ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Best 48+ channel analog for under $7k?  (Read 51001 times)

Kent Thompson

Re: Best 48+ channel analog for under $7k?
« Reply #60 on: January 24, 2013, 10:30:26 PM »

GLD looks like the steady product in the cheap digital mixing world. Feature full, steady enhancements, reasonable price and they aren't racing to the bottom like the rest.

the only thing that I am wondering about is the construction of the pm units. The top and back with the connectors looks to be metal but the sides and bottom look to be plastic. Once they are available I might try and arrange to get one and check it out. We have been looking for a cost effective solution for a pm.

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #61 on: January 25, 2013, 10:11:22 AM »

I'm sure after a certain point it's simply not feasible to have everything on the same layer, and then sub-grouping of some sort becomes necessary. I think intellegent grouping systems can make up for a low fader count. Sub-groups, DCA/VCAs, "POP" groups like the Midas has, etc. I think if it's layed out in a way that makes sense, layers really won't get in the way.
I agree that it is not just how many faders but how they function.  24 faders in one big bank is very different than 24 faders split as three banks of 8 faders.  Working with fixed fader or layer assignments is different than flexible assignments.  Working with multiple layers without electronic scribble strips, assignable color coding, etc. is different than with electronic scribble strips, assignable color coding, etc.  And so on.

For example, if I can assign any 8 'money' channel to one layer on 8 faders, assign other inputs to layers on another 8 faders as I want and independently select the layers for those 8 faders and also have 8 faders I can independently switch between aux send, DCA and matrix layers, that provides much greater functionality than simply having 24 faders that I can switch between 1-24, 25-48 and aux/VCA/matrix layers.

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
Best 48+ channel analog for under $7k?
« Reply #62 on: January 25, 2013, 11:33:24 AM »

24 faders in one big bank is very different than 24 faders split as three banks of 8 faders.  Working with fixed fader or layer assignments is different than flexible assignments.  Working with multiple layers without electronic scribble strips, assignable color coding, etc. is different than with electronic scribble strips, assignable color coding, etc.  And so on.

That's a good point. The Digico desks have banks of 12 (2 on the SD8-24, 3 on the full size), each one banks independently, has detailed scribble strips, and is fully assignable between inputs outputs VCAs groups and etc, and each bank has 8 layers. You can quickly and easily bring up inputs 1-36 on all banks, then move back to VCAs / groups / inputs. That really helps, layers are more unpleasant on an LS9 or my SiC really. GLD looks very good on that front.

Jeff Carter

• Kitchener, ON, Canada
« Reply #63 on: January 25, 2013, 12:28:02 PM »

That's a good point. The Digico desks have banks of 12 (2 on the SD8-24, 3 on the full size), each one banks independently, has detailed scribble strips, and is fully assignable between inputs outputs VCAs groups and etc, and each bank has 8 layers. You can quickly and easily bring up inputs 1-36 on all banks, then move back to VCAs / groups / inputs. That really helps, layers are more unpleasant on an LS9 or my SiC really. GLD looks very good on that front.

Yup, it's possible to lay out a GLD just about any way you want. The only downside... I've mixed about a half-dozen services at my church on it so far and haven't yet figured out yet exactly which way I want it.
Mothers, don't let your babies grow up to be physics PhDs

Kent Thompson

« Reply #64 on: January 27, 2013, 07:20:15 PM »

Yup, it's possible to lay out a GLD just about any way you want. The only downside... I've mixed about a half-dozen services at my church on it so far and haven't yet figured out yet exactly which way I want it.

About twice a year I sit down with the editor and rework my shows and switch everything around on the surface lol.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #65 on: January 27, 2013, 07:56:47 PM »

So apparently the best "48+ channel analog" is digital.......
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #66 on: January 28, 2013, 07:12:18 AM »

So apparently the best "48+ channel analog" is digital.......
even digital boards are analog some places in the chain.

Jason Lucas

• Hillsboro, OR, USA
« Reply #67 on: March 07, 2013, 08:39:52 PM »

Just to satisfy my own curiosity, I compiled a list of digital mixers that met the following requirements:

*At least 40 input channels
*At least 20 faders on the control surface (not including main/master faders)
*Has a remote digital snake option that can send at least 40 input channels over cat5.

Here is the list I came up with, sorted by price from highest to lowest, using "retail" price (which in this case means whatever Sweetwater or FullCompass charges):

Yamah CL3                               $36,297
Avid VENUE SC48 Remote System $36,000
Allen & Heath iLive-176               $35,998
Allen & Heath iLive-144               $32,998
Allen & Heath iLive-112               $28,998
Midas PRO2                               $24,995
Allen & Heath iLive-80                 $22,998
Yamaha M7CL-48ES                    $22,799
Allen & Heath iLive-T112              $21,998
Allen & Heath iLive-T80               $19,998
Roland M-480                            $16,985
Allen & Heath GLD-80                  $13,397
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 08:50:01 PM by Jason Lucas »
There are three things I hate: Harsh highs, hollow mids, and woofy bass.

Frank DeWitt

• LBP DI Box
« Reply #68 on: March 08, 2013, 08:53:38 AM »

Just to satisfy my own curiosity, I compiled a list of digital mixers that met the following requirements:

*At least 40 input channels
*At least 20 faders on the control surface (not including main/master faders)
*Has a remote digital snake option that can send at least 40 input channels over cat5.

Here is the list I came up with, sorted by price from highest to lowest, using "retail" price (which in this case means whatever Sweetwater or FullCompass charges):

Yamah CL3                               $36,297
Avid VENUE SC48 Remote System $36,000
Allen & Heath iLive-176               $35,998
Allen & Heath iLive-144               $32,998
Allen & Heath iLive-112               $28,998
Midas PRO2                               $24,995
Allen & Heath iLive-80                 $22,998
Yamaha M7CL-48ES                    $22,799
Allen & Heath iLive-T112              $21,998
Allen & Heath iLive-T80               $19,998
Roland M-480                            $16,985
Allen & Heath GLD-80                  $13,397

You can add SAC to that list.  It would be under 7K
Not to Code

Jason Lucas

• Hillsboro, OR, USA
« Reply #69 on: March 08, 2013, 10:57:33 AM »

You can add SAC to that list.  It would be under 7K

SAC is a completely different animal though. Plus it doesn't have its own hardware, so in order to meet the "at least 20 faders" requirement, you'd need to buy some Behringer BCF2000s or something similar (I'm not counting virtual faders in this case). That and if you want 40 input channels over cat 5 you'd need to buy some 3rd party digital snake, which would add a few thousand dollars to the price.
There are three things I hate: Harsh highs, hollow mids, and woofy bass.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #69 on: March 08, 2013, 10:57:33 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 24 queries.