ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Amplifier and DSP recommendations / thoughts?  (Read 1453 times)

richard_cooper

Amplifier and DSP recommendations / thoughts?
« on: February 05, 2013, 03:11:42 PM »

I need to replace an ageing set of amplifiers that power a FOH system in a small theatre that also does some live music, mostly Jazz and folk. They will be powering 4 x RCF PA281 cabinets (2 Stalls, 2 Balcony) which are 4Ω cabinets "300W RMS 1200W Peak" and 2 unknown and unmarked 2x18" subs, only info I have states 4Ω 1000W RMS 2000W Program.

The current amplifiers, that are dying, are 2 x RCF DCA1050 (500W/ch@4Ω) and one unknown amplifier (manual had the name Q-Tec in it) that claims 1050W/ch@4Ω.

I'm looking to replace these amplifiers nearly like for like, and to get a new DSP for it that would ideally be 3 in 6 out. Budget is not set yet, I need to propose it. I'd like to keep the amplifiers to portable use and not installation types as hopefully the whole system will be replaced in the next few years and these could be reused to replace some in an ageing portable system we have. I'd like to keep it inexpensive, but not cheap, and to use respected brands with reasonable support/warrantee etc. I'd like to buy three amplifiers of the same brand & line. I NEED them to be as quiet as possible as they currently live in a rack in a control room with no noise isolation from the auditorium.

I'd like a new DSP as well to replace the combo of an analogue crossover (DBX can't remember the model 223?) and behringer ultragraph (old model 8024?). I'd like 3 in 6 out as i'd like the ability to do aux subs without repatching the amplifiers. I'd preferably like the DSP to have a piece of remote software that can be networked as this would enable the use of current network cabling, but USB could also work.

My thoughts are something along the lines of 2 Yamaha P5000s and 1 Yamaha P7000s. I know these amps quite well and know they are virtually silent. Another thought was to do away with the stand alone DSP and go with something like 2 x XTI2002 and 1 x XTI4002. I see they have different Fan settings but any experience with the noise that fan makes? Any recommendations or thoughts on alternatives?

For DSP I'm not hugely sure what is available. I know there is the Behringer DCX, which would work and I have a few, but I don't feel it's remote capabilities are that great and it will need to be installed in a place that's not optimal for adjusting. There is the Xilica XP-3060 that seems to have everything I would need, but I've no experience with the brand, so again recommendations?

On pricing up the Yamaha/Xilica and XTi routes both come in at around £2400 form a big German box shifter, so that would be the guide price but I'm open for suggestions or thoughts.

Many Thanks.

ProSoundWeb Community

Amplifier and DSP recommendations / thoughts?
« on: February 05, 2013, 03:11:42 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 25 queries.