ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: Power distros for entertainment like bands & concerts or stage & theatre shows  (Read 44157 times)

Lonnie Eldridge

I have several clamp multimeters from cheap $10 units to $50 units of various home depot varieties, none of which are true RMS.  They all measure approximately the same.  I could not tell you the response times, I have no idea what they or if a spec was even in the monuals for that. 

I started a thread about currect draw about a year ago after being surprized at how low the current draw was.  After starting that thread and wanting to know if my meters were accurate or not I borrowed a friends very over priced but fancy Fluke unit and it showed no appreciable difference in current draw.   

Read here
http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,136370.msg1273904.html#msg1273904

I think we all expect our gear to pull way more current than it actually does.  Modern amplifiers are very efficient and sip electricity rather than gulping it.

Great info.  I read it all.  Very interesting and eye opening.  And somewhat refreshing and definately helps put things in perspective for a lot of things.

What meter are you going to be using or do you use now?  You said you use a clamp on style right?  Do you just leave it on or just use it when you want to take some readings?

RYAN LOUDMUSIC JENKINS

• Az Concert Sound Solutions

And may I ask what size wire you're using for your distro to branch out 4 ways to your amp racks?  Obviously it's not 6/4 cable right?

Yes, my amp rack each get 6/4 cable run to them.  Typical setup would be Generator with #2 5-Wire Banded on Cam Locks to my Distro.  From my distro to Amp Racks with 6/4.  I do a ton of work with generators so I chose to go with 50 amp connectors on my Rack Packs so I can plug right into the 50 amp courtesy plugs on generators.  Much faster and easier if I only need a couple runs of 6/4.  No need to bring out the distro.

let me ask you a question even though I know it will vary based on size and location and so on but.....what size generator do you typically get in these situations and what do they "typically" charge you to drop them off and set them up for you for a day rate or weekend rate?  Considering that they don't allow you to come get them and set them up yourself and drop the cables yourself (as you said they do it), what do they "typically" rent for in your area?

I use anything from 25kVA to 125kVA depending on the application,

Where I work, you typically need to get a generator permit and have them inspected so I let the event coordinators/promoters deal with it these days.  Many jurisdictions require two ground rods 8' deep on 45 degree angles, I'll let the generator supplier pound that into the ground and remove at the end of the show!  Generators can be had for as little as $125 + Fuel + delivery and pickup for a typical 8 hour day or they can cost upwards of a couple grand depending on what is needed.

ProSoundWeb Community

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 24 queries.