ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: When bad things happen to good consoles - M7CL lock up  (Read 9437 times)

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
When bad things happen to good consoles - M7CL lock up
« on: February 01, 2013, 09:22:35 AM »

We are in the midst of a large corporate event.  Three days of install in a hotel ballroom, cables every where, twelve speaker zones, Optocore digital snake talking to an M7CL via MY cards at FOH.  Each night of the three night event has the room in a different format and the mix position is in a less than ideal ( as in no where near anything useful ) spot .  It's always been a struggle to get zones dialed in before hand and mixes balanced with a rotation of live music, both rock band and 24 piece big band plus strings, podium and video play back so this year after plenty of warm up at other corporate events I touted the merits of control via the iPad as a valuable tool in getting things just right in the money seats.  Things are going swimmingly on the first night which is a stand up reception for 3000 people with four bands playing rotation on a stage in the center of the room.  I'm wandering around with the iPad adjusting things.  My FOH guy is at the M7 mixing what makes sense there, the monitor guy is mixing at stage side with one band in four playing right into his face.  The room is so crowded that at one point I have to go into a side hall and come back in at another door almost certainly loosing contact with the wifi but I've lost contact a few times before during the night without issue.  As I enter near the mix riser the bands change again and it sounds a bit dull. It seems that when the mute scenes were changed by the FOH engineer the console had locked up.  It still passed audio but with the previous bands' mics open.  The surface would not respond to any controls either on the board or on the iPad.  After a few tense moments assessing all of this I restarted the console and things went back to normal.  Has anyone experienced this kind of lock up on an M7CL and more specifically has anyone tied StageMix/iPad control to this sort of thing?  Last night was the most survivable time for this to happen, by the time it locked up the crowd was well into their nth mixed drink and not paying much attention.  Tonight and tomorrow are the scripted shows and a lock up here would be nasty.  This is our 15th year doing the event and we've used the M7 for the last six years without a glitch, the new element is the iPad ( and a new 5Ghz router ).  Any observations would be appreciated.

Scott Helmke

Re: When bad things happen to good consoles - M7CL lock up
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 10:01:14 AM »

Remote control in a crowded event is the only time I've ever seen those consoles bog down or have problems.  A slow or unreliable link is definitely not a good thing.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 10:20:19 AM »

Remote control in a crowded event is the only time I've ever seen those consoles bog down or have problems.  A slow or unreliable link is definitely not a good thing.

Another good reason to not rely on a WiFi device for a show. OK for setup and optimizing, not so much for when it really counts.

On another note, 5 minutes ago I got some reenforcement for why we put a UPS on digital consoles. During walk in, with 2 minutes till the CEO takes the stage, we lost all power in sound and video because the company supplying the power to shows in the hotel pulled power with no notice. The M7 displayed a notice that the internal PS had lost power. My A2 got out to the dock where the tie in was and saw the guy still there and got it turned back on. We had music running in the room as soon as the power came up, and we started the show as soon as the projectors re-started.

Mac

Greg_Cameron

• Cameron Pro Audio
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 12:10:30 PM »

During walk in, with 2 minutes till the CEO takes the stage, we lost all power in sound and video because the company supplying the power to shows in the hotel pulled power with no notice.

Why did they pull the power?
"Procrastinators of the world - contemplate uniting!"

Cameron Pro Audio

Philip Roberts

• Church and H.O.W. Forums
  • South West MI
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 12:57:26 PM »

I've had something similar happen to me.

It was using studio manager at the time (before StageMix was released).

As I recall if the network connection is interrupted while changing something on the console it will lock up as described.

Philip

Jim Wilkens

• Marblehead MA
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 01:40:10 PM »

I had that happen once - very similar situation. My mistake was running Studio Manager and the ipad app simultaneously. Can't do that. Restarting the console fixed it.

Jim W.

Andrew Makinson

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 02:35:32 PM »

we've used the M7 for the last six years without a glitch, the new element is the iPad ( and a new 5Ghz router ).  Any observations would be appreciated.

Riley, You are probably running the latest version of the firmware, but this was known to happen with version 3.51/2.  It wasn't fixed until Version 3.54.  I've never had an issue with 3.55 and Stagemix.

--Andrew Makinson
--
Andrew Makinson
Grace Covenant Church
Chantilly, VA

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 05:38:34 PM »

Why did they pull the power?

Just an idiot at work. Apparently he thought he was disconnecting a different service. I guess his work order said some room was done at 11am. It wasn't our room.

Mac

Gustaf Kempe

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 06:58:20 PM »

I had a m7 that locked down, all physical knobs and faders wouldnt work. The screen worked though. It was extremely hot at the time (40 dgr C). I restarted it and thebsame thing happened again (during soundcheck). I saw on the screen when it booted up that it said "check sum error". So I restarted it again whilst holding the store button down and then reset the whole console. That made the trick for me. It worked the ehole show.

paul bell

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2013, 08:16:31 PM »

With the majority of people today using smart phones, I would say in a room of 3,000 people the wireless airwaves were pretty busy.

All this wireless walk-around pad stuff is nice but yet another way to really screw things up.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2013, 08:16:31 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 25 queries.