ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Microphone stand recommendations  (Read 28491 times)

George Friedman-Jimenez

• NYC
Re: Microphone stand recommendations
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2013, 01:06:51 AM »

...K&M make two levels of stands - one with a square holder of the boom, and one with that part round.  The square version is about on par with the On Stage stuff.

Their "standard" stands (round boom holder) are worth every penny.
Would you mind sharing the model numbers of the stands you are referring to? There are a lot more than 2 different levels of stands, and the booms models are separate from the floor stand models.

John Halliburton

• Still has hair and white pointy beard...
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2013, 09:13:21 AM »

I have a couple of beyers that I got back in the early 80s. Just used them tonight...

I believe the Beyers, K&M, and AKG all come out of the same factory in Germany.  I have some that are almost as old, but as with anything in this biz, how often things get used affects lifespan.

As others have mentioned, there are two ranges of quality in the K&M line, and I was only referring to their premium stands with the die cast metal tripod base thingy that the legs bolt onto.

Best regards,

John

Scott Wagner

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2013, 09:27:26 AM »

Would you mind sharing the model numbers of the stands you are referring to? There are a lot more than 2 different levels of stands, and the booms models are separate from the floor stand models.
The K&M 210/9 and 259 are my go to tripod booms.
Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

Kent Thompson

« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2013, 04:43:14 PM »

I believe the Beyers, K&M, and AKG all come out of the same factory in Germany.  I have some that are almost as old, but as with anything in this biz, how often things get used affects lifespan.

As others have mentioned, there are two ranges of quality in the K&M line, and I was only referring to their premium stands with the die cast metal tripod base thingy that the legs bolt onto.

Best regards,

John
True. Mine obviously don't get as much use as some people's do.

I mentioned it as way of saying buying good stands can last significantly longer than the cheap ones.
One other difference I can extend a boom on mine to full length and it will not tip while these cheap onstage ones take a nose dive almost every time.

Pete Bansen

« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2013, 11:44:04 AM »

There is no debate, after these two, all else is crap of varying degrees.

John

That's true.  The exception that I've found to the "Atlas round base and K&M tripods and booms are the only ones worth owning" rule are Tama, which are hard to find in black, but well worth the effort, in my experience.

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2013, 11:19:29 PM »

I don't have quick access to my stands...
But judging visually only from the K&M website, booms alone:
the 211 and 211/1 seem to be the original design -
the 211/2 and 211/3 look like the second-tier type of boom - specs say they're lighter, and use a wing nut vs a T-bar locking screw.

The baseline stand 199 matches my "lesser stands" - I assume it is their entry level stand - the leg connection cone is plastic - the better ones are of metal (cast zinc?)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2013, 11:19:29 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 24 queries.