ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Good Sound Advice -Thank you  (Read 8382 times)

Nick Simon

• Dark Side of the Moon, MS
Re: Good Sound Advice -Thank you
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2013, 05:06:26 PM »

Back in the day, churches had 1 microphone and a pair of 8" speakers in little baffle boxes on the wall.  You couldn't blow it up.

To do real damage you had to spend your own $$.

Even now, some places think they are the cat's meow when they have a 16 channel analog Peavey (with 2 auxs), a couple SP1's, an EQ, a CS800, and 3 or 4 SM58's (if they bought the expensive mics)   ;D

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2013, 05:08:30 PM »

Even now, some places think they are the cat's meow when they have a 16 channel analog Peavey (with 2 auxs), a couple SP1's, an EQ, a CS800, and 3 or 4 SM58's (if they bought the expensive mics)   ;D

This would be a step up for a lot of places around here......

I actually had the house graphic burst into flames as one after another channel on the house mixer died during the show.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2013, 05:09:42 PM »

Hi Debbie-

Welcome to the PSW forums; glad you've found them useful.

For the most part we quit eating our own young a couple of years ago, but you never know..... ;)

The only "stupid" questions are the ones that could be answered by RTFM... Reading the F*&$(#^ Manual.  Back in the old days, when manuals only existed on paper and were frequently discarded, this could be overlooked.  Now that almost everything is available on-line, that excuse doesn't work.

The next level of questions are the ones that would be better answered if the poster actually hooked up the gear and experimented outside of the gig.  The "what would happen if I routed the output of a group back into a channel" type of questions, or "what do all the XYZ controls do?"  There are a lot of " 'fraidy cats" whose fear of the unknown keeps them from trying things out, and those trials & experiments are a primary source of both knowledge and experience.  The questions aren't "stupid" but many are premature.

I'm one of the old cranky guys here, and sometimes I get cranky with silly posts.  Part of that relates to the paragraph above.  40 years ago when I first started fooling around with audio and garage bands, there was no internet, there were very few "professionals" that understood sound for rock bands that we could learn from (and most of them were on the East or West coasts).  What most of us old guys (and occasional gal) did was read books and trade magazines, go to band practice and try out what we thought we'd learned.  Sometimes we had good results, sometimes we had unexpected results and sometimes we blew shit up.  I got to be on very good terms with a local speaker re-coning shop and an electronics tech that fixed my power amps.  :-[  But in the end, the $100's (or $1000's in some cases) we all spent on repairs was the tuition at Ye Olde Skool of Hard Audio Knocks®... and I think some of my crankiness (is that a word?) comes from the unwillingness I see on forums for posters to try things the olde skool way - turn it up and see if it blows up.  Take some risk, etc...  Today's young whippersnappers have it sooo  easy...  Nurse! Where are my meds?

Finally, the secret to getting good advice is to provide sufficient details in the initial post.  You'd be surprised how many folks think that, in addition to being Audio Gurus, we are also mind readers.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc
I hear you and I agree with you. That is why after I typed "There is no stupid question", I added (for the most part). I have seen questions asked where it is blatantly obvious that someone has come straight to the forum without even attempting to check the manual or give anything a try. They deserve what they get!!! I am old school too and these days I prefer to learn and educate myself than to just plug stuff in like I did years ago. I know I used connect amps into amps and run impedances (by daisy chaining, and chaining, and chaining) WAY lower than they should have been. Whether those old fashioned amps were built to last or not - don't know but I rarely had a breakdown -year after year. I thought I knew a lot but I know I didn't - just enough to be up and running and get into trouble. I feel I get so much more out of my equipment these days by using good quality cables, well matched equipment and having my amps run well within their capacity. I pride myself when I have a question on 1) checking the manual THOROUGHLY, 2) Googling for the answer, and 3) checking on the forums such as this one. - all before I ask the question. Sadly as I explained even after exhausting all these options, there are websites that I avoid because I know no matter how well phrased, how politely put and legitimate my concern, I will still be degraded within the first 2 lines by some megalomaniac who simply cannot be challenged or questioned. Ironically there are those  who suck up to these people and are partially the cause of their inflated egos.
So far........I am liking this forum very much and it is fine if you ever want to chastise me for being a dipstick - it will be taken in good spirit!!!
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Rick Powell

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2013, 06:23:03 PM »

So far........I am liking this forum very much and it is fine if you ever want to chastise me for being a dipstick - it will be taken in good spirit!!!

You could start by separating a long post like this into readable paragraphs, dipstick! :)

Seriously, there are lots of people here that can help, and I've found more than one hard to find item or troubleshooting tip that got me through a gig here.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2013, 06:29:28 PM »

You could start by separating a long post like this into readable paragraphs, dipstick! :)

Seriously, there are lots of people here that can help, and I've found more than one hard to find item or troubleshooting tip that got me through a gig here.
OK ...sorry...paragraphs next time. I tend to type as I think !!!
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Greg_Cameron

• Cameron Pro Audio
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2013, 07:30:46 PM »

Sadly as I explained even after exhausting all these options, there are websites that I avoid because I know no matter how well phrased, how politely put and legitimate my concern, I will still be degraded within the first 2 lines by some megalomaniac who simply cannot be challenged or questioned.

You must be talking about Phil Alison from the AAPLS usenet group. He's legendary...
"Procrastinators of the world - contemplate uniting!"

Cameron Pro Audio

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2013, 07:34:56 PM »

You must be talking about Phil Alison from the AAPLS usenet group. He's legendary...

OMG......and I thought I'd never use that particular acronym.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2013, 07:37:57 PM »

Damn! I had almost forgotten Phil and Phildo.

Mac

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2013, 07:45:25 PM »

Damn! I had almost forgotten Phil and Phildo.

Mac

Phildo and 'Lord Valve' were the reasons I gave up on that newsgroup.  Haven't gotten headers from it in years.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Tim Perry

• Utica-Rome NY
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2013, 10:54:09 PM »

This would be a step up for a lot of places around here......

I actually had the house graphic burst into flames as one after another channel on the house mixer died during the show.

Dick, was that a neptune EQ?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2013, 10:54:09 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 24 queries.