ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: KSM9 vs. Beta 87A on UHF-R Wireless  (Read 12638 times)

Dave Gunnell

KSM9 vs. Beta 87A on UHF-R Wireless
« on: January 26, 2013, 08:39:23 PM »

Hi Everyone:

I currently own 8 channels of Shure UHF series wireless with Beta 87A capsules, and I’ve had great success with them on many different vocal sources, as well as occasional instrument solos at jazz festivals.  While they have served me well for many years, I have decided to upgrade the system to UHF-R, and I’m considering ordering the KSM9 capsule this time around.

I do not own any wired KSM9s, but I’ve heard very good things about them.  I like the fact that the coverage pattern can be switched from cardioid to super depending on the source and isolation needs.

While I’m tracking down a KSM9 to audition, I’m interested in opinions from those who have used this capsule.  As mentioned earlier, main use will be vocal performance (at times high energy), with occasional use on instruments during jazz festivals.  How do they compare to the Beta 87A?  Do they sound good on both male and female voices?  I’m not overly worried about the additional cost of this capsule, as long as it will be versatile, durable, of excellent sonic quality, and rider friendly.

Thoughts from those with experience would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Dave

Chan Xiang Ju

• XJ Audio and Visual Productions
Re: KSM9 vs. Beta 87A on UHF-R Wireless
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 11:39:37 PM »

It depends on the application in my opinion. I find it picks up too much stage noise on loud stages. But does sound great in the right hands.

Hi Everyone:

I currently own 8 channels of Shure UHF series wireless with Beta 87A capsules, and I’ve had great success with them on many different vocal sources, as well as occasional instrument solos at jazz festivals.  While they have served me well for many years, I have decided to upgrade the system to UHF-R, and I’m considering ordering the KSM9 capsule this time around.

I do not own any wired KSM9s, but I’ve heard very good things about them.  I like the fact that the coverage pattern can be switched from cardioid to super depending on the source and isolation needs.

While I’m tracking down a KSM9 to audition, I’m interested in opinions from those who have used this capsule.  As mentioned earlier, main use will be vocal performance (at times high energy), with occasional use on instruments during jazz festivals.  How do they compare to the Beta 87A?  Do they sound good on both male and female voices?  I’m not overly worried about the additional cost of this capsule, as long as it will be versatile, durable, of excellent sonic quality, and rider friendly.

Dave

Peter Morris

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 12:06:14 AM »

Hi Everyone:

Dave

Very familiar with Beta 87’s but not the 87a … so FWIW the KSM9 is MUCH better Beta87 in every respect. I have KSM9s, KMS-105s & AE-5400s … all 3 are superb and voice very similarly. The KSM9 is the best in fold-back and is the most versatile of the 3, but not quite as detailed as the Neumann or the Audio-Technica.

Steve Payne

• Soundworks of Virginia, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 09:14:43 AM »

Dave,
  I don't men to muddy the waters, but if you are in a position to audition, I suggest you try the Sennheiser 2000 series wireless system with the e965 capsule.  We use this system with either 945 or 965 capsules, depending on the application.  We have found it to be rock solid. Audio and RF performance is excellent.  In our use, it has outperformed the UHF system it replaced
Steve Payne
like us on Facebook at:
https://www.facebook.com/SOUNDWORKSOFVIRGINIA

Steve Milner

• DcSoundOp Audio Blog
KSM9 vs. Beta 87A on UHF-R Wireless
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 10:26:55 AM »

Dave,
  I don't men to muddy the waters, but if you are in a position to audition, I suggest you try the Sennheiser 2000 series wireless system with the e965 capsule.  We use this system with either 945 or 965 capsules, depending on the application.  We have found it to be rock solid. Audio and RF performance is excellent.  In our use, it has outperformed the UHF system it replaced

+1 ... Some of the absolute best wireless I have ever used is the Sennheiser 2000 w/ Neumann KMS105 capsules.

Tom Young

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 09:05:08 PM »

I am just wrapping up an install where (after auditioning one) I supplied (4) KSM9's on 6 of the ULX RF mic's. They are VERY nice sounding and seem to be well-behaved as far as pickup pattern. They require little EQ. Nice, "airy" top end and not overblown bottom end.

For the money, they sound incredible.

HTH
Tom Young
Electroacoustic Design Services
Oxford CT
203-888-6217

Dave Gunnell

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 05:55:13 PM »

Dave,

Actually Steve, thank you very much for 'muddying the waters.'  I am now looking at the Sennheiser 2000 series, and it looks very promising.  Just curious--did your new rig repalce a UHF-R system?

Thank you all for your replies.  Steve's post is likely spawning another thread on the Sennheiser system and its capsules...

Steve Payne

• Soundworks of Virginia, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2013, 10:55:16 PM »

Actually Steve, thank you very much for 'muddying the waters.'  I am now looking at the Sennheiser 2000 series, and it looks very promising.  Just curious--did your new rig repalce a UHF-R system?

Thank you all for your replies.  Steve's post is likely spawning another thread on the Sennheiser system and its capsules...

Our 2000 Sennheisers replaced Shure UHF (NOT UHF-R).  I had experienced recurring noisy outputs on several channels of our UHF units.  Returns to Shure service produced only temporary fixes. Putting a di on the output "fixed" the problem.  I was tired of having to stick di's on the output of our A wireless rig to make it quiet.  I may be the only person in world to have had this problem with the UHF system, but it soured me enough that I was not feeling warm and fuzzy about replacing the "old" Shure system with a "new" Shure system.  I decided to give the Sennheiser system a try, and I haven't looked back for a minute.  The performance, reliability and sound of the 2000 series has been a total winner for us. 
Steve Payne
like us on Facebook at:
https://www.facebook.com/SOUNDWORKSOFVIRGINIA

Dave Gunnell

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 12:47:19 AM »

Our 2000 Sennheisers replaced Shure UHF (NOT UHF-R).  I had experienced recurring noisy outputs on several channels of our UHF units.  Returns to Shure service produced only temporary fixes. Putting a di on the output "fixed" the problem.  I was tired of having to stick di's on the output of our A wireless rig to make it quiet.  I may be the only person in world to have had this problem with the UHF system, but it soured me enough that I was not feeling warm and fuzzy about replacing the "old" Shure system with a "new" Shure system.  I decided to give the Sennheiser system a try, and I haven't looked back for a minute.  The performance, reliability and sound of the 2000 series has been a total winner for us.

I have had similar noise/ground loop issues with the older UHF series, so you were not alone.  While they are dead quiet on my Spectra board, in almost every other situation I end up needing a combination of transformers and ground lifts to get things to quiet down...

Chan Xiang Ju

• XJ Audio and Visual Productions
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2013, 12:10:38 PM »

2000 series is a good idea. RF is very solid, well built and can link with Sennheiser WSM system on a computer. Now that there is a KK205 (Neumann KMS105) capsule to go with it, so its a strong fight against KSM9 if not better. Got a number of US and European A Cappella group that toured and came by Singapore with the 2000 series but with the e965 capsule. haven't seen anyone with the UHF-R as yet.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2013, 12:10:38 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 24 queries.