ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wireless Audio Transmitters  (Read 3892 times)

Johnny Owens

Wireless Audio Transmitters
« on: January 22, 2013, 03:43:21 PM »

when using, say a four pack of wireless, how close can the frequencies be without crosstalk?  I usually like to keep them separated as, 560.000 and 560.500.  Would frequencies that close have potential of crosstalk?

Jordan Wolf

Re: Wireless Audio Transmitters
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 04:42:25 PM »

when using, say a four pack of wireless, how close can the frequencies be without crosstalk?  I usually like to keep them separated as, 560.000 and 560.500.  Would frequencies that close have potential of crosstalk?
Johnny,

My rule of thumb is at least 1MHz separation between transmitter frequencies.

However, there are other things to consider: what make & model of wireless device are you using?

I know that Shure and Sennheiser both have software programs that calculate the frequencies that can cause issues when using multiple transmitters, especially in close proximity to one another (called intermodulation, or IM products).  Most manufacturers also supply pre-programmed "groups" that you can use to keep these IM products from being an issue.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 05:06:26 PM »

It depends on the model of wireless, but 400KHz is usually fine. what is more important is that they are the right frequencies. With more than 2 RF mics you have to be aware of intermodulation products. With just a few mics you can probably get by with the frequency groups that the manufacturer has recommended. With lots of mics they generally do not suffice, and IM software like PWS's IAS is needed.

Mac

Kellen Tyburski

• Kellen Tyburski | Audio Engineering
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 11:43:13 AM »

It depends on the model of wireless, but 400KHz is usually fine. what is more important is that they are the right frequencies. With more than 2 RF mics you have to be aware of intermodulation products. With just a few mics you can probably get by with the frequency groups that the manufacturer has recommended. With lots of mics they generally do not suffice, and IM software like PWS's IAS is needed.

Mac

+1, especially if the transmitters are close to each other. If you are looking for something cheap/free Shure's WWB6b or earlier version is a good option.
KT

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 11:43:13 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 24 queries.