ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lectrosonics DM84 with Crestron control  (Read 5376 times)

Bob L. Wilson

Lectrosonics DM84 with Crestron control
« on: January 29, 2013, 05:32:40 PM »

Application is a lecture room at a church. Current setup uses a lectern mounted RCW-VLS for master system level control. This works reasonably well with our pastors and staff who have trained themselves to ask the audience if the sound is okay. This setup does not work well for visiting lecturers, somebody usually ends up having to walk up on stage to adjust the level. We have an older Oxmoor DCA2 with a pair of RC16 volume controls for our foyer sound system and the free spinning encoders have proven to be very user friendly. Could a couple of Crestron APAD units and a QM-RMC be readily configured to control a DM84. I realize  Crestron software is not available to the public through legitimate channels in the USA but it seems to be readily available on the web. Is there some other similar control arrangement we should be considering?

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
Re: Lectrosonics DM84 with Crestron control
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 07:42:35 PM »

If just volume control, many options at much lower price points. 

Crestron isn't and end-user tweakable system, programmers who know what they are doing cost real money.

Who installed the system?  Did you contact them?
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 06:23:15 AM »

I agree with Caleb, although if you want to control multiple volume levels or other parameters of the DM84 it is an option.

Crestron, along with AMX and Extron, try to limit availability of hardware to authorized dealers and software to authorized programmers.  It's a way to help insure some level of quality and competency in order to both offer a better end product and control the support required.

I used to do a lot of AMX and Crestron programming back in the days of AXCESS and SIMPL-C.  I was providing some ongoing programming for a major corporate client when they decided they had a number of computer programmers in-house and would do it themselves.  They were soon back, noting that the programming was essentially a specialized language.  Things have progressed since then but control system programming still requires some specialized knowledge.

Jason Lavoie

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 03:30:24 PM »

Application is a lecture room at a church. Current setup uses a lectern mounted RCW-VLS for master system level control. This works reasonably well with our pastors and staff who have trained themselves to ask the audience if the sound is okay. This setup does not work well for visiting lecturers, somebody usually ends up having to walk up on stage to adjust the level. We have an older Oxmoor DCA2 with a pair of RC16 volume controls for our foyer sound system and the free spinning encoders have proven to be very user friendly. Could a couple of Crestron APAD units and a QM-RMC be readily configured to control a DM84. I realize  Crestron software is not available to the public through legitimate channels in the USA but it seems to be readily available on the web. Is there some other similar control arrangement we should be considering?

Lectrosonics has some great tutorials to help you control an Aspen system with CommandFusion over Ethernet.
Although they don't really talk about it, you can add something like one of these http://www.globalcache.com/products/itach/wf2slspecs/
and use CommandFusion (on iphone or ipad) to control parameters in a DM84
The best part is that if you only need a small selection of controls the software license is free so all of the staff can load it onto their phones.

This is almost simple enough that someone could program it without even seeing your system (if you just want a master volume control)

Jason

Bob L. Wilson

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 04:15:54 PM »

Lectrosonics has some great tutorials to help you control an Aspen system with CommandFusion over Ethernet.
Although they don't really talk about it, you can add something like one of these http://www.globalcache.com/products/itach/wf2slspecs/
and use CommandFusion (on iphone or ipad) to control parameters in a DM84
The best part is that if you only need a small selection of controls the software license is free so all of the staff can load it onto their phones.

This is almost simple enough that someone could program it without even seeing your system (if you just want a master volume control)

Jason
I appreciate the constructive response but an Icult/mobile touch screen solution doesn't really work for this application.

Bob L. Wilson

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 07:37:58 PM »

If just volume control, many options at much lower price points.
A concrete example with two station rotary volume controls would be great.
Who installed the system?  Did you contact them?
Let me put it this way the last contractor installed system in this room was an Altec mic preamp, Shure notch filter, and a Crown D150 converted to run mono into a custom built center speaker, roughly 30 years ago. This room has been the beneficiary of lots of gear repurposed from other locations on our campus over the years plus a few specific purchases. Most recently I pulled out a Symetrix 421M and replaced it with the DM84 to facilitate the addition of stereo playback channels and a subwoofer. I had previously switched the room over to an EVI-28 about ten years ago when the 421M was installed, this time I added a repurposed pair of EV FR200B for left and right and a repurposed TL440 subwoofer. I went with the RCW-VLS at the time as I needed some form of level control without leaving the DM84 accessible like we had done with the 421M. I had originally mounted the control adjacent to the equipment rack at stage right but was asked to relocate it to the lectern. I have a Denon DN-A7100 surround sound processor and two pairs of SL10-2V surround sound speakers for this room as well but have not yet had time to get them installed. Eventually it would be nice to program the the Crestron units to not only control output levels from the DM84 but also the Denon as the IR remote may or may not be sufficient.

Jason Lavoie

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 05:47:04 PM »

I appreciate the constructive response but an Icult/mobile touch screen solution doesn't really work for this application.

Sorry, just trying to save you a couple grand..
if you want the crestron then buy the crestron
ps: if being mobile is the issue, you can mount an itouch in a secure mount like this http://www.idocxonline.com/Idocxonline.com/Home.html

Jason

Bob L. Wilson

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 11:03:21 AM »

Sorry, just trying to save you a couple grand..
if you want the crestron then buy the crestron
ps: if being mobile is the issue, you can mount an itouch in a secure mount like this http://www.idocxonline.com/Idocxonline.com/Home.html

Jason

A banker firend of mine put a good sized home automation contractor out of his misery before Christmas. The bank has a 40' sea can packed with hardware they need to sell. Based on their research in to what the stuff will bring if they let another local contractor cherry pick it or Ebay everything, I can buy four APADs and a QM-RMC, all NIB, for $250.

We are an institution with a wider mission, and better ways to distribute scarce resources. Currently we are building a school for boys in Pakistan so they have a choice beyond the fifth grade other than the madrassas. Google: "Pakistan madrassas" and you will see why this is good for everyone.

Besides I generally hold this to be true in all things:

"Only suckers pay retail" Cosmo Kramer

Jason Lavoie

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2013, 02:08:02 AM »

A banker firend of mine put a good sized home automation contractor out of his misery before Christmas. The bank has a 40' sea can packed with hardware they need to sell. Based on their research in to what the stuff will bring if they let another local contractor cherry pick it or Ebay everything, I can buy four APADs and a QM-RMC, all NIB, for $250.

We are an institution with a wider mission, and better ways to distribute scarce resources. Currently we are building a school for boys in Pakistan so they have a choice beyond the fifth grade other than the madrassas. Google: "Pakistan madrassas" and you will see why this is good for everyone.

Besides I generally hold this to be true in all things:

"Only suckers pay retail" Cosmo Kramer

That's a great step, but I still think you'll be surprised at the programming bill even for something so simple.
Though if you average it out with the cheap hardware you'll probably be ok.

Jason

Bob L. Wilson

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2013, 04:42:18 PM »

That's a great step, but I still think you'll be surprised at the programming bill even for something so simple.
Though if you average it out with the cheap hardware you'll probably be ok.

Jason

I scrounged up the software from some offshore website. It doesn't look too bad. I will be able to muddle through.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2013, 04:42:18 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 26 queries.