ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: How do I tell how much power?  (Read 8383 times)

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
Re: How do I tell how much power?
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2013, 04:52:56 PM »

Get in line.  Dime a dance.

PS

Ant says to say hi.
You'd be rich at a nickle a dance.

Ask Ant if his giant RCA fiberglassed "W" bin became a flower bed, or is still in audio use somewhere.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2013, 05:10:52 PM »

You'd be rich at a nickle a dance.

Ask Ant if his giant RCA fiberglassed "W" bin became a flower bed, or is still in audio use somewhere.

No, I'd be dead.  I don't know who'll get the nickels.

I'll ask him.  He's laid up with a slipped disc or some such right now.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2013, 06:27:57 PM »

No, I'd be dead.  I don't know who'll get the nickels.

I'll ask him.  He's laid up with a slipped disc or some such right now.
Write a will: I give all my residuary estate to Art Welter

Bummer, Ant's spinal cord has probably never been the same since he used an upside down cab-over semi for a scoop shovel on a drive back from California.
He was lucky to be alive after that,  our PM-3000 looked kind of like a gull wing.

I'm pretty lucky to have survived those days too, only lost about 50 dB at 4k...

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2013, 08:19:58 AM »

The basic issue seems to be that a speaker takes electrical energy and converts it to mechanical motion that in turn is converted to acoustical energy.  Thus there are multiple conversions involved in getting from the electrical energy being input into a speaker, where Volts, Amperes and Watts matter, to the acoustical energy at a listener where Acoustic Watts, Sound Pressure Level, Loudness and so on are related.

Different speakers will convert the energy differently so a given electrical signal value at the input of a speaker may relate to a different acoustical signal value for the output of different speakers.  How that acoustical signal couples to the room and from there to the listener may also differ.

I was just reminded yesterday that when the Beatles played in Atlanta in 1965 they performed at an outdoor stadium to 34,000 people using a total of around 700W to power both the mains and monitors (the generally acknowledged first use of stage monitors for large scale live sound reinforcement).  Expectations for the sound quality may have been different then but thousands of screaming girls was just as loud then as now so being heard above that with, by today's standards, so little power required efficient speakers and shows just how much how the speaker converts the electrical energy input into acoustical energy can matter.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2013, 08:19:58 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 25 queries.