ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Good Sound Advice -Thank you  (Read 8377 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Good Sound Advice -Thank you
« on: January 18, 2013, 09:39:46 AM »

Just wanted to say that I really appreciate it when I can ask questions on here and get good sound advice from people who know what they are talking about and just want to help others. I have used other forum websites where the so-called experts have such 'holier than thou' attitudes and do nothing but make the person who asked a simple question look stupid and foolish. I have seen people ridiculed on other sites and they have stopped using them. I am one of those people and I am so pleased to have found a forum where this does not happen. Thank you people who know what they are talking about without having to humiliate someone to get the point across !!!
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

RYAN LOUDMUSIC JENKINS

• Az Concert Sound Solutions
Re: Good Sound Advice -Thank you
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 10:40:06 AM »

Just wanted to say that I really appreciate it when I can ask questions on here and get good sound advice from people who know what they are talking about and just want to help others. I have used other forum websites where the so-called experts have such 'holier than thou' attitudes and do nothing but make the person who asked a simple question look stupid and foolish. I have seen people ridiculed on other sites and they have stopped using them. I am one of those people and I am so pleased to have found a forum where this does not happen. Thank you people who know what they are talking about without having to humiliate someone to get the point across !!!

Don't worry, the worst is still to come!  They won't start to beat up on you until you have 9 posts.  You are currently at 8 so you're safe for a bit.

Luckily the moderators here do a pretty good job of getting rid of the trolls that bring out the bad in people.  Most of the regulars here seem great and are always generous with sharing knowledge.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 11:01:23 AM »

Don't worry, the worst is still to come!  They won't start to beat up on you until you have 9 posts.  You are currently at 8 so you're safe for a bit.

Luckily the moderators here do a pretty good job of getting rid of the trolls that bring out the bad in people.  Most of the regulars here seem great and are always generous with sharing knowledge.

He he....I'll watch out as my posts increase!!! but so far so good.  Sometimes I think that someone who has been involved in the industry for many years forgets that he once was new to it all too. Everyone learns at a different rate and many of us weekend warriors have limited involvement so we never get into the science that much. No question is really a stupid question (for the most part) and can be answered in courteous manner.
Again...thanks
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 11:47:00 AM »

He he....I'll watch out as my posts increase!!! but so far so good.  Sometimes I think that someone who has been involved in the industry for many years forgets that he once was new to it all too. Everyone learns at a different rate and many of us weekend warriors have limited involvement so we never get into the science that much. No question is really a stupid question (for the most part) and can be answered in courteous manner.
Again...thanks

Hi Debbie-

Welcome to the PSW forums; glad you've found them useful.

For the most part we quit eating our own young a couple of years ago, but you never know..... ;)

The only "stupid" questions are the ones that could be answered by RTFM... Reading the F*&$(#^ Manual.  Back in the old days, when manuals only existed on paper and were frequently discarded, this could be overlooked.  Now that almost everything is available on-line, that excuse doesn't work.

The next level of questions are the ones that would be better answered if the poster actually hooked up the gear and experimented outside of the gig.  The "what would happen if I routed the output of a group back into a channel" type of questions, or "what do all the XYZ controls do?"  There are a lot of " 'fraidy cats" whose fear of the unknown keeps them from trying things out, and those trials & experiments are a primary source of both knowledge and experience.  The questions aren't "stupid" but many are premature.

I'm one of the old cranky guys here, and sometimes I get cranky with silly posts.  Part of that relates to the paragraph above.  40 years ago when I first started fooling around with audio and garage bands, there was no internet, there were very few "professionals" that understood sound for rock bands that we could learn from (and most of them were on the East or West coasts).  What most of us old guys (and occasional gal) did was read books and trade magazines, go to band practice and try out what we thought we'd learned.  Sometimes we had good results, sometimes we had unexpected results and sometimes we blew shit up.  I got to be on very good terms with a local speaker re-coning shop and an electronics tech that fixed my power amps.  :-[  But in the end, the $100's (or $1000's in some cases) we all spent on repairs was the tuition at Ye Olde Skool of Hard Audio Knocks®... and I think some of my crankiness (is that a word?) comes from the unwillingness I see on forums for posters to try things the olde skool way - turn it up and see if it blows up.  Take some risk, etc...  Today's young whippersnappers have it sooo  easy...  Nurse! Where are my meds?

Finally, the secret to getting good advice is to provide sufficient details in the initial post.  You'd be surprised how many folks think that, in addition to being Audio Gurus, we are also mind readers.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 11:48:39 AM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 01:07:11 PM »

Hi Debbie-

Welcome to the PSW forums; glad you've found them useful.

For the most part we quit eating our own young a couple of years ago, but you never know..... ;)

The only "stupid" questions are the ones that could be answered by RTFM... Reading the F*&$(#^ Manual.  Back in the old days, when manuals only existed on paper and were frequently discarded, this could be overlooked.  Now that almost everything is available on-line, that excuse doesn't work.

The next level of questions are the ones that would be better answered if the poster actually hooked up the gear and experimented outside of the gig.  The "what would happen if I routed the output of a group back into a channel" type of questions, or "what do all the XYZ controls do?"  There are a lot of " 'fraidy cats" whose fear of the unknown keeps them from trying things out, and those trials & experiments are a primary source of both knowledge and experience.  The questions aren't "stupid" but many are premature.

I'm one of the old cranky guys here, and sometimes I get cranky with silly posts.  Part of that relates to the paragraph above.  40 years ago when I first started fooling around with audio and garage bands, there was no internet, there were very few "professionals" that understood sound for rock bands that we could learn from (and most of them were on the East or West coasts).  What most of us old guys (and occasional gal) did was read books and trade magazines, go to band practice and try out what we thought we'd learned.  Sometimes we had good results, sometimes we had unexpected results and sometimes we blew shit up.  I got to be on very good terms with a local speaker re-coning shop and an electronics tech that fixed my power amps.  :-[  But in the end, the $100's (or $1000's in some cases) we all spent on repairs was the tuition at Ye Olde Skool of Hard Audio Knocks®... and I think some of my crankiness (is that a word?) comes from the unwillingness I see on forums for posters to try things the olde skool way - turn it up and see if it blows up.  Take some risk, etc...  Today's young whippersnappers have it sooo  easy...  Nurse! Where are my meds?

Finally, the secret to getting good advice is to provide sufficient details in the initial post.  You'd be surprised how many folks think that, in addition to being Audio Gurus, we are also mind readers.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc
And just to add-the best questions are ones that the poster has THOUGHT OUT a little bit before asking.

Like when asking how many people XYZ speaker can "cover"?  What is the layout-what is the style of music and so forth go a LONG way towards getting a useful answer.

Or what speaker is "better"?  What are they using it for-how low does it need to go?  How loud?  Does the size matter (does it have to fit in a particular space or vehicle?  What is the dollar amount of "affordable".
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Lee Douglas

• 47.662615, -116.756954
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2013, 01:23:47 PM »

And possibly most important of all, be a gracious recipient of the information imparted to you, as you obviously are.  Some people breeze through and want to know how to cover a crowd of a thousand screaming fans with a Fender Passport and get all butt hurt when they don't get told they answers they want to hear, but instead get the answers they need and will no doubt ignore.  You will get the right information here and often some viable options. I've learned a lot from just reading this forum daily and try contribute back with questions of my own and occasionally an answer when I can!  This is a forum I would actually pay to use.  What's that Groucho line, again?  "I refuse to be a part of any club that would have me as a member!"
This space for rent

David Parker

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2013, 02:51:26 PM »

I started out 30 or so years ago, long before the internet was commonplace and nobody had a computer. I quickly learned that I was WAY ahead of the guy at radio shack and the local music store. I had a lot of questions but no where to go. I trialed and errored  and got by. I can think back to so many things I did wrong that I could have bypassed had I had a resource like this. Glad to be of help.

Nick Simon

• Dark Side of the Moon, MS
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2013, 04:34:49 PM »

Tim, the pastor doesn't like it when I blow sh, I mean stuff up.... ;)     

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2013, 04:39:28 PM »

Tim, the pastor doesn't like it when I blow sh, I mean stuff up.... ;)   

Back in the day, churches had 1 microphone and a pair of 8" speakers in little baffle boxes on the wall.  You couldn't blow it up.

To do real damage you had to spend your own $$.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

David Parker

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2013, 04:48:46 PM »

Back in the day, churches had 1 microphone and a pair of 8" speakers in little baffle boxes on the wall.  You couldn't blow it up.

To do real damage you had to spend your own $$.

the church I grew up in had a 15 watt tube amp inside the pulpit, with a mic that had a lanyard to go around your neck, the predecessor of modern day lapel mics.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2013, 04:48:46 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 25 queries.