ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: What Wireless Router Are You Using For Mixer Control Via A Tablet?  (Read 9101 times)

Lance Richens

My Linksys wrt160n sucks. I'm looking for something small enough to sit in the case, behind my x-32 that will stay connected within at least 100'. I am looking at the airport express. I'd like to hear from others what they're using, the performance, range, and any helpful tips.....
Too Soon Old, Too Late Smart.....

Mark Olsen

• Canberra, Australia
What Wireless Router Are You Using For Mixer Control Via A Tablet?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 05:30:58 AM »

Airport Express for me .. Works great

Geri O'Neil

Re: What Wireless Router Are You Using For Mixer Control Via A Tablet?
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 07:44:51 AM »

Airport Express for me .. Works great

Netgear RD6300.

But I might move up to the Asus RT-AC66U. It claims to be a little faster, but I like the idea of external antennas. However, the Netgear has been rock-solid out to 200ft.

My previous unit, the Netgear WNDR4500 was rock-solid as well and it's still available and cheaper.

G

Scott Harris

• Subwoofer forum
  • Worcester, MA
    • Running Sound
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 09:34:43 AM »

Before you blame the router, have you made sure the antenna is sitting in open air away from all RF producing equipment?  I suggest putting it as high as possible on a table a couple feet away from your rack.  In other words, are you treating the wifi router the same as you do a wireless mic receiver?  If it's buried in a case don't blame the router.

Steve Anderson

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 09:39:36 AM »

[...] something small enough to sit in the case [...]
Might not fit in the case but you can't go past these and these from Ubiquiti

On putting them in the doghouse? I don't understand the scientific pros and cons (perhaps someone else can authoritatively comment), but I'm not sure I'd want a bunch of microwaves firing into my console and cabling from 6" away...

[...]have you made sure the antenna is sitting in open air away from all RF producing equipment?  I suggest putting it as high as possible [...]

The bullet is perfect in a big mic clip... and because you run the cat5/6 cable to the device there is no RF loss.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 09:43:17 AM by Steve Anderson »

Bob Cap

• Classic LAB
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2013, 10:13:05 AM »

My Linksys wrt160n sucks. I'm looking for something small enough to sit in the case, behind my x-32 that will stay connected within at least 100'. I am looking at the airport express. I'd like to hear from others what they're using, the performance, range, and any helpful tips.....

I use the Netgear N900 with my IPad 2. I connect to either my Yamaha LS9/32's or the Presonus mixers.

Works great. The only hassel is I need to tie up my laptop when I connect to the presonus for the firewire feed.

Bob Cap
AAI
Gilbert, MN

Daniel Lozada

• Gulf South Productions
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2013, 10:33:39 AM »

Airport Express (new/current generation) with my Mackie DL1608 - no issues whatsoever and very small footprint.
Gulf South Productions
PA: RCF HDL50/HDL30/HDL26/SUB9006, Dynacord Cobra, Dynacord Xa2, Nexo Geo S12, RS18
Consoles: Midas Pro2, Pro1, M32, M32R
RF: Shure UHF-R, PSM900, Professional Wireless
Lighting: Chauvet Professional
Lighting Control: Hog, Avo, Martin
Staging: Stageline, Staging Dimensions
Video: Blackmagic Design, Kramer, Decimator

Mississippi, US

Chris Eddison

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2013, 11:53:43 AM »

I'll echo the concerns on a wifi device within the dogbox. I know it probably wouldn't cause an issue, but i'm not one for taking risks.

Personally I use a Belkin N600 DB. It doesn't have an external aerial but it does seem pretty rock solid and also has a fully functioning USB port which is really useful for sharing a device. My Roland M480 doesn't have an ethernet port but it allows me to remote control it anyway via USB over wifi. Similar would maybe be possible for radio mics with USB (Trantec S5.3) - i'll have to give it a try.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2013, 12:03:55 PM »

I'll echo the concerns on a wifi device within the dogbox. I know it probably wouldn't cause an issue, but i'm not one for taking risks.

Personally I use a Belkin N600 DB. It doesn't have an external aerial but it does seem pretty rock solid and also has a fully functioning USB port which is really useful for sharing a device. My Roland M480 doesn't have an ethernet port but it allows me to remote control it anyway via USB over wifi. Similar would maybe be possible for radio mics with USB (Trantec S5.3) - i'll have to give it a try.

I've had a 2.4GHz access point in the doghouses of both SC48 and M7 with no ill effects to the console or audio.

It works fine for setup, but in most situation there are too many bags of salt water between it and me if I go out into the audience at show time... the WAP antennae need to be up in the air for reliable use in the situations I've encountered.

Asleep at the Wheel uses a 900MHz data link that is much more robust than 2.4 (higher RF output, no phones/tablets trying to connect).  Joe mixes with a Motion Computing tablet, though, not an iFruit.  I think it all came from Ubiquiti....
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Nitin Sidhu

• New Delhi, India.
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2013, 12:24:13 PM »

Netgear N-150.

Cheap and no issues with very regular use.
My RTA is always flat.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2013, 12:24:13 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 25 queries.