ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: What Wireless Router Are You Using For Mixer Control Via A Tablet?  (Read 9161 times)

Mark Oakley

Re: What Wireless Router Are You Using For Mixer Control Via A Tablet?
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2013, 01:22:59 PM »

This might be a good thread for me to jump into, as I have a few questions.

I'm using a Roland VM-C7200 board controlled by Emagic Soundiver via MIDI to a laptop. The Roland/Sounddiver connection works great, so no issues there. I want to use a program called RealVNC (www.realvnc.com) to enable an Apple I-Pad 1 to remotely control the laptop. The I-Pad has Wi-Fi and 3G.

I occasionaly do gigs outside far away from any Internet access. I don't need Internet access from the router, I just need it to create a "hotspot" that the I-Pad will find and log on to. The router will always be attached to the laptop. Should this work?

-thanks, Mark
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 01:24:37 PM by Mark Oakley »
Oakley Audio

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2013, 01:41:25 PM »

I would highly recommend that you should consider a WAP/router with a removable antenna that you can now treat like the wireless mic's and locate them away from the the other gear.  Place on a stand and get above head height, around 7 foot.  No walls or metal within around 2 feet.   

wifi  2.4 has problems around microwave ovens, garage door openers, and Hotels.  Try moving up to 5 gig wireless access point/router.   Also look into setting up security to prevent the would be hackers from getting in and playing around.  I have been to one show where they had two rooms at a hotel with each one running a presonus mixer and the wifi was crossed and they were adjusting the monitors in both rooms.  One of the groups wound up shutting down the wireless and all was resolved for the shows.

Geri O'Neil

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2013, 02:35:22 PM »

I've had a 2.4GHz access point in the doghouses of both SC48 and M7 with no ill effects to the console or audio.

It works fine for setup, but in most situation there are too many bags of salt water between it and me if I go out into the audience at show time... the WAP antennae need to be up in the air for reliable use in the situations I've encountered.

Asleep at the Wheel uses a 900MHz data link that is much more robust than 2.4 (higher RF output, no phones/tablets trying to connect).  Joe mixes with a Motion Computing tablet, though, not an iFruit.  I think it all came from Ubiquiti....

Spent a day with Joe back this summer. I've been re-lusting for a Motion tablet again ever since.

Geri O

Tim Perry

• Utica-Rome NY
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2013, 11:42:42 PM »

My Linksys wrt160n sucks. I'm looking for something small enough to sit in the case, behind my x-32 that will stay connected within at least 100'. I am looking at the airport express. I'd like to hear from others what they're using, the performance, range, and any helpful tips.....

Airport Express... needs line of sight mostly. Go behind a wall in the back of a 2,000 seat theater and it drops out.  I wouldn't expect a greater range from any other unit as the tablet also transmits so you will be limited by that output also.

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2013, 11:00:18 AM »

I have been using a Belkin N600 DB set up for 5 GHz with my SL, Win 7 Dell laptop, and iPad for over 6 months.  Totally flawless so far.

Mark Oakley

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2013, 11:28:50 AM »

I have been using a Belkin N600 DB set up for 5 GHz with my SL, Win 7 Dell laptop, and iPad for over 6 months.  Totally flawless so far.

Is there a range of frequencies that the I-Pad can respond to? 2.4 to 5 GHz? More?

-thanks, Mark
Oakley Audio

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
Re: Re: What Wireless Router Are You Using For Mixer Control Via A Tablet?
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2013, 11:41:33 AM »

Is there a range of frequencies that the I-Pad can respond to? 2.4 to 5 GHz? More?

-thanks, Mark

Wireless "N" routers can operate on the 2.4ghz and the 5ghz bands and I know the iPad 2 and newer can use both bands (not sure if the iPad 1 can do 5ghz or not). 5ghz tends to be less "crowded" than 2.4ghz.

Sent from my Milestone X using Tapatalk 2

Bob Charest

• Lab Lounge
  • Westbrook ME, USA
    • Bob Charest Band
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2013, 12:18:29 PM »

Wireless "N" routers can operate on the 2.4ghz and the 5ghz bands and I know the iPad 2 and newer can use both bands (not sure if the iPad 1 can do 5ghz or not). 5ghz tends to be less "crowded" than 2.4ghz.

Sent from my Milestone X using Tapatalk 2
I use my iPad1 on a 5GHz connection to a Ubiquiti Bullet access point with an L-Com HGV-4907U antenna. Really great result with this setup. The external antenna keeps things in line-of-sight - Important with 5GHz as the signal attenuates more rapidly with physical obstructions.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 07:11:38 PM by Bob Charest »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2013, 12:18:29 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 23 queries.