ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HD Paint or Screen?  (Read 6835 times)

Kevin Wilson

• Living Word Fellowship
HD Paint or Screen?
« on: July 15, 2012, 04:42:18 PM »

Hello everyone,

We are in the process of renovating our sanctuary - and part of that is moving the existing projector from shooting off the wall on the side to center back wall.  Our original plan was to frame out a fixed screen - yet while in a discussion with a prospective contractor - he mentioned instead going with HD painted - framed out as well to resemble a screen.

We have no natural light into the sanctuary except for the rear main doors.  The overall space seats about 140 - so it isnt large.

My main question concerns issues like fade out - wash out - things of that nature.  The price for the HD paint option is about half what the fixed framed screen was going to cost... yet that really isnt why we are considering this. 

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.  I will do my best to answer any questions on info I may be overlooking.

Thanks so much!
Kevin Wilson

Ryan C. Davis

• SL,UT
Re: HD Paint or Screen?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 10:46:43 PM »

Go with the fixed screen. They look professional and have a predictable viewing cone and screen gain. I don't know what he's quoting you for each option so double the price may be a lot of money but if it's like $700 vs $1400 I'd go fixed screen every day of the week.

Besides, painted screens just look cheesy.
Ryan Davis

TonyWilliams

• Nashville, TN
    • Blog
HD Paint or Screen?
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 12:13:21 AM »

We actually just put a new projector in a sanctuary that has a wall painted with screen paint. Nobody thought to make sure the wall was flat until we turned the projector on discovered a pincushion effect on the wall because the center of the wall was closer to the projector than the rest of the wall.

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 08:26:28 AM »

Our original plan was to frame out a fixed screen - yet while in a discussion with a prospective contractor - he mentioned instead going with HD painted - framed out as well to resemble a screen.
What is "HD paint"?  There are a number of 'screen paints' available but I'm not sure what they are actually referencing.

As Ryan and Tony noted, with 'screen paints' the wall preparation is often critical to the resulting image quality, any variations, seams, etc. in the wall can translate to the projected image.  And with some of the 'screen paints' you have very limited knowledge of what you are getting as they may not provide gain, vieiwng angle or other technical data.

Not knowing the specific product and many 'screen paint' products offering limited or very questionable technical information makes it difficult to answer the kind of questions you seem to have.  And unless the technical data is available and can be accepted as being valid, then there may be no way to answer them other than to try it.  That being said, there are many churches that have been quite happy with 'screen paint' screens or even regular painted walls, it's all a matter of expectations.

You might want to verify what surface prep in included in the screen paint cost offered or whether that might be addressed as a separate effort and associated cost to be provided by others.

Chad Whittington

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2012, 12:26:22 PM »

We revamped the AV in our sanctuary last Christmas and had the same questions.  We have a similar sized room to you and no windows.  We ended up projecting onto the wall with the existing paint.  The room is painted off white.  We brought in a demo model of the projectors that we were planning to buy and did a test with one of our existing screens and compared it to the paint on the wall.  We found that the difference was negligible.  This was the cheapest solution and when the projectors are turned off for other events no one notices them because there is no screen or framed areas with a different color of paint.  I don't think this solution would work in all buildings or setups but it's super easy to test and by far the cheapest option.  With the brightness and resolution of the new projectors it might work for you too.

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2012, 06:15:40 AM »

The higher resolution can actually work against you, but often the bigger issue is not how many people are viewing the image but rather where they are in relation to the image.  And the effect of the room lighting on the image, the relation of the projector to the projected image and so on.  There can also be subjective factors such as the relative importance of accurate color reproduction, some may not care about accurately reproducing colors but others may not be happy if the colors in the projected image differ from the intended colors.  Those are the types of practical and subjective considerations that make it so difficult to say that what is completely acceptable in one situation will be acceptable or not in another.

Doug Hammel

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2012, 03:52:54 PM »

We recently renovated one of our childrens ministry rooms. The room got "turned" 90 degrees and the wall space where the projector is shooting is smaller than the existing screen. Since they repainted the room I got some flat white paint and painted my screen. It has worked out well, granted it is a short throw (12 feet) and it is a "consumer" projector. Later on when we upgrade the projector I will take another look at it, maybe I will do a black border. Bottom line, for our application, it worked out well and everyone is happy and I did not have to buy a screen.

Doug Hammel   

Hello everyone,

We are in the process of renovating our sanctuary - and part of that is moving the existing projector from shooting off the wall on the side to center back wall.  Our original plan was to frame out a fixed screen - yet while in a discussion with a prospective contractor - he mentioned instead going with HD painted - framed out as well to resemble a screen.

We have no natural light into the sanctuary except for the rear main doors.  The overall space seats about 140 - so it isnt large.

My main question concerns issues like fade out - wash out - things of that nature.  The price for the HD paint option is about half what the fixed framed screen was going to cost... yet that really isnt why we are considering this. 

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.  I will do my best to answer any questions on info I may be overlooking.

Thanks so much!

Eric Eskam

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 11:43:09 AM »

Who wouldn't want a high quality professional screen?  It's definitely the easiest way to go - however painting doesn't have to be "low grade" - you can get high quality results while dealing with issues like uneven walls.

There is a great resource on AVSForum:  http://www.avsforum.com/t/929997/beginners-guide-to-simple-diy-painted-screens

They cover many of the points raised in this thread, and then some.  I tested out a few of the formulas on a spare piece of drywall and concluded we really need to upgrade our projectors first - but after we do upgrade our projectors, I will be again testing out the paint before just looking for a screen - because most importantly, how the combination of the projector and screen interact in *our* environment is the most important thing of all.  And even if I don't end up painting for our screen, in testing different formula's to see what works the best I will dramatically narrow down the number and types of screens to look at for our environment - so it still has incredible value to me.

The key is - if you are willing to spend the time, you can get similar or in some cases better results than from the pre-made screens.  For me it comes down to what we have more of - money or time.  It certainly isn't money so we will make the time  :-[

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 11:43:09 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 24 queries.