ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Trying to understand the basics, and upgrade questions.  (Read 4385 times)

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
Trying to understand the basics, and upgrade questions.
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2013, 06:19:11 PM »

Everyone is about to explain this you in more detail, you'll learn a lot, but the summary is:

1) Your crossover settings are not ideal. You should add a sub-sonic HPF on the sub amp (<30 Hz ish, Harmon will have settings) and definitely a HPF in the 715s in addition to the LPF you already have on the subs. Doing the first will help you get more out of the sub by filtering out frequencies the speaker doesn't even make very well. Doing the second will give you more headroom on the tops by filtering out "sub" content. These settings can be more loose but between Harmon settings and user recs here you'll figure it out.

2) Use the XTI limiters. You are misunderstanding the effect they will have. Peak level and average level are two different animals. You'll be able to push average level a little higher without peaking the amps with the limiters engaged - and more safely - promise! Harmon will have settings.

3) One 718 (powered any way) won't be able to "keep up" to with 715s to the standards of your genre. A well balanced DJ rig with 715s will need 2 x 718s. You can use one, but you'll run out of low before you run out of high IMO. The concept of "keeping up" is subjective but there are some well accepted relationships there.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 06:30:10 PM by Samuel Rees »

Scott Bolt

Re: Trying to understand the basics, and upgrade questions.
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2013, 08:18:03 PM »

Whoa, I did not expect so many replies, and so quickly! Thanks everyone who responded, I really appreciate your opinions and insights.

To answer questions posted by people, here is a bit more detail and information:

Firstly, I have DSP enabled on both amps. To be honest, I am not really sure what it does. The crossover is set at 100 for the sub, but disabled for the tops.

I don't really care much for stereo - it's just not important to me right now at the venues I play at.

Music selection is between hip-hop, rap, house, electro and dubstep.

I used to run with the limiters engaged, but, it would seem to me that by the default XTi settings (-3,-6,-12), I would effectively cut the power output by a drastic degree.
-3db = half power
-6db = quarter power

So, I turned it off, and became very religious about watching those LED lights. No problem so far, but, I hope my logic and reasoning is somewhat sound.

I guess that would account for the stories regarding people using a much more powerful amp on these types of speakers inasmuch as they want clip limiters?

As I said before, while my noobie status is apparent, I am determined to learn and take care of my equipment.

Thanks so much for your replies!

You should use the LPF and HPF on the sub.  Personally, I would put the frequencies at 80-90Hz and 30Hz.

What ever you set the higher frequency at (the LPF), you should set the HPF on the top amp to the same value (80-90Hz in my example).

For your genre of music, and your experience level, I would suggest selling your passive subs and going with powered subs (PRX618S-XLF x2).  These subs are already powered properly, limited, tuned perfect, and pretty much just sound fantastic right out the box without any fiddling.

They also contain the same drivers in them as the much higher scale VRX918SP subs do.

Go to your local guitar center and audition them.  I think you will be floored at how good they sound.

If you use the 90Hz cross-over in the XLF's your tops should work perfect from that output.

P.S. The driver in that SRX718S is not cheep to replace.

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: Trying to understand the basics, and upgrade questions.
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2013, 08:18:03 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 25 queries.