ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Rack-mount DC distribution for mic receivers  (Read 13123 times)

Jason Lucas

• Hillsboro, OR, USA
Rack-mount DC distribution for mic receivers
« on: January 16, 2013, 01:32:03 PM »

We have 8 wireless microphone receivers at my church. 3 different generations of Sennheiser and one Audio Technica receiver. That's 8 wall warts (or 7 + a power brick, in this case). This has been rather messy so me and one of the other audio techs at the church have been looking at possibly getting a DC distributor for the receivers.

Sennheiser makes a distributor/antenna combiner, but the one they make now only works with the G3s (which we only have two of). The unit that works with the G2s is no longer in production and pretty difficult to find (nothing on ebay, amazon, or any of Sennheiser's authorized dealers).

So I'm wondering if there's something 3rd party that we could use that would work?

The specs for the G2 receivers are:

Power supply: 10.5-16 V DC, nominal voltage 12 V DC
Power consumption: approx. 200 mA
There are three things I hate: Harsh highs, hollow mids, and woofy bass.

Sidney.Pilien

Re: Rack-mount DC distribution for mic receivers
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 08:42:08 PM »

We have 8 wireless microphone receivers at my church. 3 different generations of Sennheiser and one Audio Technica receiver. That's 8 wall warts (or 7 + a power brick, in this case). This has been rather messy so me and one of the other audio techs at the church have been looking at possibly getting a DC distributor for the receivers.

Sennheiser makes a distributor/antenna combiner, but the one they make now only works with the G3s (which we only have two of). The unit that works with the G2s is no longer in production and pretty difficult to find (nothing on ebay, amazon, or any of Sennheiser's authorized dealers).

So I'm wondering if there's something 3rd party that we could use that would work?

The specs for the G2 receivers are:

Power supply: 10.5-16 V DC, nominal voltage 12 V DC
Power consumption: approx. 200 mA

Why a dc distro? This is something that is used for commercial systems applications  like a computer room. etc. What you need is to somehow rack mount the receivers and route the plugs to a rackmount  a/c power distro unit like a Furman. The power supply converts a/c current  or voltage from any outlet to the correct d/c current for each unit. If the units are not rack mountable (they should have rakmout kits), then maybe you can build a rack with shelving for the units to sit on and the bottom shelf for the a/c distro. Hope this helps.
Sidney Pilien  

As Schultze would say "I know nutting!"

Jason Lucas

• Hillsboro, OR, USA
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 10:53:20 AM »

Why a dc distro? This is something that is used for commercial systems applications  like a computer room. etc. What you need is to somehow rack mount the receivers and route the plugs to a rackmount  a/c power distro unit like a Furman. The power supply converts a/c current  or voltage from any outlet to the correct d/c current for each unit. If the units are not rack mountable (they should have rakmout kits), then maybe you can build a rack with shelving for the units to sit on and the bottom shelf for the a/c distro. Hope this helps.

That was the first idea, but the number of wall warts makes is difficult. They are rack mounted (all but two at least), but the racks they're mounted in are too small to use those big long rack power strips, and if we use a smaller, regular sized one we won't be able to plug all 8 units into one strip. So then we'll need multiple strips, which we're trying to get away from...

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 04:33:43 PM »

That was the first idea, but the number of wall warts makes is difficult. They are rack mounted (all but two at least), but the racks they're mounted in are too small to use those big long rack power strips, and if we use a smaller, regular sized one we won't be able to plug all 8 units into one strip. So then we'll need multiple strips, which we're trying to get away from...

Would some of these help?  Plug your "warts" into these, then into a power strip/conditioner.  I simply use sheet rock screws or small bolts to secure these to the sides, top and bottom of the rear of a rack where I have multiple "warts".  A wrap of E-tape around the wart and the adapter to hold everything together and you're good to go.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 04:36:11 PM by dick rees »
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Bob L. Wilson

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 05:04:42 PM »

Huh? From what I can see G3 units also operate on nominal 12V DC but require about 350ma per unit. Get a ASA1/NT G3 distribution rig and change the ends or whatever as necessary to connect your G2 units if you want fuse the G2 legs to 200ma. If the AT receiver runs on 12V nominal no reason you can't adapt it as well. I have run a mashup of Telex, Shure and Sennheiser units off our EV UHF antenna splitter for outdoor events with no issues.

Josh Daws

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 05:54:55 PM »

Huh? From what I can see G3 units also operate on nominal 12V DC but require about 350ma per unit. Get a ASA1/NT G3 distribution rig and change the ends or whatever as necessary to connect your G2 units if you want fuse the G2 legs to 200ma. If the AT receiver runs on 12V nominal no reason you can't adapt it as well. I have run a mashup of Telex, Shure and Sennheiser units off our EV UHF antenna splitter for outdoor events with no issues.

recommending someone to change ends/plugs on anything power related is only asking for problems...

Bob L. Wilson

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2013, 07:07:22 PM »

recommending someone to change ends/plugs on anything power related is only asking for problems...

Sorry Jason. Josh has just informed me that he knows you are too stupid to change plugs or ends on anything power related, please disregard my earlier advice. Also I am going to have to ask you to please stay out of the electrical aisle at the hardware store or Home Depot.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2013, 07:46:35 PM »

Sorry Jason. Josh has just informed me that he knows you are too stupid to change plugs or ends on anything power related, please disregard my earlier advice. Also I am going to have to ask you to please stay out of the electrical aisle at the hardware store or Home Depot.

Bazinga!!!
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Josh Daws

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2013, 08:39:49 PM »

well i assume that you think that everyone does know what they are doing...i assume you know that he is competent in doing this? OBVIOUSLY you do....and it is quite possible that jason does know how to do. IDK...

power isn't something to be taken lightly...i personally have had some extreme close calls (including being electrocuted) from people doing things that "knew what they were doing" so before you give me ^@!$ for having someone elses interests in mind i suggest that if you are going be a complete dick to people you don't know that you get your head out of your ass if you can over your giant sized ego, and understand the perspectives and experiences of where people are coming from. just because you can buy a plug from HOME DEPOT and read a how to guide from google doesn't mean that you can or should wire a power cable.

oh..i will mention also that whilst this isn't something that in which i am 100% comfortable in doing personally...and if its something that i HAVE to do, i get other people that know and understand how to do this double and then triple check it with a tester. due to the nature of my own experiences i don't want the responsibility let alone the liability of having being the person responsible for electrocuting other someone...

sorry if what i said was a little harsh but understand that experiences don't make for a doosh responses...
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 09:17:51 PM by Josh Daws »

Jason Lucas

• Hillsboro, OR, USA
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2013, 08:56:41 PM »

While I don't personally know how to do what Bob is suggesting, I do know a guy who is a professional electrician who should have no trouble wiring up something like this.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2013, 08:56:41 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 25 queries.