ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Extracting Analog Audio from HDMI  (Read 19522 times)

Thomas Dameron

• SR Forums
Re: Extracting Analog Audio from HDMI
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2013, 12:16:56 AM »

The 1st generation iPad will do video over AirPlay... It cannot do "mirroring" over AirPlay...

Only the 2nd generation and up can do full "mirror mode" Airplay...

As far as the audio output through Apple devices... The setup that I run at our local downtown theater consists of outputting video and audio over HDMI, as well as optical audio out of our iMac... The setup that I put together runs 1080res HDMI video output with embedded audio into an HDMI to HD-SDI box, and into out matrix system throughout the building... At the same time, the iMac is running optical audio out via the built-in mini-TOSlink connector (which is made into the headphone audio out jack), into our cinema audio system...

The iMac is setup in the Audio/MIDI setting utility to be a multi-output device... This allows me to be able to send the audio out the Mini Display Port through an HDMI adapter, and onto the rest of the building via HD-SDI, as well as simultaneously sending audio to our Denon DN-A7100 pre-amplifier...

If you need to send analog out instead of optical via TOS-link, you can do the same and use a regular 3.5mm TRS  cable into a DI or console... You should be able to do the same with a USB audio interface as well (as far as doing a multi-output device in the Audio/MIDI utility)...

If you want any screen shots of what I am talking about as far as the multi-output setup, just let me know!

Cool, thanks Ryan!  Yup, mirror mode was a must in our application, but might not be the case for everyone.  I did know about the optical on the iMac, but it's a helpful reminder.  The same company has a bunch of iMacs for PlayBackPro and their optical dongle could be helpful for grabbing digital off of that.

I'm definitely with you that it's the way to go getting it all in one HD/SDI stream if you're distributing it, but neither I nor the OP needed that option.  Still definitely good info. 

Hope eveything's going well up in C-Ville, I worked for Mike and Jason for a good while.  Which venue are you referring to?  If your on one side of the mall tell John I said hi, if it's the other tell Gary hi. 

thomas d.

Curtis H List (Too Tall)

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2013, 11:19:13 AM »

Hi All:

I provided audio and video projection for an event last weekend, and one of the presenters showed up with a presentation on his iPad 2.  I had the Apple widget that provides an HDMI jack, but it later occurred to me that I have no way to break the audio out of that stream (luckily his presentation did not have any audio content).  My projector is DVI input as well (no HDMI), so it cannot break the audio out for me.

After the gig I did some looking around and came across this box from Calrad.  Also saw an almost identical item on Markertek (likely from the same manufacturer).  Also found this one on the B&H website.  Anyone ever used any of these?  Is there something else out there that I should be looking at?  I would prefer a unit from a name-brand manufacturer (with XLR outputs), but I don't see much out there...

Thanks.

Dave

I have been using this to turn HDMI into analog video and audio.
http://www.diytrade.com/china/pd/9610105/HDMI_to_Composite_S_video_Converter_with_AV_Cable_and_5V_1A_Power_Supply.html

Not "Pro" but it works for what I am doing.
I have HDMI coming out of a ASUS laptop to an HDMI active splinter. One goes right to a Plasma 60" so I can monitor what is going into the system.

The other HDMI to the HDMI converter, which feeds a video capture card.
For the HDMI to work you have to select it in the computer settings. If you choose HDMI for audio the analog sound from the laptop is shut off.
You can only use one, either digital or analog.

Non of this is Pro.
By the time the video goes through the video capture card the resolution is rather poor compared to the HDMI you sent in.

Ryan Peacher

• Charlottesville, VA
    • Ryan Peacher
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2013, 05:11:07 PM »

Hope eveything's going well up in C-Ville, I worked for Mike and Jason for a good while.  Which venue are you referring to?  If your on one side of the mall tell John I said hi, if it's the other tell Gary hi. 

thomas d.

Sure thing! I work with John and Gary... I have not worked with Mike or Jason, but I do know both of them... Our venue is The Paramount Theater, the one where Gary works... John works mostly at The Jefferson Theater across the mall from us... I think John is doing alot of traveling gigs now, all across the states...

I'll be sure to tell them you said hello on the next gig...

Glad I could help out some...
---------------
Ryan Peacher | Freelance Engineer/Technician
T- 434.989.9843 | E- [email protected] | W- www.ryanpeacher.me

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2013, 05:11:07 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 25 queries.