ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: JBL SRX712m vs. RCF NX12SMA  (Read 14133 times)

Kevin Cunningham

Re: JBL SRX712m vs. RCF NX12SMA
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2013, 06:55:25 PM »

I feel the equal to the TT line is more like the JBL VP line. However for the money I think the NX12SMA is a good bet. I went with the powered box setup as well. I use TT boxes for FOH. Great sound, good value, and dependability for me.

Kc
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 08:51:04 PM by Kevin Cunningham »

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2013, 07:42:07 PM »

I demo'd the NX12SMA and I though they where overly processed.

For the same amount of money, take a peak at the dB Tech DVX DM12.  I would have went with the SRX712m, but JBL stopped building them and at the same time I am moving to a full Powered system.

We have 4 DM15 demo units.  I don't know what they compare to in the RCF line but they didn't come close to the VRX915, SRX712M, EV xW15 or VUE A-15, all with XTi power.  Only the xW15 was bi-amped in our tests.

{product plug warning}  The VUE box was the most neutral, un-hyped sounding box of the lot.  One of my monitor guys was concerned they wouldn't "cut".  I thought they sounded very, very good and they responded to EQ in a way that sounded very natural.  I owe Jim and Kenny a review, watch for that in the appropriate forum. {/product plug warning}

In fairness to the DM15, the other speakers were more $$ when you add in the cost of amplification... in ascending order, SRX, VRX/XW, and A-15 with only a few hundred $ separating the top 3.

Not knowing what needs the OP's gigs present, I can't say which speaker will be best for him... but if he can find some of the dozens of SRX712M that are still said to be in the wild, it's a good box.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Eric Christian

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2013, 10:33:33 AM »

Thanks for all the recommendations everyone!  A pair of JBLs are on the way! 

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2013, 03:14:04 PM »

{product plug warning}  The VUE box was the most neutral, un-hyped sounding box of the lot.  One of my monitor guys was concerned they wouldn't "cut".  I thought they sounded very, very good and they responded to EQ in a way that sounded very natural.  I owe Jim and Kenny a review, watch for that in the appropriate forum. {/product plug warning}

I have a _lot_ of listening time with the VUE A series and I was very pleasantly surprised when I put both A-15 and A-12 in monitor position.  I didn't have any EQ other than channel strip on an APB monitor desk, and all I did was the "usual stuff", meaning sweep the PEQ to between 3-4 KHz, pull out a bit, and rock.  Test mic was a Heil PR-22A.  I could get it ear compressing loud by barking into it, then aim the mic directly at the loudspeaker from a couple feet away, with no feedback.

The 15 is a big box, but it has the LF response to go with it.  I would have zero anxiety dropping these around a concert stage, none whatsoever. 

These A series boxes are truly something one can build a smart inventory around.  They all have pole mounts, they're passive, and they sound fine.

Disclaimer: I chiefed the VUE demo run throughout the US back in the fall.  I do not work for VUE Audiotechnik.   

Sorry for the thread hijack :-)
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2013, 03:28:31 PM »

I have a _lot_ of listening time with the VUE A series and I was very pleasantly surprised when I put both A-15 and A-12 in monitor position.  I didn't have any EQ other than channel strip on an APB monitor desk, and all I did was the "usual stuff", meaning sweep the PEQ to between 3-4 KHz, pull out a bit, and rock.  Test mic was a Heil PR-22A.  I could get it ear compressing loud by barking into it, then aim the mic directly at the loudspeaker from a couple feet away, with no feedback.

The 15 is a big box, but it has the LF response to go with it.  I would have zero anxiety dropping these around a concert stage, none whatsoever. 

These A series boxes are truly something one can build a smart inventory around.  They all have pole mounts, they're passive, and they sound fine.

Disclaimer: I chiefed the VUE demo run throughout the US back in the fall.  I do not work for VUE Audiotechnik.   

Sorry for the thread hijack :-)

doug,
Not a lot has been said about Vue, but what has been said is being said by all the cool kids. Can you give us some history please. who are these folks?
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2013, 03:31:05 PM »

doug,
Not a lot has been said about Vue, but what has been said is being said by all the cool kids. Can you give us some history please. who are these folks?

Bob....

I think they're from another kountry.......
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2013, 05:13:49 PM »

doug,

The story is on their web site.  Cliff Note version:

Ken Berger (EAW founder, LOUD executive after that), Jim Sides (Meyer Sound, NEXO, Apogee founder) have partnered up with Speaker Electronics in Germany.  Speaker Electronics owns a huge ISO certified manufacturing facility near Shanghai.  The factory is run by Germans, with German engineering staff, etc, and these folks speak Mandarin.  I would really like to hear that ;-)

IOW, it is _not_ contract manufacturing.  The factory has all the appointments: robotics, etc.

Anyway, VUE engineering: Michael Adams (Sound Image, QSC Wideline, others) and Mark Engebretson (QSC and lot of others, for many decades) are in charge of product design.

So, VUE products are engineered here and in Germany, assembled in Speaker Electronic's factory in China (including many transducers), and shipped here for distribution.

I'm aware of one custom order that was placed, completed, and shipped, arriving in San Diego in about two weeks.  That's pretty good.

The fit and finish is outstanding.  The passive crossovers sound fantastic.

I have not seen the baby line array, other than prototypes.  Across the product line, the value proposition is outstanding.

Dick, you are only partially correct.
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2013, 11:00:48 PM »

Pretty talented line up to say the least. I would certainly like to hear them if given the chance.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2013, 11:00:48 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 25 queries.