations
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2013, 09:59:12 PM »

Atlas round base stands
MS20E for tall stands, DMS10E or DMS7E for shorter stands with K&M booms

Geoff Doane

• Halifax, NS
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2013, 08:25:50 AM »

Ah, mic stands.  A topic near and dear to my heart.  ;D

The first time I saw K+M booms up close, I knew I wanted to own them, rather than the Atlas booms I'd used up to that point.

The 210/9 is a good choice for general use.  I find the legs to be longer than necessary in most situations, so I've shortened most of mine by 3 inches.  You can buy the 201/2 stand that already has short legs, but it isn't available as a combo with the 211/1 boom.  The only application that I've run across that really needs the long legs and non-telescopic booms is drum overheads (and even then, it doesn't absolutely need it), so a pair of 210/2 combos might be a good addition to the kit.

For short stands, the 259 is the obvious choice.  The 259/1 is a bit lower, and has fewer moving parts, making it appropriate for kick drums, but not much else.

The 199 seems like a good idea (one stand that can do it all), but it didn't work out well for me.  The ones I've used are the older style with the collet-style clutch, rather than the thumbscrews.  I found that as I tightened one section, the other one loosened, and the whole thing would spin with the slightest provocation.  The very thin top section also seemed to sway more easily in use. 

And I'll second the usefulness of some short, round base with 211/1 booms, especially around the drum kit.  Atlas did get that part right.  They just don't travel well.  :(

GTD

Scott Wagner

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2013, 09:51:18 AM »

I see it everyday - people buy OnStage or Ultimate mic stands.  At half the price they seem to be a good deal.  The reality is that you'll be lucky to get a year of use out of these before they destroy themselves (who's bright idea was it to put steel screws into aluminum threads?).  The K&M booms (and Altas round bases) will last for ten years or more (and parts are available if they don't).  I have some over 20 years old still in service.  So, at twice the price they last ten+ times longer.  Just on the financial front, this is a no-brainer.  Buy the K&Ms (and Atlas roundies).  You'll save money in the not-very-long run.  Not only are these the "right" product, they are the cheapest, too.
Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

Brian Larson

Microphone stand recommendations
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2013, 10:43:58 AM »

Everyone will hate me for this but...

I've had really good luck with the DRPro stands they sell at GC. Something like $40 or less if you wait for a sale. I bought ten of them like three years ago and I haven't had a failure yet using them almost every weekend.

The K&M stands I've used have been nice but I really don't like the sliding clutch that tightens the boom. The DRs have a nicer (IMO) fixed clutch that feels better in a sweaty hand. Does K&M offer a different type?

Plus the replacement parts are "free" (take your pick from the pile of cannibalized floor models at GC. I've gotten a lot of backup tightening knobs this way.)

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2013, 10:48:51 AM »

Everyone will hate me for this but...

I've had really good luck with the DRPro stands they sell at GC. Something like $40 or less if you wait for a sale. I bought ten of them like three years ago and I haven't had a failure yet using them almost every weekend.

The K&M stands I've used have been nice but I really don't like the sliding clutch that tightens the boom. The DRs have a nicer (IMO) fixed clutch that feels better in a sweaty hand. Does K&M offer a different type?

Plus the replacement parts are "free" (take your pick from the pile of cannibalized floor models at GC. I've gotten a lot of backup tightening knobs this way.)
Are you advocating stealing from GC as a viable way to keep your gear running?

Roland Clarke

« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2013, 10:50:19 AM »

What Tim said.  I don't recall _ever_ seeing anything other than KM booms in a pro system, except for Beyer for some period of time. 

The Beyer pieces were made by KM IIRC (or not ;-).

Here is yet another example of "buy once, cry once".

Yet another vote for K&M.  I've used ones that have taken a beating for 30 years and still just about work.  Other makes can be all over the place within a year.

As mentioned above, decent cases and a workbox with a few spares will keep you happy for years.

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2013, 01:30:48 PM »

I can't say how these will hold up, but I really like the boom design of the Lazer (Taiwan) mic stands http://www.chosen-fat.com/product_detail.asp?nowpage=2&cat=22&cat2=44&pid=237

Look at Area C in the blow up to see the mechanism.

I bought 8 of them in 3 different heights 'in a hurry' for a gig last year.  My only choice was between these or cheap $20 stands, I paid $50 in Bahrain, which is Island prices, so they'd probably sell for $25-30 in the USA if they were available there.. 

The 'unique' design feature is the the boom arm can be pushed down into the top tube so you have a straight mic stand.  Very easy to adjust, very clean looking on stage, but musicians always need some help because they've never seen anything like it.

I don't think these stands are roadworthy but I give them an A for conceptual design. My usage is fairly light duty, ask me in 10 years f they are all still working, I've only used them on half a dozen gigs this past year. 

Maybe someone else makes a similar design?
Mark McFarlane

Steve Milner

• DcSoundOp Audio Blog
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2013, 02:02:47 PM »

I never worked at a big box music store, but when I worked at a mom & pop shop back in high school... people that did this shit were the WORST!! The amount of assholes who would come in and steal knobs, faders off of gear, screws and bolts off of hardware... just blew me away.

I honestly had more respect for the kids that would occasionally come in, ask to demo an efx pedal and then leg it out the door once your back was turned... at least there was some entertainment in chasing them down the street and dragging them back to the store while they pleaded with us not to call their parents.  :D
Most of those kids learned a valuable lesson when they tried that trick, the owner always game them a second chance, and never called the cops or parents unless they did it again... a few of them even ended up working at the shop and becoming great employees.

We always called the cops on the ADULTS that stole form us... even the knobs and fader caps. I don't shop at guitar center if I can avoid it, and don't support their big box model on the whole... but stealing from them ain't cool man. If you need parts... order them.

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2013, 08:23:52 PM »

Just like the others, it's K&M 210/9 all the way for full-size stands.  I too have thrown away money on "bargains", some of which have barely lasted the first week, and most of which gave way before too long.

It's with short stands that there is more worthy competition.  In the UK, one of the local webstore ownbrands Pulse do a great short stand that appears to hold up well at a bargain price.

Also, even better than round based stands, I always loved the Samson MB1 - the benefits of a round cast base, matched with the benefits of a tripod design.  Fantastic and compact for micing up kick & backline - can fit in anywhere.  The design flaw appears to be where the stand screws in the (decently heavy) base - both of ours have broken there, presumably as the metal is too thin.  Shame, otherwise I'd buy more of these like a shot.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 07:00:18 PM by Alec Spence »

David Kaiser

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2013, 06:34:06 AM »

I have had good success with the Ultimate MC40B microphone stand. I had 12 of them go through an Iowa farmland basement  flood two years ago and have not had any problem with them at all. And I absolutely love the design. I use them at nearly full extension with SDC mics on them and have had no trouble in over 6 or more years. They get used approximately 3 times a year for three days at a time. They are about $40 each.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2013, 06:34:06 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 25 queries.