ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Best 48+ channel analog for under $7k?  (Read 51279 times)

Frank DeWitt

• LBP DI Box
Re: Best 48+ channel analog for under $7k?
« Reply #50 on: January 23, 2013, 02:36:56 PM »

I think the best digital consoles of ten years from now are going to look a lot more like a Heritage with a screen. I think things like layers, multiple uses for buttons and encoders, will still exist for portable and small format use but the best digital is going to mature in to something that looks a lot like LFA.

Amen to that. +1  I hope mfgs see this.  Every single time I need the fader for channel 37 I want it to be right where I left it and where I can see it.

Frank
Not to Code

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
Best 48+ channel analog for under $7k?
« Reply #51 on: January 23, 2013, 03:12:12 PM »

Perhaps I don't deal with channel counts high enough to properly annoy me, but layers just have not really bothered me yet. I work on the SD8-24 and the full size 36 fader SD8 often, and I don't madly wish they were both full size. It's nice I suppose, but 36 inputs, 12 outputs plus fx returns feels fine on just 24 faders. I learned the earliest basics in analog, but I've put in way more hours on digital than analog since then. I'm sure 24 faders would get real tight real fast on a 96 input show, but I'm sure the Vi4 would manage it fine and that's still tons less than 1 fader per input. Clearly YMMV, and maybe it'll change for me as I get into bigger stuff,
who knows.  Just my thoughts.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #52 on: January 23, 2013, 03:34:25 PM »

I can even see an option which would come up on-screen:

"what do you want to do?" to which you would enter your task either from a menu selection or selections or type in your topic.  The pertinent info would pop up either from the manual or simply on-screen with the desired operation highlighted on the screen.

Patch FX to channel?  Click here on the routing diagram.

"How can I help you, Dave?"

this is a topic swerve, but i think it's an interesting thing to think about.  in the early days of analog live mixers there were many different layouts and control combinations.  some worked well.  some did not.  gradually the market moved all the designs to a pretty similar layout, and any large format analog desk from the last decade or so is laid out and functions very similarly.

i think the digital world will evolve in the same manner.  each manufacturer will weigh the pros and cons of a particular UI, and implement what they feel is the best solution.  but over time, the differences are going to filter out until we have digital consoles that all look and feel very similar to each other.  what that look and feel is going to be is anyone's guess.  it'll be interesting to watch and see how it all shakes out....
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #53 on: January 23, 2013, 03:49:44 PM »

this is a topic swerve, but i think it's an interesting thing to think about.  in the early days of analog live mixers there were many different layouts and control combinations.  some worked well.  some did not.  gradually the market moved all the designs to a pretty similar layout, and any large format analog desk from the last decade or so is laid out and functions very similarly.

i think the digital world will evolve in the same manner.  each manufacturer will weigh the pros and cons of a particular UI, and implement what they feel is the best solution.  but over time, the differences are going to filter out until we have digital consoles that all look and feel very similar to each other.  what that look and feel is going to be is anyone's guess.  it'll be interesting to watch and see how it all shakes out....

I can see things boiling down to one, two or three "standard" operating systems with modular, user-configurable control surfaces......or vice versa.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Jason Lucas

• Hillsboro, OR, USA
« Reply #54 on: January 23, 2013, 04:13:39 PM »

Perhaps I don't deal with channel counts high enough to properly annoy me, but layers just have not really bothered me yet. I work on the SD8-24 and the full size 36 fader SD8 often, and I don't madly wish they were both full size. It's nice I suppose, but 36 inputs, 12 outputs plus fx returns feels fine on just 24 faders. I learned the earliest basics in analog, but I've put in way more hours on digital than analog since then. I'm sure 24 faders would get real tight real fast on a 96 input show, but I'm sure the Vi4 would manage it fine and that's still tons less than 1 fader per input. Clearly YMMV, and maybe it'll change for me as I get into bigger stuff,

I'm sure after a certain point it's simply not feasible to have everything on the same layer, and then sub-grouping of some sort becomes necessary. I think intellegent grouping systems can make up for a low fader count. Sub-groups, DCA/VCAs, "POP" groups like the Midas has, etc. I think if it's layed out in a way that makes sense, layers really won't get in the way.

The first mixer I used was a Mackie TT24. It had 24 input faders, like the Roland, but it also had 4 sub-group faders. Between the two I never really had a problem with layers. The Roland has no sub-groups, but it does have DCAs. The DCAs would be great except that they're on a separate layer. Because of that I basically never use them, where as I frequently used the sub-groups on the Mackie.
There are three things I hate: Harsh highs, hollow mids, and woofy bass.

Kent Thompson

« Reply #55 on: January 24, 2013, 01:50:00 PM »

My only gripes with the GLD are that it has fewer faders than the Roland (although it's less of an issue because you can put anything anywhere) and the lack of remote control (which I assume they'll fix soon).

The Roland board retails for $10k, the snakes each go for about $2k. The GLD is $9k and the main rack unit is $2200, with 8 in/4 out units costing $1200. So they're about the same price.

http://www.allen-heath.com/UK/News/Pages/NewsDetail.aspx?NewsId=647 Just posted today

and this
http://www.allen-heath.com/UK/News/Pages/NewsDetail.aspx?NewsId=646

So now the GLD has an iPad ap and a personal monitoring system.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 01:56:41 PM by Kent Thompson »

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #56 on: January 24, 2013, 01:59:11 PM »

http://www.allen-heath.com/UK/News/Pages/NewsDetail.aspx?NewsId=647 Just posted today

and this
http://www.allen-heath.com/UK/News/Pages/NewsDetail.aspx?NewsId=646

So now the GLD has an iPad ap and a personal monitoring system.

Now all they need is the off-line editor for setting up theater stuff and I'll drain the bank account.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
Best 48+ channel analog for under $7k?
« Reply #57 on: January 24, 2013, 02:35:06 PM »

GLD looks like the steady product in the cheap digital mixing world. Feature full, steady enhancements, reasonable price and they aren't racing to the bottom like the rest.

Jason Lucas

• Hillsboro, OR, USA
« Reply #58 on: January 24, 2013, 06:16:50 PM »

Now all they need is the off-line editor for setting up theater stuff and I'll drain the bank account.

+1
There are three things I hate: Harsh highs, hollow mids, and woofy bass.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #59 on: January 24, 2013, 07:05:04 PM »

The only time this bothers me is on desks with 16 faders on top. And then, it's mostly when I'm doing a walk up gig. 16 faders just isn't quite enough for most shows, but with careful planning it's still doable...
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #59 on: January 24, 2013, 07:05:04 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 24 queries.