ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Best 48+ channel analog for under $7k?  (Read 50978 times)

Jason Lucas

• Hillsboro, OR, USA
Re: Re: Re: Best 48+ channel analog for under $7k?
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2013, 11:01:26 AM »

Roland and Midas are pretty close in price now, the GLD is as well.  We sold many Roland mixers, until the iLive chipped away some market, the GLD some more, the X32 some more, now with Midas it's all but done for.

The Midas Pro1 and Pro2C, maybe, but the full-sized Pro2 is still a pretty significant step up in price, and the Pro1 only has 40 channels and only 16 faders.

The GLD is about the same price range as the Roland, but still has fewer faders (although it has LED scribble strips which I love). The GLD also doesn't support remote control with a laptop like the Roland and iLive do.

EDIT: Corrected numbers.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 11:36:50 AM by Jason Lucas »
There are three things I hate: Harsh highs, hollow mids, and woofy bass.

Thomas Lamb

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2013, 11:52:12 AM »

The Midas Pro1 and Pro2C, maybe, but the full-sized Pro2 is still a pretty significant step up in price, and the Pro1 only has 40 channels and only 16 faders.

The GLD is about the same price range as the Roland, but still has fewer faders (although it has LED scribble strips which I love). The GLD also doesn't support remote control with a laptop like the Roland and iLive do.

EDIT: Corrected numbers.
Give it a week and a half. I bet the GLD will get an app! If not then it will be shortly there after.
bigTlamb

"If you suck on a functional analog desk, you'll really suck on a complex digital desk...." Dick Rees

Michael Robertson

Re: Best 48+ channel analog for under $7k?
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2013, 01:07:24 PM »

Every time we've rethought the channel layout on the board we've always tried to fit as much on to the first layer as possible so as to not have to switch at all. That plus the lack of sub-groups, the inability to send a channel to an AUX pre-dynamics (or make the EQ come before the compressor, as I like to do) plus no delay on outputs.

Our church used an 01V96 live for years. We ran 24 ch on it at all times. I will say the layers are rough, but at least with it we could have groups and a remote layer that allowed you to assign whatever channels to it in whatever order you'd like. That got us away from having to switch layers too much. Without groups that would be difficult.

Making everyone use one scene just seems laughable. Heck, I think I have four or five scenes in my own show file for our iLive. I've only used an MH3 once, but if the MH2 is anything like it's big brother and it fits your needs it would be a great option.

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2013, 02:56:26 PM »

Give it a week and a half. I bet the GLD will get an app! If not then it will be shortly there after.
There may also be many other new products or product improvements in a week and a half as that is the Winter NAMM show.  As an increasing percentage of mixers, and especially digital mixers, fall more into the 'MI' rather than 'pro' market and distribution then an increasing number of the related product announcements may coincide with MI events rather than with pro audio shows or events.

Jason Lucas

• Hillsboro, OR, USA
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2013, 06:18:50 PM »

I have to wonder why the Midas offline editor only works on Mac?

For kicks and giggles I downloaded the offline editors for the Soundcraft Si/Vi, Yamaha CL, iLive and of course Roland boards, to see how they compare, but I can't use the Midas one because it's Mac-only. Doesn't make much sense to me.

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2013, 07:13:48 AM »

My church paid $7000 for our digital mixer and I was curious as to how much that would fetch in the analog world. I honestly don't think the board we got is the best fit for us. But it works well enough, and we already bought it.
Don't forget the cost to cover any of the signal processing and effects that you use on your digital mixer.

Jeff Carter

• Kitchener, ON, Canada
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2013, 02:37:13 PM »

Don't forget the cost to cover any of the signal processing and effects that you use on your digital mixer.
Everything he uses, or only the processing that would actually be worth the time and money to buy and patch in?

Maybe it's a character flaw on my part, but if I had to go back to analog and start wrestling around with cables to patching in dynamics (let alone paying for them) I'm sure I'd conclude that they weren't worth the hassle in a lot of cases.
Mothers, don't let your babies grow up to be physics PhDs

Jason Lucas

• Hillsboro, OR, USA
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2013, 07:47:36 PM »

Everything he uses, or only the processing that would actually be worth the time and money to buy and patch in?

Maybe it's a character flaw on my part, but if I had to go back to analog and start wrestling around with cables to patching in dynamics (let alone paying for them) I'm sure I'd conclude that they weren't worth the hassle in a lot of cases.

Honestly, even though I have access to 24 dynamics processors on our board I only use 5 or 6 at the most. If we had an analog console I'd probably only get 2 or 3 stereo comps/gates and 2 effects processors. I often only use 1 effect during a whole song set.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2013, 07:57:46 PM »

On the other hand, one could say that "if I had to be limited to just the onboard comps and gates, I'm sure I'd conclude that I like being able to select the quality and feature set of my premium analog gear".

Two sides to every coin.

While I appreciate the convenience of "everything on every channel", I don't use "everything on every channel".  Eight channels of the best comps (with de-essing), 6 really good gates, multi-band comps for every sub-group and my favorite FX processors are hard to beat until you get up in the high$$$ digital consoles with enough power to use low-latency plug-ins.

Jason....

Evan Hunter has just listed a nice 48 channel Soundcraft GB8 in the Marketplace.  He's a good fellow.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 08:02:06 PM by dick rees »
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Jason Lucas

• Hillsboro, OR, USA
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2013, 08:29:04 PM »

On the other hand, one could say that "if I had to be limited to just the onboard comps and gates, I'm sure I'd conclude that I like being able to select the quality and feature set of my premium analog gear".

Two sides to every coin.

While I appreciate the convenience of "everything on every channel", I don't use "everything on every channel".  Eight channels of the best comps (with de-essing), 6 really good gates, multi-band comps for every sub-group and my favorite FX processors are hard to beat until you get up in the high$$$ digital consoles with enough power to use low-latency plug-ins.

Jason....

Evan Hunter has just listed a nice 48 channel Soundcraft GB8 in the Marketplace.  He's a good fellow.

Well, as I said in the OP the church isn't actually looking for a new board right now, and probably won't be for another few years. And who knows what will be out in the market by then, or how much we'll have to spend on a new board at that time.

Right now we're a lot more concerned with getting new speakers and an IEM solution (which we may have found).

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2013, 08:29:04 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 25 queries.