ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: If you have Yamaha CL5 questions I'll try to answer  (Read 28193 times)

Steve Bunting

• SteveBunting.com
Re: If you have Yamaha CL5 questions I'll try to answer
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2012, 07:59:38 PM »

The 4 character limit on the 1D, 5D, and DM2k is due to the name display above the fader. The M7 and LS9 don't have that display, the channel name is only displayed on the screen when that fader or bank of faders is on the screen. I think you can have names longer than 4 characters on the 5D and DM2k, they just get truncated in the channel display.

Mac

No long names on PM5D, just the 4 character one.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2012, 08:44:26 PM »

It's sort of like finding the master rack screen on an LS9... secret handshake type stuff, makes sense once somebody tells you.

The Dante output patching is really the Rio patching, and since they are rack units it's found under the Rack button on the CL5.  The annoyingly non-intuitive part is that you have to select the desired Rio unit, then select the Output tab at the bottom of the popup window.  That's where you can patch Rio outputs to Dante channels.  And it's on the slow side since you have to wait for the remote patching to happen.

I just got back from a CL-5 class, and a Dante networking class. There is a lot to like on the CL-5. The one thing that is both non-intuitive, and silly, is that you must patch the Dante output channels to the Rio output ports. The console comes with a default 1-1 patch of the Riio input ports to Dante which appears in the patch screen and is default patched 1-1 to the input control channels, not so for outputs. The US support team is trying to get that changed. I would think anyone who owns a console would create a default setup saved on a stick that you can reload with the Dante output patching done. That is also a good way to be sure the console always goes out the same.

There are lots of little tweaks to the M7 style control, a big plus to multi select for copying 1 channel to many. Drag your finger across the channels you want to paste to and eq or dynamics can be pasted to multiple channels.

The button labels have 2 type sizes. Up to 5 characters is the big font, 6-9 characters is the small font. For this reason I have to wonder why the included easy to select channel names include "High Hat", "O-head R" and "O-head L". What was wrong with Hat, <OH and OH>? Go figure.

If you are using Gain Compensation there is +/- 24dB of range on the digital gain, so you want to be sure you have the preamps roughed in before you turn on GC. This is pretty easy since until you turn on GC both (all) consoles have preamp control. Once it is close, turn on GC and go to preferences to change the gain knob to digital control instead of analog. Use analog only to correct for too hot overloading or too cold reducing S/N. One of the standard UDKs is an "alt" key. When pressed and held it changes the function of some controls. Input gain is one of those. Once you are in GC and have switched to digital gain, pressing the alt key changes the knob back to analog if you need to make a correction. If you are using GC with multiple consoles you can switch to 32 bit AD to increase S/N, but this reduces the maximum number of channels on the network, but the number is high enough that is unlikely to be a problem unless you already have 8 Rio racks on the network.

It's also cool to be able to run both CL Editor and CL StageMix at the same time. You can have 3 operators, one on the surface, one on the editor, and one on the iPad. Since you can have 4 CL consoles on 1 network, you can have 12 people mixing! Maybe not...

Recording onto Nuendo Live via Dante Virtual Soundcard is very slick. I don't remember if you can record mp3 into Nuendo Live, but there are a couple of formats. I would think Broadcast wav is the way to go since it can be loaded into most DAWs. You can drop markers either by hitting the marker button, or by changing scenes. If you are changing scenes the name of the scene is on the marker. As mentioned elsewhere, the channel name and color code track to Nuendo, and if you record Broadcast wav the metadata stays with the file into other DAWs.

This has all been stream of consciousness, I didn't actually take any notes or photos. I may be able to answer questions, so feel free to ask.

Mac

edit: spelling
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 12:01:00 PM by Mac Kerr »

Mac Kerr

• Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2012, 08:47:30 PM »

A few more things:

You can get tap-delay on a UDK.

You also get tap delay in StageMix, and can multi select FX to set the tempo on multiples at the same time.

Mac

Mac Kerr

• Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2012, 08:53:22 PM »

Kristian, I don't have any specific questions as I really need to read the manual (oh joy).

In what significant ways does the user interface differ from the M7?  I understand your reference to the LS9 screen as I dislike it, too, so I'm looking for things that work backwards (is button light -channel on or off?); things that don't route intuitively; things that used to have default settings now different or unpatched..... stuff like that.

Thanks for starting this thread.

The UI is very similar to the M7, and the screen is not much like an LS9, a little bigger I think than an M7, and sharper. There is more of everything. I mentioned the output patch in my earlier post, that was the only really non-intuitive thing if you are M7 savvy.

I didn't play with the FX, but they are supposed to be much better than M7. Both are marketed as "SPX2000" FX, but these have all new presets. Selecting FX is much faster now, and done from a graphical screen not a list.

Mac
edit: spelling
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 12:02:20 PM by Mac Kerr »

Devin B. Kim

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2013, 04:47:05 PM »

We use CL5 for our church and even though I like the features of mixer, we are limited by time of 30 min for connecting and adjusting at the console...

Connecting means wiring for drum (4), bass, 2 keyboard, per, elec G, Acc. G, 4 singers, 4 cho, 1 lead and podium (2) and this takes 10-15 minutes.   Since we have to bring equipments to stage and setup. 

That leaves less than 20 min to adjust before sermon begins and I am always short on time.   Start time is always fixed and not possible to delay.

Background,  I have an EE degree and working as an engineer and also avid music lover with Mcintosh audio gears at home and do all repairs on equipments at home.

Although all channels are pre-wired to the floor boxes, and setup input/outputs, it's hard to EQ and dynamic at the same time at the console with people who are willing to help but not really know how.

How can I direct them to use the time more efficiently so I can start a little faster and not worry about limited time that I have?

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2013, 05:00:36 PM »

We use CL5 for our church and even though I like the features of mixer, we are limited by time of 30 min for connecting and adjusting at the console...

Connecting means wiring for drum (4), bass, 2 keyboard, per, elec G, Acc. G, 4 singers, 4 cho, 1 lead and podium (2) and this takes 10-15 minutes.   Since we have to bring equipments to stage and setup. 

That leaves less than 20 min to adjust before sermon begins and I am always short on time.   Start time is always fixed and not possible to delay.

Background,  I have an EE degree and working as an engineer and also avid music lover with Mcintosh audio gears at home and do all repairs on equipments at home.

Although all channels are pre-wired to the floor boxes, and setup input/outputs, it's hard to EQ and dynamic at the same time at the console with people who are willing to help but not really know how.

How can I direct them to use the time more efficiently so I can start a little faster and not worry about limited time that I have?

Hi Devin-

If you are referring to connecting the monitor speakers/IEMs, microphones and direct boxes for the singers and instruments, there are a number of ways to make it faster but most of them require having the same people do it every time, or it will take as long or even longer than it does now.  If you have such helpers, we can discuss work flow a bit later.

One of the benefits of using a mixer with snapshot or scene memory is that you can recall previous settings easily.  If your services have a fairly consistent setup, I would think that you should be "in the ballpark" with a recall, and then tweak whatever needs attention.

The M7 and CL series mixers also have "Library" functions where you can store input settings (gain, EQ, compression, etc) for individual performers and recall them as part of a scene or recall them independently.  You can have an Input file in the Library for each singer, for example, and recall those settings as needed.  For example, if your soprano singer is usually on input 5, but the music leader has her moved down the line and she is now at the mic patched to input 8, you can select input 8, go to the input library and recall the Soprano file rather than reconstruct the EQ or other fiddly bits from memory or by ear.

Hope this helps.

Tim Mc
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2013, 05:22:14 PM »

Hi Devin-

If you are referring to connecting the monitor speakers/IEMs, microphones and direct boxes for the singers and instruments, there are a number of ways to make it faster but most of them require having the same people do it every time, or it will take as long or even longer than it does now.  If you have such helpers, we can discuss work flow a bit later.

Color/number coding of cabling and inputs.  In extreme circumstances, proprietary cabling....
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Devin B. Kim

« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2013, 05:57:01 PM »

Thanks Tim
We already use library when recalling setups for eq compresor and other stuff....however all singers rotate weekly, we need to change eq anyway..

Cabling numbers and color coding wont matter since we share all cables and lose them...

Devin

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2013, 06:10:24 PM »

Thanks Tim
We already use library when recalling setups for eq compresor and other stuff....however all singers rotate weekly, we need to change eq anyway..

Cabling numbers and color coding wont matter since we share all cables and lose them...

Devin

There are few affordable solutions to human silliness.  You will need to either get a consistent setup crew or build cable looms, use sub-snakes and multi-pin disconnects.  Depending on how much needs to be done, you're looking at US$ thousands.

Is your application portable church or theater or ???
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2013, 06:10:24 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 24 queries.