ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: What mixer would you recommend?  (Read 10703 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: What mixer would you recommend?
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2013, 11:57:56 AM »

Translated for you.

"Luke.... I AM your father."
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2013, 12:12:41 PM »

"Luke.... I AM your father."

Made my day!
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Al Rubio, Jr

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2013, 08:05:23 PM »

With the light-hearted turn this thread has taken, I take it that the narrowing down to a choice between the GL2400 & GB4 consoles is judged acceptable...?  ;-)

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2013, 08:25:24 PM »

With the light-hearted turn this thread has taken, I take it that the narrowing down to a choice between the GL2400 & GB4 consoles is judged acceptable...?  ;-)

Apparently.  I'm a big fan of Allen & Heath, but the GB4 has a few more features such as mute groups and 2 more auxes.......at least from a cursory Google scan.  If you could find the $$$, there are quite a few GL3300's going for around $2K with dual outboard power supplies, more auxes and meter bridge.  Most are coming out of church installs, so are clean but lack a road case.

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2013, 02:45:50 PM »

The A&H have pads on each channel…that may or may not be a selling point for you.  I think the low mid sweep goes lower in frequency, but can't check to be sure (on a gig).  I've used both, and as long as the operator knows what they want to accomplish AND the boards' limitations, either will work just fine.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2013, 03:05:09 PM »

http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,141713.msg1312026/topicseen.html#msg1312026

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
What mixer would you recommend?
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2013, 03:24:46 PM »

GB4 has 2 more auxes, mute groups, and I believe a steeper HPF which is nice. Didn't realize how much I preferred them steep until I used Digico.

But, the A&H has an additional fader for a cue wedge or a few things. That could sell me on it if it sat on monitor.

Can't really 'go wrong' here IMO... the biggest variable might just be which one shows up at the better price used.

Al Rubio, Jr

« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2013, 04:50:42 AM »

Thanx for the additional insights/details and the 'heads-up'!
Now that I've narrowed the options down a bit, I agree that it will probably end up being a 'right time/right place/right price' sort of ending for this quest!

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2013, 02:04:50 PM »

The Midas has an adjustable Q for both it's sweep-able mids. I have found that when you run it at a very narrow Q, the eq doesn't react like I would expect it to. Perhaps good for monitor use, but I have had no luck with narrow Q's at FOH.

The A&H GL series seems to have a thing where the Q of the mids narrows as you decrease, or increase the gain of that frequency. I have found that when you have to cut or boost more than 6db in any of the two mid EQ's that it will sound good at first and then start to go nowhere rather quickly.

The larger Q's sound more musical, but can effect more frequencies than needed. The Midas sounds very sweet when using wide Q settings and the A&H of course has no adjustable Q. Both desks sound really good, It's just been my finding that if you start to play god with them, they will put you back on earth. I say, sounds great when used properly, you can call it whatever you like : )
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2013, 02:04:50 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 25 queries.