ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Combo Amp DI Connection  (Read 5806 times)

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
Combo Amp DI Connection
« on: February 13, 2013, 05:21:20 PM »

I hate to write a topic about this because it's probably very simple but...

My band's guitar player uses a Boss GT-6 multi-effects pedal that he plugs into a Crate 120 watt either 2-10 or 2-12 combo amp. We've mic'd the cabinet with a SM57 which works fairly well but we have some gain before feedback issues(mic against the cloth of the cabinet with the amp at roughly ear level). He doesn't run the amp very loud(which is good for stage volume) because it's primary purpose is for him to hear himself. I've tried putting the GT-6 in cabinet simulation mode and running a DI inline between it and the amp; I like this and think it sound great. The guitar player doesn't like it as he thinks it doesn't sound like the amp(although I've A-B'd them and can't tell much difference). I'm thinking of using the ext. speaker output of the amp to feed the DI; to do this I'll have to create a short cable(something to attach to the speaker > 1/4in) to go from the combo's speakers to the DIs passthrough output. I know from previous attempts that plugging something into the ext. speaker output disconnects the internal speakers hence my need of a jumper cable.

Will this work and produce the desired "sound"? The amp doesn't have any kind of line level output BTW(now that I think about it there may be an effects loop... I'll have to look). I'm mainly trying to get the sound created from his adjusting of the amps tone controls into the system without having to use the mic.

Thanks,
Tommy

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: Combo Amp DI Connection
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 05:38:43 PM »

I hate to write a topic about this because it's probably very simple but...

My band's guitar player uses a Boss GT-6 multi-effects pedal that he plugs into a Crate 120 watt either 2-10 or 2-12 combo amp. We've mic'd the cabinet with a SM57 which works fairly well but we have some gain before feedback issues(mic against the cloth of the cabinet with the amp at roughly ear level). He doesn't run the amp very loud(which is good for stage volume) because it's primary purpose is for him to hear himself. I've tried putting the GT-6 in cabinet simulation mode and running a DI inline between it and the amp; I like this and think it sound great. The guitar player doesn't like it as he thinks it doesn't sound like the amp(although I've A-B'd them and can't tell much difference). I'm thinking of using the ext. speaker output of the amp to feed the DI; to do this I'll have to create a short cable(something to attach to the speaker > 1/4in) to go from the combo's speakers to the DIs passthrough output. I know from previous attempts that plugging something into the ext. speaker output disconnects the internal speakers hence my need of a jumper cable.

Will this work and produce the desired "sound"? The amp doesn't have any kind of line level output BTW(now that I think about it there may be an effects loop... I'll have to look). I'm mainly trying to get the sound created from his adjusting of the amps tone controls into the system without having to use the mic.

Thanks,
Tommy

You'll need to use a DI which accepts speaker level signals.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
Re: Re: Combo Amp DI Connection
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 07:31:35 PM »

You'll need to use a DI which accepts speaker level signals.

Ok, the ones I've got will do that; they have an adjustable pad made for the purpose.

Thanks,
Tommy

Sent from my Milestone X using Tapatalk 2

David Parker

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 07:43:27 PM »

Ok, the ones I've got will do that; they have an adjustable pad made for the purpose.

Thanks,
Tommy

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-HUG-RBCLASSIC-LIST

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 07:58:25 PM »

Looks like a nice one; I'll probably eventually get one with a cabinet simulator like that. These are the one's I've got: http://amzn.to/YshvVH (don't laugh). They've worked better than I expected them too. I've got 2 singles and 2 duals; one of the duals is over a year old and still working with no issues(although I'll admit that we don't use our gear near as much as many of the people on here). I've use some other cheap DIs($30 range) and these aren't the same build quality, but to me, with our equipment, they sound fine. If/when one breaks I do intend to replace it with a better one and I've got enough to always have a spare(or two).

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 08:32:02 PM »

Another question related to this post, the amp in question has an insert jack on it. Will this tap the signal after all adjustments made with the amps tone controls? I realize that this may vary amp to amp but what is the standard practice? It's a Crate 120 watt combo of amp.

David Parker

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 10:19:44 PM »

Another question related to this post, the amp in question has an insert jack on it. Will this tap the signal after all adjustments made with the amps tone controls? I realize that this may vary amp to amp but what is the standard practice? It's a Crate 120 watt combo of amp.

typically an insert is right after the gain. I have no idea about that model.

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 11:16:15 PM »

this or a Radial JDX will give you a speaker-emulated signal vs. just a straight DI, which the guitar player won't like.

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 11:28:24 PM »

typically an insert is right after the gain. I have no idea about that model.

Well I managed to answer my own question, on that amp the insert is after all of the tone controls. I'm hoping that he likes the sound running from the insert because it's simpler than trying to tap the speaker output. The amp isn't a tube amp so I doubt that the "power" stage adds much to the sound. I may have to get a cabinet simulation DI though; I'll have to see what he thinks tomorrow. The only thing I noticed was that with the amp volume low I had to apply a lot of preamp gain(3 o'clock on knob) on the mixer to get the level up where it's usable. It sounded clean though so I doubt it'll be a problem.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 11:28:24 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 25 queries.