ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Soldering Irons - What are you running  (Read 8038 times)

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio
Re: Soldering Irons - What are you running
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2012, 06:56:21 PM »

Hakko Dash 454.  Been using them for upwards of 15 years.  Cheap, reliable, and they work.  With a couple of tips you can do anything from large SMD to 10 gauge wire.

Tim Perry

• Utica-Rome NY
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2012, 06:50:45 PM »

Weller D550 among others...

Doug Hammel

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2012, 02:34:29 PM »

Over the summer my soldering iron I ordered from Horizon Cable over ten years ago finally gave up. I ordered a Weller WESD51. I have always wanted one and I figured this was the time to finally do it. I love that thing, of course it is over kill for most of what I do but... If you are going to do it do it right.

Cheers

Doug Hammel   

What Soldering Iron are you running?  Would you recommend it?

I currently have a Weller SP23L.  Is the Weller SP40L a good upgrade?  I mainly build XLR cables and rack panels

Ron Hebbard

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2012, 04:46:15 AM »

There is a wide swath of price & quality out there.

True value plays out over the long term. How about the LAB veterans share info regarding manufacturers with easy to find, reasonable-cost iron tips? How to max out tip life?

Better yet: How does one use & maintain that "first iron" for XLR & similar use?

Hi Jim;

I own, and still use regularly, a Weller from prior to 1977.
I can't tell you model at the moment as I've left it on a job site over night.
It's thermostatically controlled at 700 degrees but not variable temperature.
I only ever use one tip, a conical, and I get approximately 10 years out of tip.

'Secrets' of longevity:
Always keep the sponge wet.
Always wipe the tip and apply a little fresh solder when about to use; not a lot, we're not carrying solder to the work here, only a little to keep the freshly wiped tip from oxidizing.
Whenever I'm setting the iron down for a few minutes or an hour, I wipe the tip and apply a liberal amount of solder to keep the tip tinned and protected.

I know I purchased it prior to '77 as I moved to a different city and it went with me.
I think I may have purchased it in the early 70's while still working in broadcast.
In all these years I only recall having replaced the heating element once.
Normally I'm soldering connectors and through-hole boards, these days I fudge the odd bit of SMT.
When dealing with a conical, round, tip against a round wire you're bringing together two round surfaces and thus have a very small point of contact to transfer heat.  Having a touch of fresh solder on the tip effectively increases the contact, heat transfer, area.
In general, heat from below touch solder to the top, get in / get out, don't move 'til set.

As with most things, you get what you pay for.
I'm still using Klein cutters from my apprenticeship in '67.
Cheap tools learn to walk at an early age just like good tools.
If you're not of the mindset to keep track of your tools you can lose a lot of money.

Season's Best!

Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2013, 06:16:49 AM »

I used to have Weller stations.  Got tired of fixing them.  Bought the Hakko454 for about the same price as a replacement Weller heater, and all has been well.

Sam Feine

• Personal Website
Soldering Irons - What are you running
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2013, 08:12:31 AM »

My favorite iron to date is a metcal rf series iron, nearly instant heating and plenty of power for anything you can throw at it. I wish that I could afford one myself but at 800 dollars new, these things do not come cheap.
Electro-Acoustic Engineer at Community Professional Loudspeakers

Zachary Zimmerman

• Shenandoah, VA USA
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2013, 04:53:57 PM »

What Soldering Iron are you running?  Would you recommend it?

I currently have a Weller SP23L.  Is the Weller SP40L a good upgrade?  I mainly build XLR cables and rack panels

Can't go wrong with the Weller WESD51 I use mine for the same purposes you do and it works great. Great temperature control and recovery time.
Hey Y'all watch this

Richard Turner

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2013, 07:14:58 PM »

Weller WTCTP the one I have is from the 1950's and works A1, if you need higher temp or another shape tip they are ~$5
Weller DS800 desolder station, I find it indispensible, guessing its from mid 80's Used to drive myself nuts with that desolder wick before getting it.
Weller pistol grip gun, the 2 setting one 2 clicks on trigger, good for tinning 12ga speaker wire or soldering lugs on car battery cables and such.
Hardware store heat gun for heatshrink tubing.
Looking at retiring. Local PA market has shrank to 2 guys with guitars and bose l1 compacts or expecting full line array and 16 movers on stage for $300... no middle left going back to event DJ stuff, half the work for twice the pay.

Thomas Lamb

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2013, 08:18:31 PM »

I've had the weller wsd51 and also the hakko 936(currently) they are both great units you couldn't go wrong either way. I also have a butane unit that was a snap on (probably oem by someone wish I knew who) is has seen quite a bit of work over the years too great road/install piece.
bigTlamb

"If you suck on a functional analog desk, you'll really suck on a complex digital desk...." Dick Rees

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2013, 08:18:31 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.017 seconds with 25 queries.