ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Microphone stand recommendations  (Read 28489 times)

Curtis McGill

Microphone stand recommendations
« on: February 04, 2013, 06:36:52 PM »

What are some recommendations for boom microphone stands? We have gone through many cheap ones with our church plant and I am tired of them breaking. I guess you can call it a lesson learned the hard way.

I've been looking at something like the K&M 210/9. Am I headed in the right direction? Is there anything else I need to be looking at?

Thanks!

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: Microphone stand recommendations
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 06:43:07 PM »

What are some recommendations for boom microphone stands?

I've been looking at something like the K&M 210/9. Am I headed in the right direction?

Thanks!

Yes, you're headed in the right direction.  I would also recommend that you get or build a decent mic stand case to keep them spiffy.  Sections of the lighter duty PVC pipe built into a plywood box with casters on the bottom will let you handle them without throwing them all together in a bag.  They'll stay good looking longer, won't catch on each other and bend the clutch levers or screw adjusters.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Frederik Rosenkjær

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 06:50:12 PM »

In my experience there's K&M mic stands and then there's absolute crap. I have heard tales about a few other makers of mic stands that are ok, but I have yet to see them for myself. I know of nothing in between. No spectrum between K&M and shite.

And I'm not a dealer of any kind of stands.
Affiliations: Danley Sound Labs, Yamaha (MI)

David Parker

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 07:06:58 PM »

What are some recommendations for boom microphone stands? We have gone through many cheap ones with our church plant and I am tired of them breaking. I guess you can call it a lesson learned the hard way.

I've been looking at something like the K&M 210/9. Am I headed in the right direction? Is there anything else I need to be looking at?

Thanks!
http://s926.photobucket.com/albums/ad106/brodave2/mic%20stand%20case/
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 07:08:35 PM by David Parker »

David Parker

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 07:10:20 PM »

Yes, you're headed in the right direction.  I would also recommend that you get or build a decent mic stand case to keep them spiffy.  Sections of the lighter duty PVC pipe built into a plywood box with casters on the bottom will let you handle them without throwing them all together in a bag.  They'll stay good looking longer, won't catch on each other and bend the clutch levers or screw adjusters.
http://www.audiopile.net/products/Cases/M_Series_Mic_Cases/MC-770/MC-770_cutsheet.shtml

Steve Milner

• DcSoundOp Audio Blog
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 07:17:13 PM »

The 210/9 is a great stand... I know a guy who also has a number of stands with the same boom (two section telescoping) on the model 199 tripod base, which is also telescoping. These make for great in-between stands (they still go to full height obviously) when a full size is too big, but the super low stands are too short. They fold down really small too for transport... which is pretty groovy.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 07:19:41 PM by Steve Milner »

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2013, 07:47:56 PM »

Atlas round base stands; K-M booms and tripod base stands.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Peter A Viehoever

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2013, 08:37:38 PM »

Thanks!

They seem lovely and durable though sometimes a round base is handy if stage space is an issue.

This gun case, though it draws odd looks sometimes, will hold 4 collapsed K&M 210 stands in padded comfort:

http://www.sportco.com/store/pc/Doskosport-Double-Scoped-Rifle-Shotgun-Case-790p43766.htm

depending on your storage and hauling needs.

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2013, 09:05:28 PM »

Atlas round base stands; K-M booms and tripod base stands.

What Tim said.  I don't recall _ever_ seeing anything other than KM booms in a pro system, except for Beyer for some period of time. 

The Beyer pieces were made by KM IIRC (or not ;-).

Here is yet another example of "buy once, cry once".   

Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2013, 09:05:28 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 25 queries.