ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Buzz in multi-pin.  (Read 1901 times)

bruce gering

Buzz in multi-pin.
« on: January 16, 2013, 09:25:11 PM »

Hi everyone. I own a split snake that has developed a buzz on ch 16 on the monitor split end. The Multi ends are the EDAC/ELCO style pin (not the best, I know, I know) I really haven't had any issues til this little one popped up.

I have isolated the buzz down to the +pin of ch 16. If I remove the pin and wire from the plastic harness, no more buzz. Twist it, turn it, bend it, notta. I have cleaned out the slot that the pin rests in with de-oxit and really don't seen any gunk in there at all. As soon as you put the pin back in, buzz. I tried shielding the pin and wire connection with some shrink tubing with no success.

I finally ended thinking that maybe it really wasn't about the pin contacting anything that might cause a buzz, but possibly something due to a magnetic field or something crazy like that. I found that if run the wire parrallel to any of the other wires, or the center pole (which the pin slot is located next to), the buzz returns.

Is this possible? I mean, how did things get charged up? i have one of those de-magnetizers that I plan on using to see if that helps, but beyond that, I'm truly at a loss as to what this might be. Any ideas?

David Parker

Re: Buzz in multi-pin.
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 10:50:19 PM »

Hi everyone. I own a split snake that has developed a buzz on ch 16 on the monitor split end. The Multi ends are the EDAC/ELCO style pin (not the best, I know, I know) I really haven't had any issues til this little one popped up.

I have isolated the buzz down to the +pin of ch 16. If I remove the pin and wire from the plastic harness, no more buzz. Twist it, turn it, bend it, notta. I have cleaned out the slot that the pin rests in with de-oxit and really don't seen any gunk in there at all. As soon as you put the pin back in, buzz. I tried shielding the pin and wire connection with some shrink tubing with no success.

I finally ended thinking that maybe it really wasn't about the pin contacting anything that might cause a buzz, but possibly something due to a magnetic field or something crazy like that. I found that if run the wire parrallel to any of the other wires, or the center pole (which the pin slot is located next to), the buzz returns.

Is this possible? I mean, how did things get charged up? i have one of those de-magnetizers that I plan on using to see if that helps, but beyond that, I'm truly at a loss as to what this might be. Any ideas?

I doubt this is it, but I had a snake that had one pair with the drain wire on the outside of the shield. Whoever made up the snake tucked it back in for the length of the shrink tubing, so it looked fine at the connector.

Brian Larson

Buzz in multi-pin.
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 01:37:57 AM »

Are you sure it's the snake alone that's causing the problem or a combination of the snake and a particular console/source/configuration/power source? You to be able to control every variable in order to determine the source of the problem.

bruce gering

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 07:02:14 PM »

Are you sure it's the snake alone that's causing the problem or a combination of the snake and a particular console/source/configuration/power source? You to be able to control every variable in order to determine the source of the problem.

Happened at the gig, happens now at home. Switched channels, the buzz follows the switch. It's just something that is causing the + wire to become sensitive to other wires or the center pole when it come in close proximity to them. I even tried wrapping shrink tubing around the wire thinking that there was a leak in the insulation...no luck.

I should also say that the multi-pin end does not even have to be connected to the snake. I get the buzz with just the whip being attached to the mon console. This is just driving me bonkers.

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, 07:22:41 AM »

Have you measured it with a volt meter relative to the other wires of the channel and some adjacent channels to see if there's some leakage somewhere?  A magnet isn't going to have any effect here.

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2013, 11:23:22 AM »

I like the quick and dirty checking tools like Dave Rat Tool, Whirlwind cable tester, and the Behringer cable tester. 

This is a very nice way to test cables quick. 

Has that channel recently been repaired ?  I find that the hum is usually a switch on 16 and 1 ground.   Or is there a needle of sheild that penatrated and connected to 16 creating a short? 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2013, 11:23:22 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 25 queries.