ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Mackie DL1608  (Read 14155 times)

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Posting Rules
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2013, 11:27:26 AM »

I'm currently touring a show with the Mackie DL1608

Please go to your profile and change the "Name" field to your real first and last name as required by the posting rules displayed in the header at the top of the section, and in the Site Rules and Suggestions in the Forum Announcements section, and on the registration page when you registered.

Mac

Scott Bolt

Re: Mackie DL1608
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2013, 11:19:55 AM »

I apologize if this has already been discussed. I've been reading various forum posts that mention this mixer, its pluses and shortfalls. I have an opportunity to try one at an upcoming gig, but I now have some reservations.

The post eq/comp aux send is my biggest complaint. I read that this issue could be fixed with a software upgrade, and might happen soon. It really should be switchable on all 6 auxes, if that is possible. But man would I love to leave all 300 lbs of my mixer, processing gear and 100 ft snake at home (just guessing on the weight).
I believe the only way to safely use this is to have no less than (2) ipads at the gig. This provides a backup just in case. I will also be very careful picking out and securing the router. I've read about the global phantom power - not an issue for me.

Aside from the above, any thoughts on this mixer? When I first started reading about it I was ready to sell my gear and convert to the 1608, but the aux sends need pre-post choices (hopefully a firmware upgrade?). My upcoming gig is a Metal hair band, so I can't compromise on my monitor mix.
Steve,

I am currently researching digital mixers.  The DL1608 gets pretty darned good reviews from people who use it.  A friend of mine went from a MixWiz to a SL 16.4.2 to the DL1608.  I have heard all of the above, but as you know, much of the quality of the sound FOH has more to do with other factors than the mixer.

My friend (and a few others on the web I have seen post similar complaints) would have liked the gain to be remotely adjustable/recallable.  The knobs are easily jostled in transport which makes the problem a little worse.  Aside from that, the reverb for vocals has been quoted as "good enough"..... but on-par with the SL verbs (better than the MixWiz built in efx).

Most people who have them seem to be quite happy with them and very few have reported any serious issues mixing with the iPad.

James A. Griffin

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2013, 10:20:09 AM »

I've been very pleased with mine for the 10-11 months that I've had it.    I've used it for 25 or so gigs when i didn't want to tote around a bigger mixer.

The effects, while not stellar, are usuable.  Same with EQ and comp.  I've been able to make it work just fine.  Again, this is a 'smaller gig' mixer.   I've done some small clubs, some corporate.

The iPad app has occasionally dropped out, but seems to always immediately re-sync on it's own, taking less than 10 seconds do it.

The input trim pots are a little flimsy and too easy to turn.  They are so close together that you might bump one while adjusting another.    Johnny Medina, who travels with Marcia Ball and uses the mixer every night, came up with a clever way of putting lock washers on the pots to make them harder to turn and stay in place.

The connector at the end of the slot to use the iPad as a Wired (and self-powered) device is a little worrisome.    a) I'm wondering how many times you can slide it in to connect before it wears out.   b)  If you ever use iPad 1, you have to install the little hardware pieces to make it work.  An extra PITA if the iPad 1 is used in a 1 off situation    c) the connect doesn't work for the current and future versions cause Apple modified the connector.

That being said, the quirks aren't that big of a deal.  I've enjoyed using it and will do so many times again.   Cost to me was only $1000 since I already had a router and iPad.     It will likely get a little less use when I get the X32 Rack, which for only $500 more will give me a much deeper feature set, especially since I already use the X32 and 2 S16 stage boxes.     I'll probably sell mine at that point, not because I don't like it, but just because the X32 Rack will integrate more seamlessly with my usual workflow.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 10:23:58 AM by James A. Griffin »
I need to determine where in this swamp of unbalanced formulas squatteth the Toad of Truth

Steve Garris

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2013, 08:24:03 PM »

Just an update - I've been using mine since purchasing in Feb with excellent results. The DL1608 sound IS better through this than my Mixwiz (now sold). I have few complaints, if any. I purchased this case, and love walking in to the clubs and mixing with this board:

http://www.gregsproaudio.com/products/mackie-dl1608-hard-case

Since buying mine I've had 4 additional friends purchase the 1608, all using them with great success.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2013, 08:24:03 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 24 queries.