ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: JTR Noesis 3TX FOH PA Speaker  (Read 45006 times)

Jeff Permanian

• JTR Speakers Inc.
Re: JTR Noesis 3TX FOH PA Speaker
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2013, 12:47:38 PM »

I will need a bit of a clarification about the use of that specific horn driver combo. Spec says the xover is 400Hz, on the other hand the horn is 18sound 2064 that has a low cut off at 800Hz. And the manufacturer is not recomending it to be used under 800Hz. Am i missing something here?

You are miss a few things. The horn isn’t a XR2064 however the horn I’m using is of similar size. The horn is 180mm deep (7.08”) and horns have directivity down to ¼ wavelength which is 416hz. The crossover point (-6db down) on the production units ended up at 450hz. The horn starts losing its 40x60 coverage pattern below 1667hz (one wave length) however due to its design, having a square mouth and nearly equal distant path horizontally and vertically, it is well behaved as the coverage pattern gradually becomes omni unlike rectangular horns with uneven path lengths. The horn is larger than most if its competitors.

The compression drive I’m using is the BMS 4593 which is a coaxial compression driver. It is rated at 118db at 1 watt on a 40x20 horn however I’m measuring 115db at 1 watt (15db padding in crossover) on the 40x60 horn. The power handling is rated at 150w aes and 1000w peak which means it’s capable of 136db continuous and 145db peak. The Noesis 3TX has a tremendous amount of head room giving it ultra low distortion.

http://bmsspeakers.com/index.php?id=4593nd_overview
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 03:48:26 PM by Jeff Permanian »

Marjan Milosevic

• MM-acoustics
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2013, 09:58:59 PM »

Jeff, we use BMS exclusively on our top boxes so i am quite aware of what you use. Just the horn looked  as the 18sound horn, which can not load that driver down to 400Hz. And the 18sound  horn is bigger then your, not smaller.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 09:08:51 AM by Marjan Milosevic »

Mike Christy

• Southern Maine
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2014, 06:07:06 PM »

I will be receiving another pair of 3TXs next week. After a year under my belt with them there is nothing I can complain about. The additional two will give me appropriate coverage on wide venues and some outdoors events I having coming up - after the snow melts, if it ever does by June...

My most recent gig with them was a Beatles sound-a-like band performing in one of those old music halls/converted movie theater venues. The mid/hi coax on the horns brought the vocal clarity to the very rear of the theater nicely. For a "ground stacked" rig, I could not be happier.

Mike

Steve Hurt

• Lab Lounge
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2014, 07:09:29 PM »

I will be receiving another pair of 3TXs next week. After a year under my belt with them there is nothing I can complain about. The additional two will give me appropriate coverage on wide venues and some outdoors events I having coming up - after the snow melts, if it ever does by June...

My most recent gig with them was a Beatles sound-a-like band performing in one of those old music halls/converted movie theater venues. The mid/hi coax on the horns brought the vocal clarity to the very rear of the theater nicely. For a "ground stacked" rig, I could not be happier.

Mike

I'm very happy with mine also.  Vocal clarity is great, doesn't fall apart at high volume.  The only thing I want is 2 more.

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2014, 07:41:12 PM »

Mike

Was the band you worked with called Sixtyfour? I'm related to the bass players wife.
Douglas R. Allen

Mike Christy

• Southern Maine
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2014, 08:29:12 PM »

Was the band you worked with called Sixtyfour? I'm related to the bass players wife.
Douglas R. Allen

Nope, All Together Now, not a look a like, def sound a like.

Seems theres quite a few of these B bands around...

Mike

John Rutirasiri

« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2014, 12:03:50 AM »

I'm very happy with mine also.  Vocal clarity is great, doesn't fall apart at high volume.  The only thing I want is 2 more.

I've been wanting a pair or two for sometime now but keep spending money on something else (car repairs, kids, etc.)  I was talking to someone about these and made a comparison in terms of SPL to EAW NTL720 line array boxes I use.  It takes at least 3, if not 4 of the NTL720s to equal the output of one 3TX.  At street price of $4K per NTL720, it makes the 3TX an incredible bargain (granted they're different beasts and the NTL720 is powered.)

Jeff, if you're listening, put the horn in the middle like the 2AX, add some hardware and turn this puppy into a line array!

JR
ClearImpact Sound & Event Services, Inc.
Sound/Lighting/Corporate A/V

"If it ain't broke, make it better."

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2014, 02:14:53 PM »

Jeff, if you're listening, put the horn in the middle like the 2AX, add some hardware and turn this puppy into a line array!

You're joking, right?

Typed on a virtual keyboard. 

Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2014, 07:00:13 PM »

JR
You need to do a little reading up on how line arrays "work" and some of the science behind them.

Sticking a wide coverage horn between 2 woofers is NOT one of the parameters or design goals.

But to some people it is not the actual performance that matters-only what it looks like-to each his own.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

John Rutirasiri

« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2014, 12:30:47 AM »

You need to do a little reading up on how line arrays "work" and some of the science behind them.

Sticking a wide coverage horn between 2 woofers is NOT one of the parameters or design goals.

But to some people it is not the actual performance that matters-only what it looks like-to each his own.

Ivan, of course I don't mean for him to put a wide coverage horn like what he has on his point source boxes.  That would not make it a line array cabinet at all.  I meant load the mids and compression driver into a suitable horn for a line array format box.

I just wish he would make a line array cabinet.  His own design.  I would buy it.

For the record, I own a 3-dozen EAW line array boxes, a bunch of SLS line columns, four each of your (or Tom's) GH-60 and SH46.  I have an understanding of how a line array versus point source works.  But I do not know how to classify the GH60. 

JR

ClearImpact Sound & Event Services, Inc.
Sound/Lighting/Corporate A/V

"If it ain't broke, make it better."

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2014, 12:30:47 AM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 24 queries.