ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Mackie DL1608  (Read 14145 times)

Steve Garris

Mackie DL1608
« on: January 22, 2013, 05:07:15 PM »

I apologize if this has already been discussed. I've been reading various forum posts that mention this mixer, its pluses and shortfalls. I have an opportunity to try one at an upcoming gig, but I now have some reservations.

The post eq/comp aux send is my biggest complaint. I read that this issue could be fixed with a software upgrade, and might happen soon. It really should be switchable on all 6 auxes, if that is possible. But man would I love to leave all 300 lbs of my mixer, processing gear and 100 ft snake at home (just guessing on the weight).
I believe the only way to safely use this is to have no less than (2) ipads at the gig. This provides a backup just in case. I will also be very careful picking out and securing the router. I've read about the global phantom power - not an issue for me.

Aside from the above, any thoughts on this mixer? When I first started reading about it I was ready to sell my gear and convert to the 1608, but the aux sends need pre-post choices (hopefully a firmware upgrade?). My upcoming gig is a Metal hair band, so I can't compromise on my monitor mix.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: Mackie DL1608
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 05:13:54 PM »

I apologize if this has already been discussed. I've been reading various forum posts that mention this mixer, its pluses and shortfalls. I have an opportunity to try one at an upcoming gig, but I now have some reservations.

The post eq/comp aux send is my biggest complaint. I read that this issue could be fixed with a software upgrade, and might happen soon. It really should be switchable on all 6 auxes, if that is possible. But man would I love to leave all 300 lbs of my mixer, processing gear and 100 ft snake at home (just guessing on the weight).
I believe the only way to safely use this is to have no less than (2) ipads at the gig. This provides a backup just in case. I will also be very careful picking out and securing the router. I've read about the global phantom power - not an issue for me.

Aside from the above, any thoughts on this mixer? When I first started reading about it I was ready to sell my gear and convert to the 1608, but the aux sends need pre-post choices (hopefully a firmware upgrade?). My upcoming gig is a Metal hair band, so I can't compromise on my monitor mix.

Mackie "mixer" : $ 980
iStuff:              $1100

Total:          over $2K

I'll keep carrying the weight.  Besides, I put it on wheels.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Jonathan Betts

• http://www.facebook.com/pages/JLB-Sound-and-Production/156817657745906
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 05:19:28 PM »

I really like mine. I have done over 20  shows using as a FOH mixer with no issues.

My expenses:

Mackie DL $900

I Pad $300
Airport Express$60
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 05:23:01 PM by Jonathan Betts »

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 05:31:17 PM »

I really like mine. I have done over 20  shows using as a FOH mixer with no issues.

My expenses:

Mackie DL $900

I Pad $300
Airport Express$60

How long does the iPad  battery last before you have to buy a new pad?  Doggone planned obsolescence/non-user serviceable iJunk anyhow.  How long before Apple changes their design so you'll have to spend even more money to get something that works as well as what they used to sell before their "upgrade"?

And the OP wants 2 iPads for redundancy/backup........

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Scott Harris

• Subwoofer forum
  • Worcester, MA
    • Running Sound
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 05:39:09 PM »

How long does the iPad  battery last before you have to buy a new pad?  Doggone planned obsolescence/non-user serviceable iJunk anyhow.  How long before Apple changes their design so you'll have to spend even more money to get something that works as well as what they used to sell before their "upgrade"?

Depending on usage the iPad batteries appear to last at least 3 years.

Ryan Grandusky

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 05:42:07 PM »

I've been using a DL1608 instead of my 16 channel mix wiz/outboard gear/snake for my club and bar gigs and I love it! The channel EQ control is great and I have a whole new respect now for mixing wireless. My FOH is a mic stand with an ipad holder attached. Also load out at the end of the night is so much faster.

Some negatives to consider (not enough to make me dislike my DL1608):

You have to be sparing with the compression on vocals if using wedges for the issue you already mentioned.

I don't like that the L/R main outputs shares one EQ control so you don't have independent EQ for separate left or right adjustments.

Familiarize yourself with the app and controls for quick operation. If you plan to use the tap delay as you have to swipe a few times to get there so the faster you can move the better.

Always check that you are on the right set of controls before adjusting channels. It is easy to forget you are in one of the aux sends thinking you are adjusting a particular channels volume for the main outputs.

I recommend using an ipad 2 or newer because there is a freezing issues with the app since the v1.3 release on the ipad 1. When mixing the ipad 1 will get stuck in the EQ and Processing sections and you cant get back to the mixer controls with out crashing the app.
Ryan "Squirrel" Grandusky
Sound Provider in Central Texas.
Speakers: RCF HDL6a, NX-L44a, 8006-AS, EV XLD281, QRX153, QRX115, ZX1, SB122, XSUBS, JBL PRX835w, SRX828SP, Yorkville LS2100P, EAW SM200, Macpherson M12P, Yamaha A12M.
Consoles: Digico SD12, SD11, Soundcraft Si Perf 1, Exp 3, Comp 24, Midas M32, Presonus SL 32SX, SL 16r, Mackie DL1608

Matteus Köza

• SWEDEN - Västerås
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 08:42:22 PM »

what happens if the app crash by the time you restard the program? settings etc..

I recommend using an ipad 2 or newer because there is a freezing issues with the app since the v1.3 release on the ipad 1. When mixing the ipad 1 will get stuck in the EQ and Processing sections and you cant get back to the mixer controls with out crashing the app.
KORG PA2x & KORG PA3x PRO
RCF TT25a

Ryan Grandusky

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 09:31:55 AM »

what happens if the app crash by the time you restard the program? settings etc..

The App is just the control surface so if it should freeze or your ipad dies for whatever reason the Mackie DL1608 keeps going on its last settings, it doesn't care. You can forcibly close the app then open it and reconnect / re-sysnc to the DL1608 and it picks up where you left off. It takes about 30 seconds tops to reconnect. If you are operating with 2 ipads one app crashing does not effect the other.

I should add that when the app on the ipad 1 freezes you can still limp by so long as you are not stuck in an output 31 band eq screen. When the app gets struck in the channel processing screens you can still mute and control channel volume one channel at a time by swiping left or right for each channel but having to swipe 16 times to turn up the kick drum is ridiculous.

I think the issue is with the ipad 1 not having enough resources to run the Mackie Master Fader app after its most recent update. IIRC the ipad 2 has almost double the processing power of the ipad 1.
Ryan "Squirrel" Grandusky
Sound Provider in Central Texas.
Speakers: RCF HDL6a, NX-L44a, 8006-AS, EV XLD281, QRX153, QRX115, ZX1, SB122, XSUBS, JBL PRX835w, SRX828SP, Yorkville LS2100P, EAW SM200, Macpherson M12P, Yamaha A12M.
Consoles: Digico SD12, SD11, Soundcraft Si Perf 1, Exp 3, Comp 24, Midas M32, Presonus SL 32SX, SL 16r, Mackie DL1608

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2013, 02:44:16 PM »

FWIW I have an iPad 1(which I bought used when it was around a year old) that is approaching 3 years old and I haven't noticed an appreciable decrease in battery life; it will still get 7-9 hours depending on usage. However I wouldn't recommend the iPad 1 because of the very limited hardware power; the iPad 2 and newer are much better.

Debbie Fish

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2013, 02:18:58 AM »

I'm currently touring a show with the Mackie DL1608 and for the first 15 or so shows, we never had any problems. It's great for touring in that it's small and the wireless capabilities are exceptionally useful for some venues. Great sound quality. Yesterday however we had our first 'glitch' when the whole board seemed to freeze. Thought it was just the ipad, so closed the app, and then restarted the whole ipad but the problem only went away when we restarted the hardware. Luckily we were only doing a tech-run, but wondering how to avoid this happening during a show. Obviously, powering everything down is not an option mid-set. Has anyone encountered this problem? Any ideas on how to fix or avoid completely? Operating with an ipad 4.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2013, 02:18:58 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 23 queries.