ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Rack-mount DC distribution for mic receivers  (Read 13111 times)

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: Rack-mount DC distribution for mic receivers
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2013, 09:06:36 PM »

Wall-wart removers redux.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 09:08:10 PM by dick rees »
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Brian Larson

Rack-mount DC distribution for mic receivers
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2013, 09:16:32 PM »

power isn't something to be taken lightly..

It is when we're talking about 12v DC under an amp. No one is suggesting he do any mains level wiring. Read it again.

Josh Daws

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2013, 09:19:01 PM »

It is when we're talking about 12v DC under an amp. No one is suggesting he do any mains level wiring. Read it again.

can still damage equipment....

Sidney.Pilien

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2013, 10:06:54 PM »

That was the first idea, but the number of wall warts makes is difficult. They are rack mounted (all but two at least), but the racks they're mounted in are too small to use those big long rack power strips, and if we use a smaller, regular sized one we won't be able to plug all 8 units into one strip. So then we'll need multiple strips, which we're trying to get away from...

Did you run out of rack space? An 8 plug unit power distro usually takes a single rack space and accommodate 4 warts and use 4 wart removers like what Dick suggested for the other 4. What I did instead, I made my own 1 ft extension cords with parts from the hardware store.
Sidney Pilien  

As Schultze would say "I know nutting!"

Bob L. Wilson

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2013, 10:24:50 AM »

well i assume that you think that everyone does know what they are doing...i assume you know that he is competent in doing this? OBVIOUSLY you do....and it is quite possible that jason does know how to do. IDK...

power isn't something to be taken lightly...i personally have had some extreme close calls (including being electrocuted) from people doing things that "knew what they were doing" so before you give me ^@!$ for having someone elses interests in mind i suggest that if you are going be a complete dick to people you don't know that you get your head out of your ass if you can over your giant sized ego, and understand the perspectives and experiences of where people are coming from. just because you can buy a plug from HOME DEPOT and read a how to guide from google doesn't mean that you can or should wire a power cable.

oh..i will mention also that whilst this isn't something that in which i am 100% comfortable in doing personally...and if its something that i HAVE to do, i get other people that know and understand how to do this double and then triple check it with a tester. due to the nature of my own experiences i don't want the responsibility let alone the liability of having being the person responsible for electrocuting other someone...

sorry if what i said was a little harsh but understand that experiences don't make for a doosh responses...
Nice language, this response leads me to believe the problem may be exceptionally thin skin but even that can't explain life threatening electrocution by 12 volts.

Jason Lucas

• Hillsboro, OR, USA
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2013, 11:18:12 AM »

Did you run out of rack space? An 8 plug unit power distro usually takes a single rack space and accommodate 4 warts and use 4 wart removers like what Dick suggested for the other 4. What I did instead, I made my own 1 ft extension cords with parts from the hardware store.

The receivers aren't the only things in the rack, I wanted to be able to plug the other stuff in the rack in as well. We have enough rack space to have one or two rack-mount power units of some kind. I figured if we could power the mic receivers from a distro it'd look a lot cleaner and we wouldn't have a bunch of wall warts.

So if I think me and the other audio guys can rewire the receivers as Bob suggests successfully, I may try that.
There are three things I hate: Harsh highs, hollow mids, and woofy bass.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2013, 01:17:37 PM »

The receivers aren't the only things in the rack, I wanted to be able to plug the other stuff in the rack in as well. We have enough rack space to have one or two rack-mount power units of some kind. I figured if we could power the mic receivers from a distro it'd look a lot cleaner and we wouldn't have a bunch of wall warts.

So if I think me and the other audio guys can rewire the receivers as Bob suggests successfully, I may try that.

Just get the wart removers and you're done.

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2013, 02:55:18 PM »

A couple of Accell  power squids will take care of it neatly
Jay Barracato

Jason Lucas

• Hillsboro, OR, USA
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2013, 03:06:43 PM »

Wart removers and power squids just look like they'll make the rack look really messy. I really want this to look nice and clean.
There are three things I hate: Harsh highs, hollow mids, and woofy bass.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2013, 03:34:07 PM »

Wart removers and power squids just look like they'll make the rack look really messy. I really want this to look nice and clean.

No.  Squids, yes, wart-removers, no.  The wart-removers mount flush and solid to the rack.  The small wires from the warts to their units can be run through any of the various wiring harness products you want to use.  Very neat and clean.

Even I can do that......

Edit:

http://www.cabletiesandmore.com/WiringDucts.php

There is also a plastic "coil"-type product which will suffice.  I just can't think of what it's called or find a picture, but I've seen it used to corral multiple power cables in offices with computers, printers and the like.  But once in there, it's kind of locked up.  The wiring ducts will give you more flexibility for adding/removing wiring.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 03:43:17 PM by dick rees »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2013, 03:34:07 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 25 queries.