ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wireless Buzz  (Read 2835 times)

Nathan Walker

Wireless Buzz
« on: February 23, 2013, 10:47:23 AM »

It's good to be back! So here's the deal. Our church has been blessed with an amazing sound system that has been set up and calibrated so well that in the four years I've been working with it, I've never encountered any issues that I would have to research to figure out. It was only when I bought some equipment for a friend's church that I ran into a bit of an issue with sound equipment.

I bought a couple used Shure ULXP4 receivers with ULX1 bodypacks. I went to our church to test them out. I used our Countryman E6 and tried each Shure system individually. I had the receiver sitting on the rail of the booth with the display facing me inside the booth. With the beltpack turned on and the gain set appropriately I was pleased with the sound. Then I leaned one way or another and started to hear a buzz, almost as if there was a short in the cable. I'm guessing it was RFI. When I moved outside the booth and towards the chancel (stage) the buzzing stopped immediately.

What's causing the buzzing, and should I look into getting an antenna distribution system for a pair of these?

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: Wireless Buzz
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 11:16:11 AM »

It's good to be back! So here's the deal. Our church has been blessed with an amazing sound system that has been set up and calibrated so well that in the four years I've been working with it, I've never encountered any issues that I would have to research to figure out. It was only when I bought some equipment for a friend's church that I ran into a bit of an issue with sound equipment.

I bought a couple used Shure ULXP4 receivers with ULX1 bodypacks. I went to our church to test them out. I used our Countryman E6 and tried each Shure system individually. I had the receiver sitting on the rail of the booth with the display facing me inside the booth. With the beltpack turned on and the gain set appropriately I was pleased with the sound. Then I leaned one way or another and started to hear a buzz, almost as if there was a short in the cable. I'm guessing it was RFI. When I moved outside the booth and towards the chancel (stage) the buzzing stopped immediately.

What's causing the buzzing, and should I look into getting an antenna distribution system for a pair of these?

There could be any number of devices causing buzz in your control booth. What is more important is how they work with the mic and transmitter on stage. Have someone else wear the mic while you monitor it in the booth. You will be able to see aif the RF levels are sufficient, and you will be able t hear if the mics buzz.

It is always best to have the receivers as close to the transmitters as possible, but if they must be in the booth, and the RFasd levels are low, you may need different antenna that provide some passive gain, such as shark fins or helicals.

Mac

Nathan Walker

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 12:34:02 PM »

My apologies. I went online and read the manual. Apparently one is supposed to keep the receiver and transmitter at least 5 meters apart. I think this is one of many reasons I was getting buzz. When I was on stage with the sound turned up, I had no issues.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 12:34:02 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 23 queries.