ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Who has Speakon Y cables ?  (Read 21998 times)

Avraam J. Dectis

Who has Speakon Y cables ?
« on: January 22, 2013, 02:13:57 PM »

Hi All,

I hope this question is not too stupid, but, who sells Speakon Y splitter cables?

I am think of buying some Crown XTIs and JBL JRX speakers.  The JRX do not have a pass through speakon connector and speakon Y cables do not seem to be easily found.

I have seen posts suggesting that I make them but I would prefer to avoid the hassle and potential deficiencies of that solution.

It seems off that the Y cables are rare and the speakers do not have a pass through build in and the crown amp only has one output speakon  per channel.

Thanks in advance.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Who has Speakon Y cables ?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 02:28:07 PM »

Hi All,

I hope this question is not too stupid, but, who sells Speakon Y splitter cables?

I am think of buying some Crown XTIs and JBL JRX speakers.  The JRX do not have a pass through speakon connector and speakon Y cables do not seem to be easily found.

I have seen posts suggesting that I make them but I would prefer to avoid the hassle and potential deficiencies of that solution.

It seems off that the Y cables are rare and the speakers do not have a pass through build in and the crown amp only has one output speakon  per channel.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Avraam-

Can you help us by describing your proposed wiring and tell us exactly which models of JRX you are considering?  There may be alternative ways of wiring you are not aware of.

I do not recall ever seeing a commercially made NL-4 "Y" cable.  I have seen some small metal boxes that have NL connectors with a variety of wiring arrangements (Y; routing various pins to different connectors, etc.) but they are fairly expensive, around US$ 80-$100.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 02:35:53 PM »

The easiest solution is to get 2 banana to speakon adaptors. You can stack the banana plugs on top of each other at the amp.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Steve Milner

• DcSoundOp Audio Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 02:40:35 PM »

Hi All,

Thanks in advance.

In my experience, it is worth building them yourself. If you put it in a small plastic project box, you can wire it as a parallel pass-through and then also have a pin-shift output. This allows you to put the (Y) where you need it.

With 4-wire speakon, it can be handy to run a single cable over to the far side of a stage for instance, and then use the box to either split out to two cabinets from there as a typical (Y) would, or if you need to drive the other box on it's own, you use pin-set two for that at the amp end, then shift that signal onto pin-set one at the end of your long run.

If you simply need an additional physical speakon output at the amp, that is typically done in a patch panel on the amp rack. These can be built to any level of complexity you want, but it sounds like a single rack space panel with a handful of speakon panel mount connectors should get the job done for you. I've included a photo I found online of a simple example of a basic patch panel that would work for your needs.

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 02:41:12 PM »

Hi All,

Thanks in advance.

If you're still in the considering stage, I'd consider something other than JRX, which are pretty terrible speakers.  The Yamaha Club series is fairly comparably priced, and significantly better.  Additionally they have 2 speakon sockets.
http://www.yamahaproaudio.com/global/en/products/speakers/clubv_series/specifications.jsp
It would be good for you to suggest your plan, because what you're trying to do may be accomplished better a different way - i.e. don't use more than one speaker per side.

If you're willing to consider backing up one more step, I'd be inclined to buy a pair of quality active speakers instead of the passive speakers/amp route.  Sound quality will be MUCH better than the current gear you're looking at, and they'll be easier to setup and use, too.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 02:42:25 PM »

Hi All,

The best and most honest advice I can give you regarding your problem is not to buy JRX.  They are mud-pits in a box.  By upgrading to some more serviceable boxes you'll get the parallel connectors AND speakers that you won't hate after using them a time or two.

Seriously.

Edit:

TJ......

You beat me buy a few seconds.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Randall Hyde

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 02:45:41 PM »

Hi All,

Thanks in advance.

Speakon cables are relatively easy to make yourself (Y or otherwise). If you can't make them, then you probably can't fix them. And if you can't fix them, life will get expensive for you :)

Seriously, though, don't JRX have a 1/4" and a speakon connector on the back of them? If so, just get a 1/4" to speakon cable and you should be good to go.

Of course, I'd *strongly* recommend against JRX cabinets. They sound terrible. Go with the JBL 400-series cabinets, at the very worst. Yeah, a little more money but JRX are total trash (well, IMO).
Cheers,
Randy Hyde

Steve Kennedy-Williams

• Kennedy-Williams.net
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 05:11:50 PM »

We built our own Y adapters into a project box, but we looked at these as well.

http://www.gearboxpro.com/products

Garry Wilson

• Laurel, MD
    • 98.6 Sound
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2013, 07:54:45 PM »

We built our own Y adapters into a project box, but we looked at these as well.

http://www.gearboxpro.com/products

I have some of the boxes made by gearboxpro, they're nice.

Garry
Garry W.
CTS, SBE-CEV, A+
www.986sound.com

Ted Christensen

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2013, 03:13:46 AM »

I would agree. Dont buy jrx. If you reallly need to go for it. Why not just add another speakon connector on the jrx box instead of y connectors. Or buy the Yamaha s. Its done for you.
Danley SH46 / Th115 / EV ZX5 / EV QRX212H / QSC HPR / Lab Gruppen / Chauvet / Blizzard / Allen and heath ilive

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2013, 03:13:46 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 23 queries.